Pensacola

Started by Shark Hunter, September 22, 2014, 03:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 23, 2014, 10:47:06 PM

Also, you need to make sure the fins remain intact/attached to the carcass until you get her home..I think?
That is mainly for sharks being 'Landed', i.e. brought in by boat.
QuoteSharks are to be landed in whole condition, this includes landing sharks with heads and tails intact

Although the State of Florida considers this species 'endangered' it has not been listed under the ESA.  It is considered a SSC (Species of Special Concern) by NMFS.  Recently NMFS has opened up a response to a petition to list this species under the ESA...

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/04/26/2013-09943/endangered-and-threatened-wildlife-90-day-finding-on-petitions-to-list-the-great-hammerhead-shark-as

This will trigger a new comprehensive stock assesment if the species.  The previous regional stock assesment was undertaken by NMFS (based largely on commercial catch data), in 2012..with the previous comprehensive assesment having taken place in 2002 (I believe?).  It is not likely that this species will get listed, but the new stock assesment may very well trigger the modification/addition of federal species-specific CMMs (Conservation and Management Measured), which would lead to increased regulations for both commercial and recreational take of the species. 

It will be interesting to see what the latest stock assessment looks like. 
Indeed it will be.

Beautiful animal...could have been 35-40 years old? 
QuoteThe average great hammerhead measures up to 3.5 m (11.5 ft) long and weighs over 230 kg (500 lb).
The typical lifespan of this species is 20–30 years;[2] the record Boca Grande female was estimated to be 40–50 years old.[6]
So this 11' 5" mature male was more likely around 10 years or more.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Finally back Home. Even though I didn't catch a single shark, it was an enjoyable trip. Had plenty of runs, but no hookups. Here is our first night. Chris on the left, my boy Mike in the middle, Chris's friend on the right. His name escapes me? They are looking at a spider weight I got from Bob and saying, What the Hell is this? :D

John in all his Glory! Telling us stories of Yukon Jack. :P

Nathaniel and John trying to get us some fresh Cownose Rays.

My Uncle Sonny and Me doing some surf casting.

The Travel lodge in Pensacola is a real Dump! I suffered through it to be 5 minutes from our fishing spots. ;D

Mike coming in.

Until next time. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, no shark, but I'm sure you still had a good time. Hey, I was working my butt off while you were on vacation ::)  ;D.
The ones you missed are only getting bigger ;)...glad you're back safe.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

hey  daron,     time away with friends and family sounds like you caught a whopper,  i'm sure you all had a fantastic time being on vacation ,enjoying the sun, sea and sand, thank god for mother nature, great.

Keta

Looks like Chris and his friend are showing the early signs of Dunlop's disease.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Chris Gatorfan

No that not Dunlap disease, it is the re :Dsult of our love muscle workouts.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

broadway

Good things come to those who wait, Daron!
Next time you should have mike kayak out hooked up to your rod.
He looks to be in good shape and should put up a good fight ;D
...then again, I've seen your behemoth 12/0's ;)
Glad you had a nice trip,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on September 27, 2014, 02:31:01 PM
No that not Dunlap disease, it is the re :Dsult of our love muscle workouts.
:D
Those Krispy Kremes wouldn't have a thing to do with that. You Notice there are no pictures of my Dunlop! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Boy am I glad I do not suffer from that disease...  ;) :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Dang Daron,
you & Mike have anted up time & time again, y'all are past due winning a few pots.
Love the pics & follow up report.

I know it may seem lame to some, but my Hammer is y'alls Hammer too.
Landing that fish took teamwork, one person can not beach a fish like that alone.

Thank you again, for the invite to fish with ya, the camaraderie & putting that beast on the beach.
Whenever you wanna do it again, give us a holler.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

Daron, I'm glad it was a good trip. Thanks for posting.
Central Florida

jonnou

Quote from: ChileRelleno on September 28, 2014, 03:03:48 AM
Dang Daron,
you & Mike have anted up time & time again, y'all are past due winning a few pots.

Landing that fish took teamwork, one person can not beach a fish like that alone.

Thank you again, for the invite to fish with ya, the camaraderie & putting that beast on the beach.

Well said Chille
Glad you had a good time Daron
At least you were out there doing it
By the way its not Dunlops disease
those are Gimble flanges ;D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: ChileRelleno on September 28, 2014, 03:03:48 AM
Dang Daron,

Yes, I will be showing those pictures off at work. Tuesday night, I had a good run on a Ray. He spit it. When we checked the bait, it had some huge teeth marks probably 1/2 inch apart half way down all the way across. That was a big one that got away! :'(
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Shall I start saving bait for the next trip?
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

My next trip is 9 months away. :'(
Here is a shot when Mike first got the leader.

Life is Good!