"Whirrr" sound

Started by Jayce, September 11, 2014, 02:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayce

Hi guys,

Just finished upgrading/cleaning one of my shimano spinning reel for bass.

I noticed the whirrling sound after the cleaning was a little louder than before.
Is this normal or I need to check something that might need tightening or loosening ?

Where is it coming from ?

Bearings are ok and the gears shows no severe wear on them.
Reel is smooth and no grinding feel.
I can hear it when turning the handle fast like burning a buzzbait on top.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jayce on September 11, 2014, 02:38:10 AM
Hi guys,

I noticed the whirrling sound after the cleaning was a little louder than before.
Is this normal or I need to check something that might need tightening or loosening ?

What I think of as the "whirr" is simply just the meshing of the gears and rotation of the clutch. If the reel was cleaned what was your choice of relube? After stripping the Shimano grease from the gears and replacing with oil can increase the volume. A heavier marine grease will lower the sound. No grease in the Shimano clutch though.

handi2

Check what John has mentioned and also check the bearings, especially the top pinion bearing. It speeds up according to your cranking speed. I always oil them then add a light grease like Cal's or Penn grease. That will help the noise and not slow down the reel. Too much grease in the bearings will slow down the reel.

Also the pinion bearing is usually the first one to go because it spins much faster than the bearings on the main gear.

After you clean the bearing if it makes any noise at all it will be even louder when the reel is assembled.

Were the bearings open bearings?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jayce

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 11, 2014, 04:37:02 PM
Quote from: Jayce on September 11, 2014, 02:38:10 AM
Hi guys,

What I think of as the "whirr" is simply just the meshing of the gears and rotation of the clutch. If the reel was cleaned what was your choice of relube? After stripping the Shimano grease from the gears and replacing with oil can increase the volume. A heavier marine grease will lower the sound. No grease in the Shimano clutch though.

Yup the sound is mainly on the rotor area.
Used the shimano spray lube and oil pack.

Used the yamaha at first but i dont like the sluggish feel so I cleaned and relube.
The noise was much less when I used the yamaha lube but could not stand the sluggish feel.

Jayce

Quote from: handi2 on September 12, 2014, 12:20:27 AM
Check what John has mentioned and also check the bearings, especially the top pinion bearing. It speeds up according to your cranking speed. I always oil them then add a light grease like Cal's or Penn grease. That will help the noise and not slow down the reel. Too much grease in the bearings will slow down the reel.

Also the pinion bearing is usually the first one to go because it spins much faster than the bearings on the main gear.

After you clean the bearing if it makes any noise at all it will be even louder when the reel is assembled.

All bearings are ok did a deep clean and checked one by one. All smooth and no grindy feeling.
Yup the pinion and drive shaft bearings are open (ARB I think).

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jayce on September 12, 2014, 04:42:27 AM

All bearings are ok did a deep clean and checked one by one. All smooth and no grindy feeling.

Did you put any lube on them?

handi2

Just because they call them ARB bearings they rust just as bad as any other. I would try the oil/light grease in the pinion bearing just to get a comparison.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jayce

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 12, 2014, 02:16:53 PM
Quote from: Jayce on September 12, 2014, 04:42:27 AM

Did you put any lube on them?

yup

johndtuttle

what kind of lube and where? :)

Anyways, the idea is a little grease in the noisy areas, oil for speed.

Did you replace all shims you may have found? That can change tolerances/alignment a bit and cause a little noise and rougher feel.

Jayce

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 13, 2014, 03:33:48 PM

Did you replace all shims you may have found? That can change tolerances/alignment a bit and cause a little noise and rougher feel.

Shimano lube in gears and some one the main pinion bearing oil in the drive shaft bearings.
All shims are in place

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jayce on September 14, 2014, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on September 13, 2014, 03:33:48 PM

Shimano lube in gears and some one the main pinion bearing oil in the drive shaft bearings.
All shims are in place

Sorry to be asking for so many clarifications, just trying to help :).

Is it Shimano Grease on the Main and Pinion? Grease on the idle gear and worm?

Anyways, sometimes as well a good cleaning removes some dust and grease that is "muffling" sound. If the reel is smooth and shims were replaced where they were before and you have lubed your reel to protect it, it is unlikely that any damaging process is at work.

Sometimes I feel I experience the same, but feel it is just one of those things where my hearing has become attuned to the reel and I myself am amplifying the normal machinery noises.

handi2

Also to prevent corrosion and this may help with the noise is that I always put a little grease on the outside of the bearing before putting the cap on one side and before installing the handle. Sometimes it takes a bearing replacement to make them quiet again.
Gulf Breeze, FL