Shimano Stradic 8000fj: Service Tutorial and Maintenance Tips

Started by johndtuttle, August 08, 2012, 08:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

Guys I realize this is an OLD thread but I have two Stradic 8000 FJ's that I still use and recently serviced. Incorporated into each spool is a line keeper where you can tuck the tag end of the line under the line keeper to keep the line from un-raveling from your spool. These line keepers are black plastic and a spring situated inside the spool keeps tension on them. Unfortunately the black plastic piece has broken on each of my reels and that part is not available from Shimano. Does anybody have any idea where I can purchase these replacement line keepers. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Gfish

Try this Shimano # from the Irvine facility: 1-877-577-0600. Doubtful if they have it though, the FJ models are over 10 yrs. old.
I had one. Don't know if it was a manufacturing error, but mine would leak saltwater down past the drag knob, into the bottom of the spool where it would corrode.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

tarpon one

Thanks for the reply, I spoke with a person at that facility yesterday. Surprisingly Shimano is still supporting the Stradic FJ, considering its age, and I ordered some parts for it yesterday. The problem is the little black plastic line keeper doesn't have its own part number and is considered part of the spool.I was hoping someone had a secret part # or maybe even a part # from another reel that would work Thanks again

Gfish

Yeah, no separate part #. It does come outta there, though. You may haveta look for a couple of old spools. Or possibly make the clips...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: tarpon one on June 27, 2023, 09:51:27 AMThe problem is the little black plastic line keeper doesn't have its own part number and is considered part of the spool.I was hoping someone had a secret part # or maybe even a part # from another reel that would work Thanks again

maybe its time for something like this ..
The Baja Guy

tarpon one

I'll most likely just glue it in place to prevent saltwater intrusion as I usually keep the reel mounted on a rod with the line strung through the line guides and secured in the hook holder.
Thanks guys I was just hoping somebody knew a secret part number.

steelfish

Quote from: tarpon one on June 27, 2023, 05:07:23 PMThanks guys I was just hoping somebody knew a secret part number.

most if not all modern spinning reels dropped that clip out from the spools probably because breaking all the time.

that said, I have some not-so-modern small freshwater shimano spinning reels with that line clip and use it as well, always taking care of not breaking it because I have broken many on cheaper reels before.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

I like that Mustad line tamer. I could use a few of those. Some of my reels sit on the appropriate rods and some sit on a shelf till I decide to use 'em.