Calstar 330-B ???

Started by CooldadE, August 06, 2014, 02:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Hi Jon, I picked up a Calstar 330-B blank. Have you any experience with this blank? It seems to have a double line rating on my suppliers site...
Thanks,
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

SoCalAngler

I think the 330's were rated for 20-30 lb test. I don't think Calstar makes that blank any longer as most here on the left coast would use a 870 or 970 for that line class.

Give Calstar a call and talk to Pat, Leon's wife or if he is not too busy Leon himself.
310-538-0535

CooldadE

Thanks for the insight! Calstar might not make them any more but my supplier was able to get 1 directly from them. Maybe because its a less than popular blank Calstar has them laying around...
Cool

Jon Vadney

Hey Cool, I have never built a 330 and don't remember ever playing with one.  SocalAngler gave you the best advice, give leon a call. 

CooldadE

Thanks , Ill do that...
Cool

Ron Jones

Mudhole lists the 330-B as 7ft, 40-60#, moderate action. I bet it would be nice for flylining big bait to 100# or so tuna.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CooldadE

I just called and talked to Calstar. They said the mudhole listing is wrong. The T 330 is a 20 to 30 lb blank. Old school and durable . Med to heavy jig / bottom rod popular in the day as a rough and tumble charter rod.
I be building it deckhand style with Pacbay foul proof guides.  I've got to hand it to Calstar , I got great coustomer service and background info on the blanks ...
Cool

Ron Jones

Cool, sounds like a great dropper loop rod for the early fall/late spring 3/4 day bottom fishng trips.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jon Vadney

Cool, Thank you very much for posting the update in the thread!  We can never have too much information!!!  Also, when you're done building it, post pictures, I'd love to see it!

CooldadE

Will do...in the interim I might post some of my earlier rods.

CooldadE

Your rod work is Awesome by the way!

Jon Vadney

Quote from: CooldadE on August 08, 2014, 12:36:29 AM
Your rod work is Awesome by the way!

Thanks man!  and post yours up! I'd love to see 'em!