Diawa SealineX 30sha brake question...

Started by GonePostal, January 03, 2021, 12:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonePostal

Hello all. I just purchased a new Diawa Sealine X30sha. In the box is a small ziploc with 2 clear and 2 red... thingys haha. I believe they are brake blocks or some type of casting control aid...

So, how do I install them? Do I just use the clear ones, or the red ones, or all four???

Please help! Im hoping to take this to PINS tomorrow :)

I will try to attach a pic.

GonePostal

SoCalAngler

Unless you're using fairly light lures I find the breaking that those provide not very good. I remove mine and run them without the brakes for optimum free spool and use my thumb for the braking of the spool. The real should already come with some installed on the left side of the spool. And I believe the red ones just offer a bit more breaking. You can remove the left side plate and look on the left side of the spool and there should be two pins where those go.

Dockside

you can easily thumb the spool shoulder and don't need these IMO.  Like a Penn 500, you can control the spool without touching the line.

GonePostal

Noted. Thanks for the help guys. Ill try it as is and go from there.

I was just curious as this is my first Sealine...

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Do those little things slide off the pins and get lost in the carpet every time the spool or side plate is removed?
-steve

SoCalAngler

Quote from: oc1 on January 04, 2021, 07:13:07 AM
Do those little things slide off the pins and get lost in the carpet every time the spool or side plate is removed?
-steve

I have a Diawa 20 BG and a 20 SLSH. Both came with those brakes and they seem to grip the pins pretty well. The slosh was a lightly  used reel when I bought it and the breaks where still on the pins when I did a pre-fishing service to the reel. Diawa and other manufactures have used this type of thing for decades and I'm sure if there was a problem they would of addressed it a long time ago.

thorhammer

I never put them in my SLSH's and throw it just fine on 12' drum rod.