Help choosing first conventional trolling reel

Started by Settin_hooks, August 22, 2014, 07:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Settin_hooks

I had a long explanation for what I will be using it for but in short.

Trolling and bottom fishing, 30lb mono, dorado, wahoo, tarpon, cobia, sails, kings.  This is my first trolling setup, looking into

-Shimano TLD 20ii 2speed
-Penn Squall 16 2 speed
-Release SG
-daiwa saltist in similar size?

What do you guys recommend for a newbie to conventional and trolling?  Thanks in advance!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Settin_hooks on August 22, 2014, 07:31:09 PM
I had a long explanation for what I will be using it for but in short.

Trolling and bottom fishing, 30lb mono, dorado, wahoo, tarpon, cobia, sails, kings.  This is my first trolling setup, looking into

-Shimano TLD 20ii 2speed
-Penn Squall 16 2 speed
-Release SG
-daiwa saltist in similar size?

What do you guys recommend for a newbie to conventional and trolling?  Thanks in advance!

It's not a reel complicated topic (pun alert) but the reel repair guys tend to look at Trolling in simplest terms: You really want whatever you choose to sit on mechanical dogs, not on an Anti-Reverse Bearing.

Trolling puts a lot of stress on the anti-reverse whatever it is and a mechanical dog will handle that abuse better than anything. As well,  we have dedicated casting set ups and such on hand so we want something to winch in the lure caught fish asap to bring his friends to the boat so we can play with lighter set ups.

Unfortunately that eliminates your metal framed reels as they have AR Bearings in them that will get beat up trolling. They can do it, but are not ideal. They would be your choices if you were going to cast a live bait on them from time to time. But not for dedicated trolling.

2-speeds are very nice as well as bringing in a lipped plug and such is a pain with single speeds.

So, on a budget, a graphite 2-speed is a reasonable way to go. In a more perfect world you would track down a deal on a used Penn 16 VSX as the perfect light tackle *dedicated troller* that would last a lifetime.

The true budget solutions are simple Penn Senators in 4/0 or 6/0 that can be had used for $50-100. Tune them up a touch here and there, maybe put a bigger handle on them and they will troll for decades. Spend the money saved on a new casting set up or two. I think most guys here having seen all the fancy dancers come and go would happily go this route at least until they have all the other tackle they need.

Dominick

Settin-hooks John is giving you very good information.  I totally agree that the old Senators will serve your purpose.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

IMHO, a vintage Penn 114H 6/0 (USA-made!) can't be beat. Just as an example, check this out:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/281418445683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Of course the price will likely go way up, but you get the idea.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tightlines667

I agree wholly with John's words of wisdom, and I've always been a fan of the 6/0s.  If your considering a 2 speed lever drag in a budget, may want to think about the Shimano TLD30IIA.  Lightweight(35.8oz), fast retrieval speed, and plenty of line capacity (600yds/30lb mono).  This model has a good sized pinion bearing, SS gear set, nice linear drag curve, and comes with a Carbontex drag (smaller TLD models should be upgraded.  Downside is the single Antireverse dog, and if you fish the reel outside recommended specs, the frames can fail.  Moving into single piece metal framed reels, the international 16, shimano 30 WLRS, okuma Makiara, and FinNor Marquesa are worth considering...though these reels come in at a higher price point.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Well Said John. No need for a "fancy dancer". Stick with the meat and potatoes. Senator. ;)
Life is Good!

handi2

For trolling I would go with the TLD 30 2 speed filled with 40lb. mono.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Like most stated on a buget go with a graphite frame they will handle 30lb test fine. Also in the future if you want to bump them up to 40 or 50 lb test they should handle that as well. Do you need 600 yards of line? If not the TLD 20II or the Squall should be fine. Also for trolling a lever drag is the way to go IMO so you can better adjust your drag from strike to a better drag pressure afterhook up while fighting a fish.

Settin_hooks

Thanks everyone, you've really helped narrow it down!  I think I will get a couple penn senators and a tld 2 speed and that should be a good starting point without breaking the bank.  I will also be beefing them up a little so I would feel much more comfortable breaking down a senator for my first disassembly.

Nuvole

Both my small conquest spool out line by its own(slowly) when near generator with vibration.
As John have recommended, stay away anything using solely AR bearing.