Rod that can do both jigging and boat rod

Started by Marcq, July 17, 2014, 11:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Quote from: Marcq on July 21, 2014, 05:49:26 PM
Thanks guy  8)

I'm starting to gather parts for my build. I've seen jigging rods with gimbals, is it necessary ? Would also like to make it a two piece rod, handle+blank but can't find the hardware for it, I don't even know how to call it  :-\

Marc..

I think it's personal preference whether to add a gimbal. You can always put a butt cap on a gimbal. I put them on all of my heavier rods since I wear a rod plate. It sure made a difference for me yesterday.
Central Florida

Marcq

Quote from: floating doc on July 22, 2014, 03:10:46 AM
Quote from: Marcq on July 21, 2014, 05:49:26 PM
Thanks guy  8)

I'm starting to gather parts for my build. I've seen jigging rods with gimbals, is it necessary ? Would also like to make it a two piece rod, handle+blank but can't find the hardware for it, I don't even know how to call it  :-\

Marc..

I think it's personal preference whether to add a gimbal. You can always put a butt cap on a gimbal. I put them on all of my heavier rods since I wear a rod plate. It sure made a difference for me yesterday.

Not sure what they are  for, keeping the rod from twisting during a fight ? Just saw some rubber ones, I could go with that

Marc..

floating doc

The gimbal keeps the rod straight whether it's in a rodholder or on a plate while fighting a fish. With the gimbal the rod is locked in much more securely, and I find that I can put a lot more pressure on a fish that way. Plus, I'm not all bruised up from the rod butt.
Central Florida

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 18, 2014, 12:14:27 AM
I am going to build an 8 foot Lamiglas jigging rod and use it to fish for snapper on the bottom. The stiffness of it should yank one away from the reef real good.

+1 on this reply. I picked up a Lami 8ft extra heavy inshore rod that was marked down 4 times because it looks like a jigging/casting lures rod and nobody saw it's potential, ($300 rod for $79) but it can yank a Ling or Cabbie from the reef in a split second on a shallow water drift, when it matters. I can plug for Hali's, stripers, Lings from shore and jig or drift from a boat with lightning fast reflexes from the STIFFNESS that Newell Nut mentioned. Fast action Lami & Loomis blanks have set the standard for this type of application.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.