A little side project of mine....in bamboo.

Started by the rockfish ninja, July 21, 2014, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I had an old bamboo rod that was refinished by it's previous owner, problem is he never stripped the old varnish and just painted over the dark old crusty stuff. A real mess but with a good amount of surgeon like scraping I was able to clean it up and replace a guide. The biggest challenge was creating a "jasper" spiral thread to match the other windings so it would produce the spiraling patterns once wrapped. Paired up with an equally vintage cast-o-matic knuckle buster and I can cast it approx 30 yds. Not bad for a rig that probably hasn't caught a fish since the 1960's.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

sundaytrucka

Looks nice!

What line/drag rating would you give the rod?

I never really looked into bamboo sticks.  I think I will do some research and try to make one, really get some double looks on a So-Cal party boat.

Thanks for posting.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Alto Mare

Very nice Job rockfish ninja .
Some of the hand crafted vintage bamboo rods can get up there...thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Man!! Those oldies are my thing, nostalgia? Maybe, I just like stuff that have a story to tell

Great job  8)

Marc..

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: sundaytrucka on July 21, 2014, 11:34:38 PM
Looks nice!

I never really looked into bamboo sticks.  I think I will do some research and try to make one, really get some double looks on a So-Cal party boat.

Thanks for posting.

:D I wouldn't try to pull anything stronger than a planted rainbow trout at one of the local pay to fish lakes. LOL! But the restoration project was a good distraction from the recent theft of my Avet SX MC & Diawa surf rod. :'(

the rockfish ninja

Thanks everybody, it went well but even though my wrap was pretty good, it was still a couple notches down from the workmanship and materials of the original work. They used an exceptionally high quality silk thread that I couldn't obtain, so I did my best with the silk from the fabric store. Lubing the old Cast-o-matic reel made a difference too.

Islandgypsy

Nice work, Rockfish Ninja!  I acquired a bamboo salmon trolling rod with turned wooden handle and Plueger 
" nuckle buster" reel ( no drag ) years ago in Washington state. At some point in it's life the guides were re-wrapped with what appears to be dental floss. Hangs over my office doors....if that old rod could only talk, bet it would have stories to tell!

ossipeter

Good work! Where did you get the guide? I´m looking for the same one, also for a rattan-rod.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: ossipeter on July 23, 2014, 06:06:19 AM
Good work! Where did you get the guide? I´m looking for the same one, also for a rattan-rod.

A local shop that no longer carries rod parts, try mudhole, they have a lot of different guides, if I didn't find it locally (which I try to do mostly) I would have ordered from them or an outfit like them.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 22, 2014, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: sundaytrucka on July 21, 2014, 11:34:38 PM
Looks nice!

Thanks for posting.

:D I wouldn't try to pull anything stronger than a planted rainbow trout at one of the local pay to fish lakes. LOL! But the restoration project was a good distraction from the recent theft of my Avet SX MC & Diawa surf rod. :'(
Somebody stole your rig? That is my worst fear. I usually take all my gear out and the rods last. I never take my eyes off them. Nothing worse than a thief. >:(
Life is Good!

johnachak

[/quote]

I am really sorry to hear about the theft. That soooooo Sux. Glad you have this project though.

handi2

I have some bamboo rods from the same manufacturer. They have the same sticker on them...

Who made them?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: handi2 on July 25, 2014, 09:49:35 PM
I have some bamboo rods from the same manufacturer. They have the same sticker on them...

Who made them?

Montague rod co. , check out what the market is on them, mine was not a high value item but some of their fly rods & heavier rods are worth thousands.