Penn International 12 Drag ?

Started by CarolinaCustomReels, August 18, 2010, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarolinaCustomReels

Do you think it would be possible to stretch 12-15# of drag out of an International 12? I have a customer who is getting 4-5# consistently out of his trio of reels, and would like heavier drag pressures to fish braid with them. Thoughts?

Phinaddict

Maybe change the belville stack from ()() to (()) . See where that gets you. Then maybe remove the thrust washer and add a fifth one, (())). Not sure if removing the thrust washer will work though....

If it is an old 12h, it might be worth upgrading to a Dura Drag. Come to think of it, if its only able to generate 4-5 lbs. of drag, something needs fixing anyway.....I think.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

i've got one and i have to add a bearing sleeve.  check for slipping spectra as well.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CarolinaCustomReels

Alan, how much drag are you getting at strike before loosing freespool on yours? I just want to set a baseline expectation of what the reel is capable of before I start work, as I haven't done one of the 12s before.

alantani

figure maybe 15 pounds at the very most.  they are not very large reels. alan

ReelFishingProblems

Pulling this post out of the attic for a light dusting off,

One, does anyone have Bellevilles for the original 12s?
Second,
Alan you said you used a bearing sleeve, do you remember the specifics on it?

Thanks
Nick

alantani

i have to mike everything out.  it's been so long.  finding brass tubing material was just a matter of making a trip to the local hardware store.  the sleeve has to be cut by hand and it's very tedious.  for the bellevilles, let me know the dimensions of the stock bellevilles and i'll figure something out for you. 

Reel 224

If I'm understanding you guys the right way and If your asking for a Spacer sleeve, then I could make one to the specification for it in SS. Just post the specks.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ReelFishingProblems

The Bellevilles are:
ID 6mm
OD 12mm
Thickness 1mm
Height just under 1.5mm

Joe,
What would a SS spacer like that cost?

Nick

thorhammer

Joe, figure costing for  three if the sleeve also fits 12T. I need two. Nick, I'm back home finally, and will try to measure the 12T bellevilles. I'm sure mine could stand to be replaced as well and I'm looking for 12lbs drag if I can get it to fish 40lb mono topshot. I caught a 30 lb cobia on 30 mono off a wreck with one of them so I should have no problem with our mahi...I don't think one of them, ever built could drag a cobia around...

David Hall

6lbs was the most I could get out of mine even after messing with the bellvilles.  so I sent it to Cal Sheets.  now I can get 22 at strike and a smooth ramp up to 40 at sunset.  but then for the money I put in this reel I could have bought a Mak 20 SEA.

alantani

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on December 17, 2018, 07:50:30 PM
The Bellevilles are:
ID 6mm
OD 12mm
Thickness 1mm
Height just under 1.5mm

Joe,
What would a SS spacer like that cost?

Nick

i have flat washers that have a 6mm inside diameter, but no bellevilles. 

ReelFishingProblems

A guy at work says he has a parts reel 12 that is in reel rough shape.
I'm going to buy it from him and see what we're working with.

John, maybe it will have a thrust bearing for you

richard

I ended up removing the belvilles and replacing with flat washers .
Goes up to about 12 lb with free spool ,measured direct from full spool .Greased drag ,smooth ,very slight handle binding.Nice reel.

thorhammer

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on December 17, 2018, 11:13:19 PM
A guy at work says he has a parts reel 12 that is in reel rough shape.
I'm going to buy it from him and see what we're working with.

John, maybe it will have a thrust bearing for you

lemme know. i may need other stuff from it if you don't. one of mine is kind of rough.