Penn Fathom LD 2-Speed: Service Tutorial and First Look.

Started by johndtuttle, September 06, 2014, 12:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

StuPidaso

I recently got a 40lds and I'm experiencing side load with only 12 lbs or so of drag. Still has good free spool just a lot of resistance when reeling. Is this a bearing issue? I want to try and fix it myself as most of the repair shops are backed up.

johndtuttle

Quote from: StuPidaso on July 27, 2017, 10:42:25 PM
I recently got a 40lds and I'm experiencing side load with only 12 lbs or so of drag. Still has good free spool just a lot of resistance when reeling. Is this a bearing issue? I want to try and fix it myself as most of the repair shops are backed up.

I posted the same in your other thread:

"Its probably not side load, but as Steelfish posted, it probably is just you not being used to the high speed for the (relatively) heavy spool and the drag assembly that is mounted on it. It makes it feel weird (a little heavy) to someone used to the very light spools of a star drag reel."

All a star drag has is the spool and the bearings to turn over. An LD reel has the large drag assembly mounted on the spool as well as the extra pinion.

StuPidaso

Thanks for the reply. Should it be difficult just to yo yo a heavy jig? It felt like a 3 lb fish. That was at relatively light drag.

Rivverrat

Things like this are hard to diagnose by someones description alone with out having the reel. However based on your last description you might have an issue.

Does the reel make any noise when cranked in free spool & when engaged ?  Again this is hard to diagnose from a far. Also if your not familiar with how a proper one should sound or act. I suggest taking to a tackle shop familiar with these reels & get some thoughts. Please keep us informed. Also others here may see your post & have some things for you to look at....Jeff 

johndtuttle

Quote from: StuPidaso on July 28, 2017, 12:41:21 AM
Thanks for the reply. Should it be difficult just to yo yo a heavy jig? It felt like a 3 lb fish. That was at relatively light drag.

Check the left side Thrust Bearing Assembly to be sure it is free of corrosion and well-lubed. Or, send it in to Penn. They will know what to do in an instant in all likelihood. May be a warranty issue.

sbsyncro

Quote from: StuPidaso on July 27, 2017, 10:42:25 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with the 40 NLD2.  I just finished tearing it down, inspecting and re-greasing everything and it still has the problem. Very hard to wind when set to around 15# of strike drag.

Straitfishing

Torn between buying a Fathom 15 2spd or a Shimano Torium 16hga.

I want to fish it out of the box. Application will be slow pitch jigging at 100-300ft, 30lb braid, target species; grouper, snapper, bass etc. The rod is one of them super lightweight jigging rods.

Torium looks more streamline but is slightly bigger. The fathom has a better free spool which might be better to bounce my jigs at the bottom. Anyone with both able to advise?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Straitfishing on October 16, 2017, 06:27:43 AM
Torn between buying a Fathom 15 2spd or a Shimano Torium 16hga.

I want to fish it out of the box. Application will be slow pitch jigging at 100-300ft, 30lb braid, target species; grouper, snapper, bass etc. The rod is one of them super lightweight jigging rods.

Torium looks more streamline but is slightly bigger. The fathom has a better free spool which might be better to bounce my jigs at the bottom. Anyone with both able to advise?

At those depths the reel you want is a Fathom 25N LD2. The extra spool height will move move line per turn (perfect for slow pitch) but you will have the extra gear for winching power.

I wouldn't fish a high speed star drag much deeper than 100-150 feet these days. 300' is just not worth it when you have 2-speeds available.

I haven't fished a Torium, but fished an Ocea Jigger 2000N for years.

Natarach

Hello. This is my first post and I need help

I have Fathom15 lever drag (single speed) and I feel it has "noticeable feeling of hard to turn handle " when I set more preset and push the lever to Strike or Full position 

But when I set low preset the handle can turn easier as same as star drag reels (I only set the preset knob while lever  at the Free position)

This reel  is my first lever drag reel  I am not sure this situation always occur with all the lever drag reels? And it is rarely user of Penn fathom lever drag in my country so I sak here ( sorry if it is seems silly)

Thank you
Natarach

alantani

pretty classic.  it's likely the right main side plate bearing, or pinion bearing.  it is always the first thing to fail.  and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Natarach

Quote from: alantani on April 17, 2018, 04:31:51 AM
pretty classic.  it's likely the right main side plate bearing, or pinion bearing.  it is always the first thing to fail.  and welcome!!!!!

Hello and thank you for the answer.

By the way my reel is new. I just bought it yesterday  and  still didnt use it for fishing but just test drag adjustment...

Natarach

One more question

If I feel the drag at "strike" position is too lose and at "Full" position  is too tight .

This cant be help right ? Because I think it is determine by the shape of "two washer" (I dont know what to call it) between the preset knob and the Lever

Or there is an solution?

Thank you so much
Natarach

Penn

Quote from: Natarach on April 17, 2018, 03:26:04 AM

I have Fathom15 lever drag (single speed) and I feel it has "noticeable feeling of hard to turn handle " when I set more preset and push the lever to Strike or Full position  

But when I set low preset the handle can turn easier as same as star drag reels (I only set the preset knob while lever  at the Free position)

This reel  is my first lever drag reel  I am not sure this situation always occur with all the lever drag reels? And it is rarely user of Penn fathom lever drag in my country so I sak here ( sorry if it is seems silly)

Thank you
Natarach

Natarach,

Lever drag reels and their drag system are nothing similar to star drag reels.  With a star drag you can crank the drag down as much as you want and in most cases not notice any difference in handle resistance. With a lever drag, especially a small one like the 15 you will notice as the drag gets tighter the handle resistance gets harder, this is perfectly normal.  I would suggest using a drag scale and checking what your drag is set at, it shouldn't be set any more than 13lbs at strike.  Our Fathom LD's use a thrust bearing which helps reduce the amount of handle resistance (especially compared to the competition) but it will not go away completely.  

tony

Natarach

Quote from: Penn on April 17, 2018, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: Natarach on April 17, 2018, 03:26:04 AM

But when I set low preset the handle can turn easier as same as star drag reels (I only set the preset knob while lever  at the Free position)

This reel  is my first lever drag reel  I am not sure this situation always occur with all the lever drag reels? And it is rarely user of Penn fathom lever drag in my country so I sak here ( sorry if it is seems silly)

Thank you
Natarach

Natarach,

Lever drag reels and their drag system are nothing similar to star drag reels.  With a star drag you can crank the drag down as much as you want and in most cases not notice any difference in handle resistance. With a lever drag, especially a small one like the 15 you will notice as the drag gets tighter the handle resistance gets harder, this is perfectly normal.  I would suggest using a drag scale and checking what your drag is set at, it shouldn't be set any more than 13lbs at strike.  Our Fathom LD's use a thrust bearing which helps reduce the amount of handle resistance (especially compared to the competition) but it will not go away completely.  

tony

Hello Tony

Thank you very much for the explanation . I feel better now :D

Anyway are you really  Penn's staff?  I am new member here so sorry for asking somehing weired.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain