TLD15 maintenance

Started by JEW, August 23, 2010, 11:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEW

One other note.  Just looked at another reel.  When I take that one out of freespool, the spool shifts to the right (towards the handle, drag assembly).  The reel I took apart has the spool shifted to the left and does not move when you move the lever drag. 

JEW

I took the reel back apart and reassembled.  Cannot find anything inside.  I'm 99% sure my mistake is installing the lever and the preset knob.  Any tricks of the trade to know?

Bryan Young

If that's it, make sure when installing that the lever is in free spool position before installing the cam.  Some reels have 2 or even 3 different positions (just learned that yesterday from Jim Nomura).  Then install the pre-set knob and slide the level and see if there is any bite  If not, slide the lever back to free spool, tighten down on the preset knob slight and try again.  If too much bite or no bite, then remove the pre-set knob, pull the cam out and try another postion.  Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

what bryan said .....  can you let us know?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JEW

I did not have the preset knob installed correctly.  If you read above, I was not able to turn the preset.  I put a pair of pliers on the knob, tightened it down and it works great.  I can now turn the knob easily.

Still have bearing questions from above.  The reel also doesn't feel as smooth to me as it should.  It's basically exactly like it was; it's certainly not worse.  Should I put in the new bearings?  If so, I only have 2 bearings.  How do I tell if a bearing is bad.  The small bearings have the shields on them, the big bearings have shields on one side.  I cannot get the sheilds off. 

Thanks for the advice. 

JEW

Got the 1st one together figured I'd try a second.  This one is in much worse condition.  Got everything apart & back together but got another problem with the preset.  The brass/copper piece that goes inside the lever is stuck to the preset knob.  Any ideas on how to get these apart?  I've got corrosion-x all over them right now.  We'll see if that works.  JEW

JEW

Bearing Question - How do I decide if a bearing is shot?  I changed out 1 in the second reel that I did.  The bearing I took out had some surface rust on it but it spun pretty good.  Not sure if it needed changing or not.  Thanks for the help. 

Same question for drag washer.  How is a drag washer deemed needing to be replaced?

JEW

Ebay has 10 7x17x5 bearings, no shield, stainless steel for $50.  I have 4 tld 15s and 6 25s.  Are these bearings good for these reels?  This is much cheaper than smoothdrag or charkbait.  JEW

alantani

if they are abec5 stainless, you should be fine.  it's just hard to be sure,  there should be a code stamped into the shields (but these have none) or printed onto the outside race to verify the type of bearing, abec rating, and materials used.  i'd rather see you order from smoothdrag.com and not take a chance. 

to check a bearing. just push on the inside race and turn it.  if it is rough at all, toss it.  surface rust is your first sign of trouble. 

the cam and preset knob commonly stick together.  get a big pair of pliers, grab the cam. twist the knob by hand and let's hope it comes apart. 

check out the bearing post to help get the shields out.  keep in touch.  your're doing great!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Russ57

I buy a lot of bearings for pumps and motors.  Quality and price are all over the place.  I wouldn't touch ebay unless the name was stamped on the bearing and it was in the original package.  Used to be all I'd buy was american and european.  Now the japanese make quality bearings as well.

I'd advise you find the industry standard number for your bearings.  IIRC you need a pair of SMR126 and a pair of SMR697 but this depends of when your reel was made.  I'm sure Alan can help you out here.  Then you can compare prices from known bearing supply houses.  Or you can spend a bit more and go with a proven source.  Boca bearings orange seal line is one such alternative.  They have ceramic balls in a stainless case with a non-contact seal.  They run about half again as much.  Say 40 bucks for regular stuff and 60 for them.  Total overkill in many ways but if you re-lube a couple times a year they should out live you.

At all depends on how much you like your reels and what they are worth to you.  I happen to think the smaller TLD's are great little reels.  If you have been pleased with them a new set of bearings is worth the money IMHO.

OH....if you buy the Boca's be aware they come un-lubed but they will lube if asked to do so.  Oil offers best performance and ease of re-lubing but grease requires less mantenance.

JEW

I think I have a pretty good handle on these reels.  I've cleaned and greased two of my 25s as well. 

I've messed up one of the handles, though, on a 15.  I stripped out the set screw that lets you take off the black piece on the handle.  I then made it much worse.  Should I drill out the hole and put a really small bolt or is there another solution?  Thanks. 

Bryan Young

Some of those screws/handles strip easily.  Just check the locking nuts holding the handles before and after each fishing trip.  You should not have any problems.  If you want a added assurance, you can re-tap them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JEW

I've had the chance over the last 2 weekends to use my reels.  Caught a few fish and have noticed a consistent problem...the clicker is pretty much non-existent on all of them.  Before the service there was no grease on any of them, since I've greased them, the clicker no longer works.  Any connection?  Must be something I've done as it's on all the reels.  Thanks; JEW.