15 pound mono for stipers

Started by mrbrklyn, July 30, 2014, 11:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Ahab

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 01, 2014, 08:21:38 PM
15 pound test also popped on the lift. 

Ahhhh - do not lift with light line  (not sure how you could lift if you drag was set as loose as you post anyway?)

It is better for you and the fish to use the correct line for the job - get your self some 30 lb braid and a 25 to 50 lb shock leader

Can you land a striped bass on light line - sure, but it takes much longer and puts a lot of stress on the fish - you will probably kill it fom screwing around with it for such a ling time

30lb PP or Sufix - thinner then your 15lb mono - lasts forever

Ron Jones

I have recaught several black bass that I used light line on in ponds. They never seemed worse for wear the second (or third) time around. There is a place in Port Angeles that is a private catch and release pond that has trout and steelhead that have been caught over and over and over with fly rods, many of wich were lighter than they could have been.

The way I see it, a light rig can't horse the fish, it may exhaust the fish but it clearly causes less damage. I fish everything as light as I can get away with. I always have and see no need to change.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 02, 2014, 04:49:01 AM
Many factors can come into play as to why you may be breaking off fish. The line rating to rod stiffness may be one but if the drag is set correctly as you state it was in my mind it would be one of the lesser causes.

The number one cause I would look at is the knots use. Number two would be the line it's self such as was it damaged from knicks or abrasions or has the line seen many hours of direct sunlight? Number three is the hooks, do they have any burrs or can the line get caught in the gap of the hooks eyelet/ring as a 6/0 is a pretty big hook for 15 lb test? Number four would be a sticky drag in your reel. Number five would using 15 lb line in the first place. The lighter the line the less damage it can take before failure and the lighter the drags the longer you will be on a fish, maybe longer then needed where only bad things can happen.

For me these would be the first things I would look at.

EDIT: Also right at the top of the list I should of stated was the line you are using in fact breaking at 15 lbs? I have seen mislabeled line before and bad line comming strait from the manufacture. Even very good manufactures have a bad spool of line get away from them from time to time.

Ruben:  Here is very good advice.  Socal is right on.  Check these things and I expect you will find one or more of these problems since you are breaking off so often.  Also like Capt. Ahab said if your drag was set at 5lbs the line should have slipped and not broken.  You should do much better after following the advice in this thread.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johnachak

I use 30# Power Pro with a fishfinder, 4-5' 30# fluorocarbon leader, 6/0 gammi or owner octopus hook. When Eeling in the fall, with bigger fish around I go to 40# Power Pro and a 40# leader with the same terminal tackle. Stripers like structure and one nick in 15-20# and you are done. Just my experience and opinion of course.

Alto Mare

You would get away with #20 while chasing birds with the boat in the fall, the problem is that the blues will do a number on your line no matter what, unless you use wire leaders.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johnachak

Since we do usually catch several a night and the limit here is one fish over 28" and a second if it is over 40". We end up releasing many smaller fish in the 30-39" range.  My main reason is using 15# test would have a bass pretty much spent by the time you get him / her to the boat. We're trying to keep the unnecessary mortality to a minimum. Also, by the time you mess around with a 36" fish on light line, you could have let that 30#er swim by.   If you just go out with light tackle to catch a striper and you keep that fish for the table, then yes, I can see using 15# line and gear. If you keep the rod in hand and set the. Hook quickly, the Blues get mouth hooked and don't pop the line. If a whole school of blues moves in and they hit the bait from all directions, I would go to a Steelon braided black steel leader. If y o u can get it through the Blues to the bottom for the Bass. It doesn't seem to spook them as much.

fishtaco

Hi
I fish big stripers on freshwater dams, it is a challenge
I noticed the fish is line shy, when fishing bait we had to drop down to 6# to get bit

Line is not a problem when trolling, or when popping and or reeling fast a swimbait
but with passive bait an clear freshwater, they just ignore our offerings,
we also have to hide the hook in the bait to get bit.

the fish tires quick, compared with other species I fish
so a little patience and they just float

hope that helps.
eddie
Have a great day

BMITCH

Quote from: mrbrklyn on November 11, 2014, 07:14:02 PM

If we had 4 fisherman from Sheepshead Bay on the water out of SF, they would have given a good lesson and brought home a few more fish, I think.

Wow
luck is the residue of design.

Aiala

I grew up fishing Fire Island, Montauk, Sheepshead Bay, etc. Yes, there were many excellent fisherman, including two wonderful old pros who taught an eager youngster (me) how to surf-cast for blues. But being the well-mannered gentlemen they were, they never would have claimed to "fish circles around" anyone, especially other anglers.

As for Indian Joe, li'l Ant & Co., let's see them pull on a 350-pound Clarion Island cow and see how long it takes them to dissolve.   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bucktail

Although I've caught plenty of fat stripers on 12 - 17 lb mono, there's really no reason to use 15 lb line while vertical jigging on a party boat.  25 and up is about right.  They are usually not line shy in that situation.  Back bay, shallow water is another story...
Just a jig-a-lo

BMITCH

I'm with Bucktail on this. On a head boat there is really NO reason to go light. Not only are we trying to get the fish to the boat, but we are more than likely to have other factors involved (like other lines) on our fish. Heavier is better in this situation. That is if you really want to catch fish instead of just hooking fish. I'm usually using 30# braid with a 6 to 10 foot mono leader of 30# to 40#. If the braid is not allowed then usually I'm using straight 25# to 30# mono.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bluefish69

Most boats here use 40# for everything because they put it on the rental rods for the none Fishermen. Without these people there would be no PB's. The only boat that I know of that used lighter line was the Capt. Lou Fleet & we fished in the Bay all the time for Fluke & Flounder.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.