Another greased drag question.

Started by mackereljoe, August 07, 2010, 08:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe

Just service my Avet mxl and EX40.  I greased the drag and wiped it just like the tutorial.  I still hear a little friction noise from the drag during optest, but did not affect the smoothness, so went back and brush-in more cal drag grease enough to see that it was greased (fingerprint amount).  After testing with spring scale, I'm satisfied with the amount of drag and it is smooth.  The MXL have #25 line and the EX40 with #50 line. 

What can go wrong without wiping the drag?  I did not notice any significant lost of drag with it.  Also, i don't have any of the blue greased and just greased every parts with cal grease, got lazy and just wipe away those red grease that comes with it.  Will this harm the reel?  Appreciate any reply. Thanks.   

Bryan Young

There are a couple of manufacturers that know of use only Cal's grease in the reels.  It's a reel and drag grease.  Just more expensive than blue grease.  Good stuff.

I asked Alan the same question and I believe he said that by wiping the excess grease off drags will allow your reel to freespool better so that the excess grease does not add friction due to the excess grease between the drag washer and the drag plate. 

If it's a trolling reel, I don't think it makes a difference.  If you are casting, it may make a difference.  All my lever drags are trolling reels, so I'm not very concerned with wiping excess grease off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

You should be fine with Cal's as long as any old grease is thoroughly removed. Mixing greases or oils often leads to congealing (hardening). After some use, do another freespool and drag test to see if the reel is still working as well.
Good luck on the bite!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

mackereljoe

Thank you for the reply.  Yup, it's the free spool thing that got affected by not wiping the drag fiber.  It definitely slowed it down enough so that fly-lining an anchovy could be a problem.  There's no way I would have figured that one out.  I was stump yesterday why distance was a bit shorter than before,  now i know. 

Also, different grease being mix together got me a little worried.  Next free time, it will be a total clean-up and will follow the tutorials as close as possible.

Appreciate the help, thank you.   

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: mackereljoe on August 08, 2010, 10:53:23 PM

Also, different grease being mix together got me a little worried.  Next free time, it will be a total clean-up and will follow the tutorials as close as possible.

Appreciate the help, thank you.   

If you left only a small amount in the corners, you will be okay for several months or longer. Just do a thorough cleanup at next service and don't let large amounts get mixed together.

We all like to help each other!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

deezydee

Quote from: BryanYoung on August 08, 2010, 06:25:11 AM
There are a couple of manufacturers that know of use only Cal's grease in the reels.  It's a reel and drag grease.  Just more expensive than blue grease.  Good stuff.

I asked Alan the same question and I believe he said that by wiping the excess grease off drags will allow your reel to freespool better so that the excess grease does not add friction due to the excess grease between the drag washer and the drag plate.  

If it's a trolling reel, I don't think it makes a difference.  If you are casting, it may make a difference.  All my lever drags are trolling reels, so I'm not very concerned with wiping excess grease off.

I have just serviced two shimano tyrnos 8 and 10 single speed reels and am having a problem setting the drags, i`m using a digital scale to set them but the adjustment knob only has to be moved a fraction and it moves about 3-400grams. I1m fishing 2 and 3 kg line to this is a major concern, i used cals grease and wiped of the excess, any suggestions as to what i have done wrong? cheers John.

Bryan Young

My first guess would be the adjustment know cam is set in incorrectly.  Try pulling it out and rotating it 180 deg.  Ah, I cannot think of anything else at 3:30 am.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

from all the use of cal's ive found that if you  buff off the grease with a good rag, you will notice the rag turn black. after buffing ( by hand ) you will see the cross hatch is more defined. sometimes you will notice the drag is smooth and no cross hatch (weave pattern) add the cal's and rub it off good, and look at the differnce. 

alantani

nothing is free.  when you stiffen up the belleville stack, you get big jumps in drag pressures with even small turns of the preset knob.  that is the trade off.  as far as excess grease goes, i would still wipe off all the excess.  it looks really awful to have grease splattered all over the insides of the reel, even if it does not affect function.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!