san diego fishing- June or July

Started by 400yfinn, September 04, 2014, 11:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400yfinn

My son is graduating 1st of June next year and I'm looking to take him on a big trip. I'm thinking drive from houston to S.D. take 7 or 8 day long range trip then drive to Mexico for 6 day Tony reyes trip then home. Looking at dates from boats that are already posted we could go middle of June or middle of July. The Tony Reyes trip is mostly yellowtail so which month is better for tuna out of S.D. We catch yellowfin here in GOM. but we have never caught Bluefin or albacore.

johndtuttle

I say June is a crapshoot most years, with the fishing more well under way by July.

June is for those that can't wait after a long winter on the west coast with little fishing other than very long range (ie 10+ days).

July is more certain, in my experience but of course, anything is possible.

7+ days is a great choice though, plenty of time to find where the fish are on the Baja coast.

alantani

we have a june  5 day scheduled right after father's day.  you'll see it at the top of the front page, titled "spirit of adventure 2015.  i am still waiting for final dates before i start accepting deposits.  it should be fun!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

I did two of the Tony Reyes trips back in the 90s. The fishing was very good, but the accommodations (no air-conditioning) were primitive, and the relentless heat was simply beyond belief. I've never before or since been that hot in my life... and I live in Palm Springs where the summer temps can top 120ยบ.   :P

As for San Diego, the later the better... especially if you're targeting tuna.   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

SoCalAngler

400yfinn,

Typically on most years the later you can leave on a long range boat out of San Diego the better fishing you will have. The north winds can be a problem pushing against the south swell making for a bumpy ride early in the season. With that said the early winds have been more mild of late due to the El Nino effect we have had for the last couple of years. If I was you I'd look to book a 6-7 day trip as late as you can.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your early trip looking to fish more inshore Alan? If so the chances to go offshore will be more limited. Of course the boat will look for the best fishing but if here is a hot bite on yellowtail or other fish the offshore time will be more limited. Not that is a bad thing but if your looking to do a Tony Reyes trip later you may want to look at a different type of fishing that you will find on a inshore trip out of San Diego. They will most likely target the same type of fish, around inshore grounds one in the Sea Of Cortez and the other on the Pacific side but still the same type of fishing.

I have fished both types of trips and still do but if you want to change things up go long out of SD and fish islands in the Tony trips.

I wont bore you with tons of fishing pics but here is a pic of me on my first Tony Reyes trip. Check out the the mullet, a ponytail and the shorty shorts......well that was a long time ago.

400yfinn

Well I have finalized a trip for me and my son. Taking advice from everyone's post I tried to go as late in summer as I could and still have time for him to get ready for collage. We are going on red rooster 3 for a 5 day at the end of July and tony Reyes 1st part of August. My wife is even going on the red rooster with us then she will fly home and we will drive down to mx. I now have to get both of them ready tackle wise. The son is easy but the wife never thinks my rod and reels are good enough. She does not see the beauty in a Tiburon framed 501 or an old Newell. SoCalangler has anyone told you that you look like Knight Rider? Thanks for all the input.

bluefish69

Take her to an Expensive Tackle Store & let her pick her own set up.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 04, 2014, 05:00:31 AM
Take her to an Expensive Tackle Store & let her pick her own set up.

Mike
They're all expensive.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Let her buy an Everol & custom rod.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SoCalAngler

400y,

When time gets closer if your looking for any info on what to bring or what to expect on your trips post on the boards or shoot me a PM.

The shirt in the pic says 1978 but the radio station gave me a "flashback" shirt when the station started in So Cal and the year was 1985, I think, on my first 6 day in the Cortez.

Edit: The fishing operations will seem like night vs. day when compairing the two.

Aiala

Quote from: 400yfinn on November 04, 2014, 04:44:18 AM
We are going on Red Rooster 3 for a 5 day at the end of July and Tony Reyes 1st part of August.

Although it was many years ago, I have fished with both of them. I think you'll find the contrast... interesting. (Very wise taking your Missus on RRIII rather than TR.)  :)

~A~

P.S. Don't drive down to San Felipe at night... unless you caravan with others.
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

otghoyt

RED ROOSTER III, Anytime!  There's your 250 pound tuna!  Like to adopt another kid?