Verticle Jigging reel speed

Started by jonnou, June 28, 2014, 11:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

Just wondering if anyone has an idea about retreive speed for verticle jigging? I am looking at various options for about 300g jigs for Kingfish in New Zealand  4.5:1 or 5.8:1 or even 6.1 to one.
I have used a Okuma cnv55  4.0:1 found it ok in 300meters but not quite right in 100meters.

MFB

I have a Shimano speed-master IV they're 6:1 ratio, haven't done much jigging with it though. I have just got a Daiwa monster mesh 300g spin/jig rod which I am pairing with a Shimano 8000 stradic (4.8:1). The higher the ratio means you have less mechanical advantage, that is the handle will be harder to turn. An longer handle arm and oversize grip will help. Where are you fishing? 300m is a long way down for kingies that's usually puka territory. If you're up Tauranga way and targeting 40kg plus fish a 6:1 will be hard work.

Rgds

Mark     
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

jonnou

Yes 300 meters was for Puka and Bluenose. Hooked a bluenose on the first drop but lost it on the surface as the hook loosened from all the bangin of the jig.Hope the poor thing made it back to the bottom ;D I have just bought a speedmaster which I spooled with 50lb braid I will be using this for snapper off the west coast here in Dargaville. I am looking at maxell reels as I have the opportunity to buy wholesale :) I will be jigging out from Taupo bay Northland mostly for Kings in 100m or less.
thanks for the info sounds like the 4.5;1 should be the easier one to use
cheers Jon

johndtuttle

Quote from: jonnou on June 28, 2014, 11:08:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone has an idea about retreive speed for verticle jigging? I am looking at various options for about 300g jigs for Kingfish in New Zealand  4.5:1 or 5.8:1 or even 6.1 to one.
I have used a Okuma cnv55  4.0:1 found it ok in 300meters but not quite right in 100meters.

It depends on how heavy your jigs are and what speed is required to get bit.

The Jigging Master guys designed their reels for 4:1 for fishing to 100+ meters and 400gm jigs. Rod action becomes more important at slower speeds, imo. They do have remarkable cranking power.

However, if you are fishing 30 meters and 200gm jigs then a 6:1 reel might be very nice (effort saver) particularly if the target species likes a fast moving jig ie Kingies. 6:1 can be tiring on a big fish though.

2 speeds can be nice when hard fighting fish are deep. They cost more coin.

Truly, it is going to come down to what you like and your fish like, pretty impossible to predict it's kinda personal preference based on your own experience, how the fish respond, rod choices and fitness.

jonnou

thanks that helps alot leaning towards the 4.5:1 I like my gear to be versitile
thanks Jon

fishtaco

Buddy, it is not how fast you jig, it is how you make that jig move.

It can be very slow, very fast, or in the middle,  depending on fish and other factors
I have been jigging for say 6 years? catch them slow jigging and crazy fast jerking

the best bet for  beginner is to do a short stoke, one turn of the reel per one lift
one per second , get used to that, keep the jig moving steady

put the rod on your armpit and watch the tip moving as you stroke
nice and controlled pace, count the times you reel
you should get bit before 30 jerks .

practice at home to get the involving muscles in shape

I hope that helps
eddie
Have a great day

jonnou

thanks for the advice still getting the technique down
Last time I was out it was hard to Jig as we had such good livebaits and a long day ahead of us
only ended up with a small Mako though
Best Jon

Tiddlerbasher

The Okuma Andros is very versatile being 2 speed. It is a lot of reel for the money. The Boss did a rebuild of one:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1804.0

otghoyt

When working heavy lures from the bottom, the idea is to work the depth that the fish are at.  The yo-yo isn't about ripping a Jig from the bottom to the top as fast as possible.  All lures do their best dance at different speeds.  It's about working the stratosphere where those bad boys hang out. Then dropping back down and work it through the zone again and again.

The little ones will be higher up trying to nail some free eats (chum) and freespool chovies. You will find the bigger ones will be below all of that mayhem. That's when you want to adjust the jig weight to work in that zone.  Similar to surface iron because you're getting to the zone from the top and not from the bottom.  Yell at the captain to call out the depth to help you count down the lure to work in the zone   Then it's hard and fast with some tip action in between.

There are a lot of studies that are resolute about light wavelengths and how  fish can see the colors underwater.  The bottom line is color in the purple, violet range is discernible by fish at greater depths than reds and yellows.  UV colors have shown some real promise on hoochi skirts and other soft body lures.   The real important deal with a lure is that they need to resemble something they have eaten recently.  Their memory is said to be about three hours so to entice a strike you need to excite an instinct to strike.  

Your technique for swimming your lure will get more strikes than changing colors every twenty casts.  Putting it in front of them and then either pissin 'em off or offering up what they think is free eats.  There's your hook-up!  I'll try anything before I tie on something different, I'll even squirt on scent!  

ALASKAFISHMAN

I have to agree with WOTHoyt, each jig,lure or fly will have a better action at a certain speed.  Thats the starting point for each jig.  Mix it up some times a bit slower, or a bit faster.  You will find the combination that they are liking that day.  Make a jig change if you are not catching fish.  We have one drift out of Seward for ling and rock fish that is about 1/2 mile long, I change the lure 3 times.  We hit the sea bass first, then the lings & yellow eye then the Halibut. 

Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

anglingarchitect

In the Gulf Of Mexico most everything can be caught on Jigs, sometimes they like it ripping fast sometimes they hit on the fall, some like scamp right on btw, other like Red Snapper way up in the water column.

It's a fun way to fish, and when they hit it is exciting and no doubt a hit.