Where to find Pro Gear 280 Drag Washers?

Started by eldoradoman, September 09, 2014, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Sorry to bring this back up from the dead, but I am looking to upgrade my newly acquired 280 to a 5-stack. Please let me know where I can secure some washers/drags to upgrade my 280.

Thank you!

David

sciaenops

MW99-

Did you ever find more info on upgrading to a 5-stack for your AS280? My default is to keep mine a 3-stack by retrofitting with HT-100s for a 9/0 or 10/0 Senator, #6-116 which are advertised as 1.36mm thick.

Keith

mrwilson99

Hi Keith,

No luck, currently sitting stock. Do you have pictures of how the drag stack compares to original?

Quote from: sciaenops on July 05, 2020, 10:33:01 PM
MW99-

Did you ever find more info on upgrading to a 5-stack for your AS280? My default is to keep mine a 3-stack by retrofitting with HT-100s for a 9/0 or 10/0 Senator, #6-116 which are advertised as 1.36mm thick.

Keith
David

sciaenops

David-

Attached is the drag stack in exploded & assembled shots. The dia for the under gear washer is pretty close to a Penn #6-309 and the dia for the 3 in gear washers I believe are nearly identical to a Saltist 20/30h. But As you know CF from smoothdrag are only 1mm thick max whereas the originals are closer to 1.5mm. One compromise is Penn #6-116 which are not as close in dia (But maybe close enough) but are advertised as 1.36mm thick. So I'll probably go that route and adjust/shim any slop with an xtra Belleville or 2.

Keith

sciaenops

I may have mixed up the original Saltist washer with a Sealine 50H. Either way the dimensions have been recorded in prev posts (33 mm od x 9.5 mm id)

Bryan Young

If you guys don't mind double stacking carbontex drag washers, I could punch our 0.76 mm thick washers in the size needed. I would have to order a sheet of the material though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

Hi Bryan,

I am interested! Let me know if you do and obviously will cover material used and time.

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 06, 2020, 05:48:45 AM
If you guys don't mind double stacking carbontex drag washers, I could punch our 0.76 mm thick washers in the size needed. I would have to order a sheet of the material though.
David

sciaenops

Works for me Bryan & David. Just txt me about how much for a set. Keith

sabaman1

Bryan, I would also be interested in buying a set or 2.

Thanks
             Jim
JIM

sciaenops

went to local tackle shop & picked up a set of Carbontex (5+1) for Saltiga 30T/40/50.  These are obviously thinner than the originals so I doubled up on the CF washers sitting on the bottom of the gear.  Also replaced the under gear stock Delrin with a similar sized HT-100 (#6-309).  First trial was promising but upon buttoning down got a "clunk" and star bottomed out. Figured the stack was too short and/or the domed metal washer (Belleville?) wasn't supported so added the old Delrin in between it and the uppermost CF.  Seems to be good to go, but will see how it handles a real pull, hopefully in a week or 2.   

mrwilson99

David

sabaman1

Does anyone know if you should grease the old style original drag washers in the 280 Albacore specials? Looks like asbestos.
JIM

mrwilson99

I call them cancer drags and chuck them.

Quote from: sabaman1 on July 10, 2020, 06:07:50 AM
Does anyone know if you grease the old style original drag washers in the 280 Albacore specials? Looks like asbestos.
David

mhc

Pretty sure the 'asbestos' drag washers are better dry - they lose friction with oil or grease. Carbon washers with grease is a better option but if you want to run with the originals, leave them dry.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

sciaenops

got to try out my new used PGs a few days ago on a trip out of SD w/my buddy Dave (that's him w/jackpot fish).  PG545 w/30# Izor topshot easily handled 15# yt and the AS280 with 25# Izor t/s & the jerry-rigged C-tex washer upgrade got me a couple of 30# bft.  Thanks again Bryan and all for the good stuff on this board.