Penn Fathom LD 2-Speed: Service Tutorial and First Look.

Started by johndtuttle, September 06, 2014, 12:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2014, 03:46:14 AM
crud.....  photobucket is messing with you!!!!!

Really? I see all the images fine? Are they visible to you guys?

MarkT

The photos are there but there are some photobucket ads every so often.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

It's a shakedown!  ;D

I'll get it fixed once I figure out how lol.

Taily

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 07, 2014, 02:14:50 AM
Quote from: Taily on September 06, 2014, 12:11:17 PM
Definately looking forward to the rest of this review! I've been thinking long and hard about "getting modern" with a 25 or 30LD 2spd sized replacement for my ageing (very gracefully mind you  ;) ;D ) 113H's as my day to day reels and have been wondering about these - as to how well they might fit that role.

The 30LD specs state 330yds/30lb mono - yeah I know, I still fish mono  :o but maybe if I was to start trying to "learn" these old tired fingers how to tie really good braid knots then the weight of the larger reels might be avoided too.

I really appreciate you taking the time there John to get a write-up up here for us all to see!

Dave.

You don't need to know a lot of complicated knots for braid, just know which ones work.  I mainly use a palomar for terminal tackle, and an Albright for braid to mono.  Both are very simple, and hold well with braid.

Hi there, more to do with early onset of arthritis in a couple of my fingers (I suffered a couple of fairly serious hand injuries early on and now in my late 40's I'm paying for it) so I'm happy to keep bottom bashing with mono for the time being, though I do use braid for other things. Appreciate your words though.

Dave.
Nunc est bibendum....

jonnou

Sorry about the artritis Dave but once the connection is made you are still fishing mono with your topshot you just need some help with the braid to mono connection. Hard to lose your independance but will happen to us all one day
Best Jon

alantani

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 09, 2014, 04:30:00 AM
It's a shakedown!  ;D

you should have access to the server here to store your photos.  there is functionally no limit. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2014, 07:21:25 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on September 09, 2014, 04:30:00 AM
It's a shakedown!  ;D

you should have access to the server here to store your photos.  there is functionally no limit. 

I forked over the cash for a quick fix.

The trouble has been photobucket has been easy to upload all of the shots to, then picking and choosing and editing them etc.

Some sites (ie Stripersonline) automatically upload your photos when you post. Convenient for this issue, but Alanhawk won't post there any longer because it gives ownership of the images to the site owner (at least on his site). I can see how Alan would have a problem with that and his truly professional grade images.

Keith K

Fantastic tutorial on what appears to be a very nice reel.  Thanks, John

Keith

NickM

Questions:

Does the fathom ld2's have the same arb as the star drag where you would have to replace the side plate? I don't see the arb seperate in the schematic?

Maybe I shoulda asked before bought the 25nld2 lol

Tiddlerbasher

John I maybe missunderstanding here, so please bear with me.
There is only one thrust bearing - between the bellevilles and the left spool bearing - correct?
While that will alleviate axial thrust on the spool bearing surely the axial load is then transferred to the rh sideplate bearing ???
Usually when an axial load (as found in ld reels) is present thrust bearings would typically be used in pairs.

Have Penn got around this by using a larger rh sideplate bearing?

I know from building a brake unit for my line spooler that radial bearings (particularly cheap ones) fail very quickly under axial stress.
That's why I used thrust bearings on that project.
Trying to think out loud here ;)

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 16, 2014, 11:53:47 AM
John I maybe missunderstanding here, so please bear with me.
There is only one thrust bearing - between the bellevilles and the left spool bearing - correct?
While that will alleviate axial thrust on the spool bearing surely the axial load is then transferred to the rh sideplate bearing ???
Usually when an axial load (as found in ld reels) is present thrust bearings would typically be used in pairs.

Have Penn got around this by using a larger rh sideplate bearing?

I know from building a brake unit for my line spooler that radial bearings (particularly cheap ones) fail very quickly under axial stress.
That's why I used thrust bearings on that project.
Trying to think out loud here ;)

There are 2 types of lever drag mechanisms ones that "pull" from the left and those that "push" from the right. Respectively, they greatly increases the axial load on the bearing on the side initiating the force. With Penn's design (pull) the force is far greater on the left and the thrust bearing completely alleviates it. The proof of the pudding is felt "handle load" as you increase drag preset. There is none on the Penn design until the preset is so high the reel is un-fishable as the lever cannot be moved :). The right side bearings are oversize too as compared to competitors.

As you move from left to right the axial load is shared by many components etc so in the "pull" designs the loads are far more modest on the right and vice versa.

Essentially, handle load = axial load on a bearing. No handle load, no problem.

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks for that John. I think I've just found another project to play with ;)

johndtuttle

Quote from: NickM on November 16, 2014, 03:25:47 AM
Questions:

Does the fathom ld2's have the same arb as the star drag where you would have to replace the side plate? I don't see the arb seperate in the schematic?

Maybe I shoulda asked before bought the 25nld2 lol

I apologize that I somehow missed this question earlier. There is no ARB in a Fathom LD2 it only uses the synced Abu style dogs.

FWIW the Fathom one should be able to be replaced without replacing the whole side plate if you put together a socket press system.

lonehawkstation

Thank you SO much for this.  I know it's a lot of work to do a tutorial.

Question on the bearings.  Is the left side Ball Bearing (55L) the only one that should have the shields pulled, cleared, and lubed with oil?  For the other bearings you packed with grease, if I don't have Alan's grease packer yet, what would you recommend?  Pull the shield on 1 side and pack with my thumb?  If so, which way should I reinstall the bearings when done?

Much appreciated.