What tutorial to use for a TL 100 G

Started by kmstorm64, July 03, 2014, 11:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Can't seem to find a tutorial for a TL 100 G, what would be the next closest thing?
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

kmstorm64

Picked one up new  recently, it is a small graphite reel, looks to be a decent Kayak reel for the salt.  Two things I wanted to do before I use it, was oil/grease it internally and replace the pint sized handle on it.  While the handle replacement sounds easy, the handle arm is thin in thickness and width, which makes me want to look want to know if there is similar shimano arm that would fit that has more beef to it that could handle something larger handle wise?  Set up with a Trevela or an Ugly Stick GS-2 rod I think this would make a good inshore combo that would not break the bank nor be heavy as hell, with a low maintenace value. Exactly what kayakers like on West Coast for trolling & bottom fishing.

alantani

i have a great handle for that reel.  it's a stainless steel copy of the shimano tld 15 arm and i put a 3/0 grip on it.  the cost is $40 for the handle arm, which is likely more than the reel is worth, but it DOES make a great kayak reel.  very tough and durable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thinket

just my 2 cents on tr 100g.  i have 10 tr 100g and 8 tr 200g. excellent reel for all fish with alan's handle.  havent used for tuna yet.  all inshore fishing no problem.  i've caught 30lbs halibut, salmon, big mean stripers 25+ pounds.  just this tuesday while fishing rockfish @ moss landing, my son took a 5 ft thresher for a ride.  we would have boated it if not for whimpy shrimp flies breaking off.  ...shimano makes a power handle for the tr 100g.  it is well balanced and has a fine grip. however, i think the problem with the shaft/arm is it is too long as i have had kids that have used the reels bend 2 spool shafts.  i think its because of too much torque & wobble.  

i have not tried alan's arm yet but i have drilled out the knob on the stock handle and bolted on alan's knobs - 6.  for over 3 seasons no problem & lots of fish.

hey alan,  how long is your arm?

oops not spool shaft, shaft that the handle turns.
thanks,
ralph  

kmstorm64

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2014, 07:02:26 PM
i have a great handle for that reel.  it's a stainless steel copy of the shimano tld 15 arm and i put a 3/0 grip on it.  the cost is $40 for the handle arm, which is likely more than the reel is worth, but it DOES make a great kayak reel.  very tough and durable. 

You sold me on it!

alantani

the arms are an exact copy of the tld 15 arm.  kevin, ralph, both of you guys should swing by the house sometime and take a look at these.  they are really very nice.  there is always cold beer in the frig.  i am home saturday if you have time!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kmstorm64

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2014, 11:16:20 PM
the arms are an exact copy of the tld 15 arm.  kevin, ralph, both of you guys should swing by the house sometime and take a look at these.  they are really very nice.  there is always cold beer in the frig.  i am home saturday if you have time!

1st weekend of the month means off defending Santa Rosa from the force of Evil, or better known as National Guard duty weekend.