Spinner Question

Started by Keta, August 31, 2010, 02:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I don't really like spinning reels and I hate working on them but I think I need a spinner for throwing plastic at albacore.  Any suggestions on a saltwater restant easy to maintain and repair spinner that a person on Social Security can afford?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

kapnd

You could ask a medical professional to write you a prescription for the most expensive reel on the shelf, thats what they are trained to do, isnt it?  
If medicare will buy you a scooter, and a pump, why not a reel?
(LOL)

wallacewt

save your money and buy a penn.we all been there done that.cheers

Irish Jigger

Quote from: wallacewt on August 31, 2010, 10:00:35 AM
save your money and buy a penn.we all been there done that.cheers

Good advice there.

Bryan Young

Although I love Shimano spinners, Penns are one of the easiest to service, and parts availability is unmatched by any other reel company in the world.  I'm not sure about the new Torque Spinners as I haven't seen one open yet.  But if they use the same philosophy, that would be a winner.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

It's not hard to convince me to go Penn and I think I can get them at a discount.  Any suggestions as to what Penn spinner, I'm thinking a Conquer 4000 or possibly a 5000.  

FYI, I fish albacore with TN12's and Calcuta TE401s.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

franky

Quote from: Keta on August 31, 2010, 02:42:23 AM
Any suggestions on a saltwater resistant easy to maintain and repair spinner?

Being a fishing reel service expert, I once asked Alan..."Gee Alan, which fishing reel is the BEST reel?"

His response...."The best fishing reel is a reel that you can service yourself."  ;D I'll never forget that.

Quote from: Keta on August 31, 2010, 05:07:19 PM
It's not hard to convince me to go Penn and I think I can get them at a discount.  Any suggestions as to what Penn spinner, I'm thinking a Conquer 4000 or possibly a 5000. 

FYI, I fish albacore with TN12's and Calcuta TE401s.

I'm not sure how big the albacore is, but I would use either a penn 7500SS or the 8500ss with powerpro.  The SS series is a little heavy, but built like a tank.  Parts are easy to find and servicing them are easy.  Getting them at a discount is always a plus.  ;)

akfish

I don't like the new Penn SSm series reels but I do like the Slammer series. These are good reels at a good price. Look at the 760 or 560 to see what size you want. The Penn Conquer seems nice but costs more and is brand new -- and I'm already seeing some with problems in the shop. Look at a Slammer.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: franky on August 31, 2010, 07:15:31 PM

I'm not sure how big the albacore is,
Usually 20lb-35lb.  I'm planning on using the reel for iron and want a high retrieve.  I also want a lighter weight reel.

Quote from: akfish on August 31, 2010, 07:45:04 PM
The Penn Conquer seems nice but costs more and is brand new -- and I'm already seeing some with problems in the shop. Look at a Slammer.
What kind of problems and are they from lack of maintenance?  I'll look into the Slammer....I realy can't see spending close to $200 for a spinning reel.

Mark Twain

Phinaddict

Daiwa Black Gold reels are under $125. and have a good track record.

And like Akfish says, you cant miss with the Penns...and he is the guy who would know!

Okuma Cedros spinners are about the same price and are designed for bluewater jigging. It's aluminum frame, etc.

I have  an old Okuma Salina 65 and it has landed salmon, albacore, ling cod, dorado, skipjack, bonito and a couple of unidentified near shore specices while casting from shore in Mexico....and it is still going. I bought it used for about $20.

I know that Okumas conventional reels had a rather poor reputation. Now that they partnered with Tiburon, that has changed. Their spinner reels seem to have  a pretty good reputation....
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

BigT

G'day Keta,

70% of my fishing is with spinners... and therefore about 70% of my maintenance. While they can be more fiddly without a doubt than conventionals or baitcasters, they're not really that bad.

There's also not a whole lot of difference in complexity between older style spinners like Penn Spinfishers and more modern reels. The increasing complexity tends to come in spinners at the more 'high performance' end (like Saltigas, Stellas, Team Daiwa reels etc). The biggest issues I have on a regular basis with spinner maintenance is related to either bearings that fail (they're everywhere and often pretty exposed like in line rollers... the higher-end reels have more so there are more to give trouble); and the particularly fine tolerances that can easily be upset (particularly in smaller spinners).

For the fishing you're describing, have a look at an Abu Soron STX or SX in the size you want. The spools and line-lay on Spinfishers and Slammers are very old-school and not ideal for braid... some of their newer designs are better options (but the model range in Australia isn't the same as in the USA so can't really suggest one... maybe an Affinity if you have them).  Daiwa and Shimano make good reels - get a metal body reel though... the fine tolerances in spinners don't take kindly to the flex in composite bodies that will eventually see the gears wear through hard fishing. Stay away from any of the Team Daiwa or upper Daiwa range if you don't like maintenance... great reels but high-strung like an advanced sports car.

My reason for the Abu recommendation is personal experience with all of the above reels. The Abus are built like tanks; have performance and engineering standards way above their price point compared to their main competition; have a great carbon drag system out of the box; are exceptional for lure (soft and hard) fishing with braid lines; and in Australia at least, Pure Fishing's after sales service is second to none.

This is the sort of fishing they're capable of... reel is a little Abu Soron STX20 loaded with #10 braid... fishing light like this is pretty common practice in my neck of the woods (East Coast Australia). The banana is a long story that I won't bore you with.

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Bryan Young

Hi Keta,

Based on BigT's recommendations, could an Abu 806 work?  There is a reconditioned reel at http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4800 for less than $60 and comes with carbon drags.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

It would probably work but I think I "need" a higher retrieve.

Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: BigT on September 01, 2010, 04:12:38 AM
The banana is a long story that I won't bore you with.

G'day, T -
You are showing further proof that having a banana on a boat doesn't stop you from catching fish! Although I've never baited my hook with one.   :o

Cheers,
Rob

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

stoned crab

People have caught a good number of albacore on livies and fishtraps in northern CA with the shitmano stradic 4000's on trevala's.  Good luck.