Okuma Trio 40s ....

Started by Steve-O, August 13, 2014, 06:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

i realize this reel is somewhat new out there but was wondering if anyone has had a chance to fish one, yet.

I just ordered one and will carry it with me up to AK next month for casting to Silvers on the salt and freshwater.

My Pflueger® Supreme XT reel was waaaay undergunned for the JATO assisted Coho last fall and I had to fall back on my Abu level winds.  But I enjoy casting the light Aerojigs so a decent spinning reel is needed but not really wanting to buy a Van Staal.

Three se7ens

I have one, and I loved it at first.  The reel is solid, and drag is good(fantastic if you upgrade to carbon fiber), and feels quite nice.  My complaints are that servicing it is a nightmare.  Okuma started using a new anti reverse system, and the trio was one of the early reels to get it.  The rollers are not captured in a cage like most, they are only contained by a thin ring.  It took me 45 minutes with tweezers and lots of cussing to get it back together.  Mine also started losing its smoothness after only a couple of fishing trips, and I haven't even caught anything big on it. 

I still like mine despite that, and it's my go-to inshore reel.  I just think while some aspects of the newer okumas are nice, some parts have been downgraded compared to the older ones.

Steve-O

Hey triple 7,

Thanks for the reply. I will keep that in mind once I get it and start fishing it. Plenty of Carp season left here and they pull pretty strong.  Since joining here and learning reel tech, I have started to take better care of my tackle. In particular the initial tear down and re-grease, switch to carbon drags and loosen the drag after each session, and clean freshwater rinse everything after salt fishing.

Tiddlerbasher

In the UK I use Okuma Trios alot. 30 and 40 for pike fishing and 55, 65, 80 for lure and bait sea fishing. The 30 I used for barramundi fishing in Thailand - The locals were surprised such a small reel could cope  :). Carbon drag washers with Cals are a must - I get up to 26/27lbs from the larger Trios. Becareful when stripping and greasing etc. Run the AR bearing dry or a drop of corrosion X. The eliptical gearing has to be precisely aligned (check the user pamphlet). I also shimmed the the handle drive shaft to reduce lateral play on a couple of the reels.

Steve-O

Excellent!  The devil is always in the details. Have read about the elliptical gears needing the correct alignment. Alan says you'll know if you goofed it up or not. I plan on being very persnickety when I open it up. May even do some macro pics before the tools come out. Carbon drags and Cals grease is a no brainer. All my Penns and other conventional reels have been "serviced" the AT way.
Some of the reports and reviews on other sites note the occasional hit or miss on QC with these and other reels. So fingers crossed first. Then diagnose and adjust. Thanks, Tiddlerbasher!

Three se7ens

There is a dot on both the elliptical gear and the gear it mates with on the main gear shaft.  Honest make sure they are lined up when you reassemble It, and you will be fine. 

Here's the dimensions for the Trio 40s drag washers:  3 pieces 0.210" ID x 0.889" OD for the top drag, and 1 piece 0.955" ID x 1.355" OD for the bottom drag.  1mm or 0.040" thick

Steve-O

Quote from: Three se7ens on August 14, 2014, 08:14:01 PM
There is a dot on both the elliptical gear and the gear it mates with on the main gear shaft.  Honest make sure they are lined up when you reassemble It, and you will be fine. 

Here's the dimensions for the Trio 40s drag washers:  3 pieces 0.210" ID x 0.889" OD for the top drag, and 1 piece 0.955" ID x 1.355" OD for the bottom drag.  1mm or 0.040" thick

yea, I figured some reel engineer would make it easy to line up the gears with dots or arrows or something

Drags--SWEET! makes it easier to swap in the carbon and out with the felt.

thanks again, 777!

Steve-O

The Trio 40s arrived and it sure looks and feels like a lot of reel for the buck. After a once over to check it out I swapped out the greased felt drag washers for carbon drags. Talk about stopping power. Although I only tried the felt drags by hand before I even spooled it up with line, the power of the carbon drags at just near the half way to lock down tight was surprising for such a small spinning reel.

I put 150 yards of 20 # Power Pro on it, mated it to one of my GL2 Salmon rods and took it out in the back yard "river".

The kiddos were jumping rope and generally goofing around at sunset so I asked "who wants to be a fish?"

"ME, ME, ME!" was the reply in unison.

I had a Sharpie® Marker tied and tape on to the end of my line for casting snag free into the grass so I went "fishing".

The first "fish" was a bull dog and felt like a 18 -20 pound Chum Salmon making repeated long screaming drag runs requiring great effort and no small skill to turn back up stream before spooling me or wrapping me up in the trees. Had to dig the GL2 handle into my hip and lay the rod down on it's side to really apply enough power to turn my quarry.

The drag was silky smooth start up to finish even when I cranked it in past the halfway point where it felt like line or rod breaking tight.

I think the Silvers in Alaska next month are in for a hurt-load of lip stretching! ;D

handi2

I have 2 that sit out on my dock for the last 3 years and none of them have corroded in anyway. They work great and the AR system has never failed. I pre service every reel I get and have had no problems at all.

This is how I test new reels buy leaving them out in the weather. Others have corroded but these are like new. The Penn fierce and Battle start losing there finish and corrode easily.

The best way to test a new small spinner is to give it to a 12 year old grandson and see how long it last's and works. The Okuma's have outlasted all the others..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

I tested my Coronado 40 for max drag a while back out of curiosity. It has a similar size and arrangement as the trio, and I managed to get 33 lbs out of it. Bear in mind though, there is no was the reel could have survived long at that drag with a fish on the other end, but it shows the drag is extremely powerful. In practice, it means the drag will work very well at the drags it's designed for.

Steve-O

Quote from: handi2 on August 19, 2014, 02:33:46 PM
I have 2 that sit out on my dock for the last 3 years and none of them have corroded in anyway. They work great and the AR system has never failed. I pre service every reel I get and have had no problems at all.

This is how I test new reels buy leaving them out in the weather. Others have corroded but these are like new. The Penn fierce and Battle start losing there finish and corrode easily.

The best way to test a new small spinner is to give it to a 12 year old grandson and see how long it last's and works. The Okuma's have outlasted all the others..!

Interesting reel testing techniques...to say the least. I guess keeping them in the box off season does nothing for them. Wait a second ! there is no OFF season in fishing.

I kayak fish as well as carp fish from the bank and spend a week torturing my gear in Alaska each year.

I think my testing methods still pale in comparison to giving it to a 12 year kid without thinking twice about it. yeow!

Hoping the Trio passes the test in Alaska next month. I'll be in salt and fresh water up to my chest for most of the week. Salt, Rain, River silt, Muck, Fish Slime and Me. That should give it a go.

I freshwater hose them down vigorously after ocean fishing each time ...so fingers crossed.

I appreciate the responses.