Stella 6k swb sticky when reeling

Started by Mathis6, August 26, 2014, 04:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathis6

I just got this reel and was doing some drags test for a fishing trip. After I was done I realized when I reeled the reel slowly it would become sticky, not bad but definitely there. Any way I can fix it without sending it In?

mbg60

Why not send it in? Still under warranty and Shimano turn around time is super fast for Stella's.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Mathis6 on August 26, 2014, 04:29:11 AM
I just got this reel and was doing some drags test for a fishing trip. After I was done I realized when I reeled the reel slowly it would become sticky, not bad but definitely there. Any way I can fix it without sending it In?

yea, not certain at all that you have an actual problem...The Stella is aggressively sealed and so will have a "start up" inertia to overcome when reeling. In addition, if you reel very slowly the seals maybe can feel a touch grabby.

Few people have much experience working on them as Shimano offers their "platinum service" that covers very expensive repairs and parts for just $30 with a guaranteed 48hr turn around and free return shipping. Other than an official Shimano service center no one else can touch them for the same or less.

Just send it in if you think anything is wrong.

Kyle K

A friend's fairly new Stella was running a little rough.  The guy at the tackle shop said Shimano reels generally come with minimal grease from the factory to give the impression of a very free-spinning reel.  Is it the same way when the reels are serviced by Shimano North America?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Kyle K on August 30, 2014, 01:05:40 AM
A friend's fairly new Stella was running a little rough.  The guy at the tackle shop said Shimano reels generally come with minimal grease from the factory to give the impression of a very free-spinning reel.  Is it the same way when the reels are serviced by Shimano North America?

yea, I've had discussions with Shimano representatives about this and their position was that the pre-fishing service we all here believe in was not their ideal. They contend that greased bearings and gears lead to a "sluggish" feel.

Expect that anything that comes back from the Irvine repair center will be as smooth as new, but Shimano greases/oils are all to maximize a "free spinning reel" and not for maximum long term protection like a marine bearing grease.

The good news is that their "Platinum Service" for service that typically includes parts is very cheap and fast.

Mathis6

The weird thing is when I tilt the reel vertical to where the spool is facing the ceiling that's when it's sticky and can be felt but when I tilt it again normal like it is when it's on a rod the stickiness goes away?
Anyways if it gets worse ill just send it in.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Mathis6 on September 01, 2014, 05:56:08 PM
The weird thing is when I tilt the reel vertical to where the spool is facing the ceiling that's when it's sticky and can be felt but when I tilt it again normal like it is when it's on a rod the stickiness goes away?

All of the seals in the drivetrain will experience more force that way simply due to gravity.

Mathis6

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 01, 2014, 06:41:31 PM
Quote from: Mathis6 on September 01, 2014, 05:56:08 PM

All of the seals in the drivetrain will experience more force that way simply due to gravity.
Ok, thanks for all the help