Trinidad Drag Upgrade

Started by Bucktail, September 04, 2010, 04:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Trinidad 40N for jigging tuna.  I am definitely going to upgrade the drag to Carbontex.  My question is, is it necessary to get the Cal's metal drag plate as well?  What benefit is there to swap out the stock drag plate with the Cal's?

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

skip the drag plate for now.  upgrade the drag washers and then see how you like the reel.  i think it will be fine.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

OK thanks.  Of course, if I do finally get this reel, I will upgrade to the clicking anti-reverse as well (as I did with my Torium).

One other question:  Do you know where I might be able to purchase this handle for it and how much they sell for?  It's from the Ocea Jigger.
Just a jig-a-lo

Phinaddict

You could try sending an email to this guy.

http://www.ichibantackle.com/index.asp?pagename=contact/contact.html

He specializes in Japanese fishing products. I have never done business with him but at least he would know where to steer you.  You could also call Shimano, but I doubt you will have much luck as the handle is marketed to Japan  not USA, as I'm sure you already know.

On the other hand, and making life much simpler , why not order one of Alan's Delrin handles?
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Bucktail

Thanks.  I'm not familiar with those handles.  I searched "delrin" on this site and couldn't find them. ???
Just a jig-a-lo

Reels Man

Bucktail,

You can find them searching on here for "Kolekar handles" or just "handle upgrade".
Russell's Reel Service - Service, Repair & Parts for all brands of fishin' reels.

Bryan Young

Aloha Bucktail,

You should be able to order the handle through your local Shimano retailer, contact Shimano directly.  There are other options such Pete's Kolekar handles http://alantani.com/index.php?board=13.0.

I never really put much thought to the handles until I got to try them myself.  And now, I'm sold.  Angled handles are so egronomically comfortable and the larger grip makes it easier to grasp and crank down.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D