Two rods of four, honoring a fallen fisherman

Started by Jon Vadney, August 23, 2014, 12:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

This is going to be a long post, but please bear with me.  When I was in 5th or 6th grade, I was attending the same middle school that my mom taught at (it wasn't as bad as it sounds, she's pretty damn cool).  Having already been bitten hardcore by the fishing bug, it was well known that I lived to chase fish.  My mom one day saw another student wearing a fishing shirt and said "Hey, you like fishing?  You should meet my son".  That other student, named Tony Puccinelli (about as Italian as you can get), has been a friend of mine ever since.  Tony's family is EXTREMELY close.  Most of them live next door to each other on the same street here in San Jose, CA (which is not very common in these parts).  Tony's grandfather (we all called him "Nonno" so that's what I'll be calling him from here on out), who lived next door to his parents, was the ultimate "man".  I remember going over there, and he was standing on the top rung of a ladder picking fruit.  He was close to 80years old at this point and I said "uhhh....Tony....is it safe for him to be up there doing that?"  Tony's response was "Do you want to be the one to tell him to get down?"  I shook my head "no" and we went inside hahaha.
Earlier this year, Nonno passed away. He was a hardcore outdoorsman, passing on the love of fishing and hunting to his children and grandchildren.  Tony asked me if I could build 4 rods, one for him, his dad, his brother and his cousin, honoring Nonno.  I felt privileged that he asked me to do this and jumped at the chance.  We decided to go with a blank that could pretty much do everything we do up here in Nor Cal, a Seeker 196-7.  We spared no expense and went with Fuji MNSG guides, Alps reel seats, and wrapped the rod in Italian colors.  I also had a decal made that shows Nonno's birthday and death date, and on the other side of the rod, a decal that has the rod information and the owners name. All of the rods are going to be identical except for a few differences here and there so when they are fishing together they can identify whose is whose (different color tigerwraps, and one is going to be marbled between the stripper and next guide up).
RIP Nonno, you were a helluva man, a WWII veteran, and a fantastic grandfather and father.  I can say that you were a great father because even though we weren't related, I see the quality of your family you helped bring into this world.
***If by chance anyone knows the family, please keep the rods a secret, Tony got these as a surprise for them and I still have 2 more to build***

Here's the obituary:

Some photos of the service.  Yes all the pallbearers are wearing slickers.  And yes that is Tony's boat that lead the procession to the cemetery.

The rods:

Tony and I got out this past Sunday to chase some salmon.  Here's Tony with the first fish of the day, and the first fish on that rod.

wallacewt

a very nice tribute
funny how fishing unites people

floating doc

Thanks for sharing this. My condolences to you and the family.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Good Job Jon! Nonno Lives on through those rods. Hats off to you Brother! ;)
Life is Good!

Jon Vadney

Thank you guys for the kind words :)   It was really tough building these.  We gave one of the rods (the red one) to Tony's dad earlier tonight.  He broke down when he saw the picture of Nonno on the rod.  :'(    It got pretty damned dusty in that room.

Newell Nut

broadway

Really nice/hard thing to do for someone who was important to you.
Well done and my deepest condolences,
Dom

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jon Vadney

Dominick

This is a very moving thread.  I could not think of a better tribute to a man who lived for his family and fishing.  I thank you John.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Beautiful work and cause Jon, Nonno will be remembered every time they touch that rod.
Those colors look beautiful.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dave Bentley

Only believe that which you know to be true.

johnachak

That was an excellent post. I think the family will love having him with them when they are on the water. Those are probably going to go with them no matter what they are fishing for, just so he can be with them. Excellent job. Excellent post.