Shimano Triton Mark IV S Tutorial (of sorts)

Started by Quoc_Pham, August 09, 2014, 06:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Thanks for clarifying Basto, it looked like graphite on the pics. Now I need to get my hands on one ;D, I really like what I see in that reel.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

I knew you would like it Sal.   It is a quality star drag.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

hurt locker

Make sure to check out how the thrust bearing works in conjunction with the star and the entire drag stack. Kind of unique..... Hurt Locker

pbb

"The gear assembly and housing should separate easily. If not tap on the main gear shaft lightly and it should pop out (I already removed the gear stack)."

Any advice if it's stuck and "tapping lightly" isn't cutting it?

hurt locker

Quote from: pbb on November 15, 2014, 05:33:35 PM
"The gear assembly and housing should separate easily. If not tap on the main gear shaft lightly and it should pop out (I already removed the gear stack)."

If you look at the picture that shows the AR dog, you will see the AR dog on a tall post. That post slides into a machined hole in the side plate and sometimes corrosion builds up around it. Try spraying some penetrating oil in the 4 bolt holes that hold the bridge in place and keep tapping lightly. I had the same problem on a couple of mine and just had to keep working it loose.

Bryan Young

Amazing how that reel looks like the Daiwa aluminum Sealine series reels, like the 300H.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pbb

Quote from: hurt locker on November 19, 2014, 01:25:54 PM

If you look at the picture that shows the AR dog, you will see the AR dog on a tall post. That post slides into a machined hole in the side plate and sometimes corrosion builds up around it. Try spraying some penetrating oil in the 4 bolt holes that hold the bridge in place and keep tapping lightly. I had the same problem on a couple of mine and just had to keep working it loose.

Awesome, Hurt Locker, that did the trick.

Now that I've got it apart (which was originally to deal with the freespool lever getting sticky, can anyone tell me the correct carbontex drag washers (or kit) for the Mark III mag? (My understanding is it is also the same as the Mark IV with/or without the Mag)? I might as well upgrade the drag while I've got it apart.

hurt locker

Quote from: pbb on November 22, 2014, 08:18:43 PM
Quote from: hurt locker on November 19, 2014, 01:25:54 PM

Awesome, Hurt Locker, that did the trick.

Now that I've got it apart (which was originally to deal with the freespool lever getting sticky, can anyone tell me the correct carbontex drag washers (or kit) for the Mark III mag? (My understanding is it is also the same as the Mark IV with/or without the Mag)? I might as well upgrade the drag while I've got it apart.

All of the Triton XHS series reel parts are the same on the handle side. I use 3  of the Penn 113h carbon plates and 2 of the 47sh black plastic plates under the gear. They are thin so I use 2. Got everything from Smoothdrag. Cals grease on everything.

I also have a 1+5 stack from a Penn 113H that I got from Smooothdrag in a Triton 300.  Used 2 of the 47SH plates under the gear also. Had to bend the ears down on the top eared washer. Again Cals grease on everything. Had to file the keyed washers just bit to make them fit over the driveshaft and the eared washers are not a perfect fit but the drag is very smooth and works well. This is sold as a kit but you will have to add the 2 pieces from the 47SH. You have to be very careful of the height tolerances on the Triton XHS reels.

Please  take a second and and note how the Big thrust washer and the 2 cone washers in the drag stack work to keep a very steady even pressure on the drag stack and spread the pressure to the outside of the drag stack.

When you re-assemble it, sqeeze the bridge and side plate together and line up the engage lever. trip the lever back and forth while still squeezing and you will feel everything snap into place.

I have several of these and use them to fish for Big Blue Cats on the James River. Love Em!!!!!!!!!!

pbb

So I have both a Mark III Mag and I just got a Mark IV Mag.

I am cleaning the Mark III because the clutch lever started getting really sticky.

But I also opened up the Mark IV, and it seems to be missing a piece.

On the plate on the III there is a brass piece in the hole that the spool "axle" goes through, but that's absent on my IV.

I can't see a part number on the schematic. Is that even supposed to be removable? Does it have a part number?

It seems like the reel works without it, but there would be some danger of bending the "axle" if one was fighting a heavy fish (or trying to break off a snag).

(I am attaching a pic.)

hurt locker

Quote from: pbb on November 23, 2014, 02:17:05 AM
So I have both a Mark III Mag and I just got a Mark IV Mag.

I am cleaning the Mark III because the clutch lever started getting really sticky.

But I also opened up the Mark IV, and it seems to be missing a piece.

On the plate on the III there is a brass piece in the hole that the spool "axle" goes through, but that's absent on my IV.

I can't see a part number on the schematic. Is that even supposed to be removable? Does it have a part number?

It seems like the reel works without it, but there would be some danger of bending the "axle" if one was fighting a heavy fish (or trying to break off a snag).

(I am attaching a pic.)

Two of the ones that I have are also missing that piece. They have all made 4 trips to the James and I have experienced no failures at all. Actually, I just discovered those missing pieces a couple of months ago. Took all of mine apart and found out that 2 are missing that piece. All that I can say is that I have not experienced a problem from it.

FatTuna

Nice tutorial. Looks like a decent reel too.

pbb

OK, thanks Hurt Locker. I'll treat it as a feature, rather than a bug. Thanks.

barkley1956

Is there a way I can see the original pictures? Al I see is a photobucket logo

Quoc_Pham

Let me see if I can fix the pictures, in the meantime I'll provide a link.

Quoc_Pham