Ambassadeur 6600 FL

Started by Zimbass, September 03, 2014, 03:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Hi,

Got one of these in for a service, and do not want to open her up till I have the schematic, as there is a flipping button I know will throw something at me !! Never seen one before, so expect they are unusual.

Anyone have any idea where I can find the schematic. Have looked on Abu and the usual sites, and Googled, without success.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

foakes

Hi Terry --

That is a rare reel.

I may have a schematic in one of my shop manuals -- won't know until late tonight, since I am in the middle of a house remodel job about an hour from my shop and home.  Not sure, though -- have hundreds of old schematics from ABU -- but do not recall this one.  I seem to remember working on one of these years ago, and the FL was an issue to be careful with.  Neither the FL, nor the GR, were produced for long -- a tricky experiment that outsmarted the engineers.

If memory serves (may be completely off base) -- this is a similar reel to the 6600GR -- with the exception of a thumb bar that acts as a free-spool lever.  That is why the designation "FL".

And you are right, that mechanism may be tricky to get back together -- and replacement springs may be made from unobtanium -- and the some of the parts you will be disassembling will be older plastics.

So...my technique, even with a schematic -- would be to carefully and patiently disassemble the FL and side plate mechanics -- all the while taking pictures every step of the way.

And no need to warn you about being super careful -- you seem to already know that...

If someone else is able to help you, that will be good!  

Otherwise, I will respond back by late tonight or early tomorrow -- after looking for the schematic in the shop manuals.

Good luck!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

Thanks Fred,

Appreciate the input. Have opened the left side plate, and already know there is an issue as all the magnets in there are rusted, and the bearing too.

Will wait to hear from you, or others before I brave my way into the right side !

Good luck with the house remodelling. Must be getting lot's of brownie points with the better half  ;D

Best to you too.

Terry.

foakes

Hi Terry --

No joy on finding the 6600FL schematic, sorry.

I will keep trying, but don't wait for it from me -- someone else may be better able to help.

Have many ABU schematics -- just not this one.  Thinking maybe because it was a short production run?

But someone, somewhere does have one. 

You shouldn't have any issues continuing on carefully -- but with that much rust on the left side inner plate, there may be other complications as you move forward.

Some of the European sites may have the schematic -- I'll continue to look.

Yeah, I will get a few brownie points when the house is done -- but they will need to be used real soon -- otherwise they will just evaporate.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jonnou

Took me 6 years and all the brownie points were lost in one night   ;D
Better to go fishing :D :D

Zimbass

Quote from: jonnou on September 04, 2014, 08:18:39 AM
Took me 6 years and all the brownie points were lost in one night   ;D
Better to go fishing :D :D

Thanks so much for the effort Fred. I have managed to get her open and am comfortable with the re-build. Slight variation on the normal ABU theme. Drive shaft rusted to both the key drag washers. Never seen that before. One under the main gear, and one above.

Will advise the owner to keep it as a collectable, as it will give up the ghost when least expected.

Hope you get to take advantage of those brownie points real soon.

Best,

Terry