TUTORIAL: Pro Gear Wahoo Specials, Model PG461

Started by Bryan Young, September 10, 2010, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I finally am getting ready for the Albacore season, and have a couple of Pro Gear Wahoo Specials, Model PG461.  It's essentially an improved and narrow 4/0 reel.  Thinking that it will be very close to a Penn 113H, I proceeded without even pulling the schematics until I begun.

Here are the schematics:
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/pro-gear/203152d1275191856-pro-gear-reel-schematics-pdf-format-pro-gear-pg461.pdf

I removed the handle lock screw (31)

Then remove the handle screw (30) which is actually a nut, with an 11 mm socket.

Pulled the handle screw retainer (30A) and handle (29).  Talking about tight tolerances.  Boy was it snug.

Remove the tension washer (40) and the star (28).

Note the drag spring washers in ( ) configuration [not indicated in the schematics].

Remove the endcap (3) from frame (1).

Removed the bridge plate (14).

And look what I find?  Double dogs.  Wow, cool.  Now I pull the schematics.

I took the dog ratchet (15D) and placed it back on bridge shaft (14A) to check it out.

And investigate the dog assembly (15, 15A, 15B, 15C, 16)

Okay, here we go.  Let the maintenance begin.
Lube the dog assembly with CorrosionX HD and spread grease and CorrosionX HD on bridge plate.  Apply blue grease to dog rachet and place on bridge shaft.

Let's look at the drag washers.  One of the reels was provided with carbon drag washers and the other was provided with stuff with metal flakes.  So I got some drag washers with a slightly larger OD and grinded them down a bit.  The pic shows the washers all lined up for comparision.

The other reel was provided with 4 greased drags with the same ID and OD as the metal speckled drag washers.

Well, if you notice, the replacement drag washers' inner diameter is much larger than was provided with the reel.  This should not be a problem, so I proceeded to grease the drags with Cal's Universal Grease.

and put the drag assembly back to gether in the main gear.

Well, I ran into a problem with the ID of the last carbon drag washer because the last metal washer is keyed and not eared.  So the last carbon drag was swapped with one from the other reel because it has a smaller ID.  Sorry, no pic.  I forgot to take a pic.  Relieved that I found a solutions.

Greased the bridge shaft

Slide on drag spacer and grease

Remove drag sleeve bearing by removing the bearing retainer.  Remove bearing shields, clean with carb cleaner and forced air, and pack with grease mixed with CorrosionX.

Clean and regrease pinion gear yolk assembly and clean the inside of the pinion gear with a q-tip and added a drop of CorrosionX.

Pull bearings in right bearing cap (6), left bearing cap (5), and shaft bearing (not in schematics)

Attempted to pull shields with little success.

Went to Alan Tani's house for advice and 2 bearing need to be cut to remove the shields

All bearings were cleaned with brake cleaner and forced air, then went swimming in TSI301.

Install right bearing and reinstall bridge plate and screw down (4 screws)

Now the frame.  Remove left bearing cap (5), grease threads and reinstall

Frame

Disassemble clicker assembly, clean and grease and reassemble.

Grease the spool

Install left bearing, spool in frame and reassenble

Reinstall drag spring washers configured ( ) and reverse how it was taken apart, greasing each part as it is reassembled.

Result, free spool from went from 20 seconds to 40 plus seconds without line.  Now, my concerns when I do get line on is the professional overruns.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BigT

Nice work, Bryan and a nice looking reel. Bet you can't wait to hear it screaming with a big fish on the other end ;D

Cheers, T

more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

wallacewt

Bryan Young

Thanks.  I forgot to take pict regarding greasing screws, the reel seat,...  I'll try to remember for my next posting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bub B.

That is a pretty sharp looking reel.  Where do you get them?  I looked on their site and it is kinda sketchy.

Bryan Young

In short, Pro Gear is no longer in business, but the designer and owner is still around and only sell reels and parts on eBay.  http://shop.ebay.com/socalfishingtackle/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I found mine at a fishing store in SoCal (new old stock).

There are still a few around, but you will mostly find these reels used on Craigslist or eBay.  (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/1936175090.html or http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/Outdoor-Sports-/159043/i.html?_nkw=pro+gear+reel&_catref=1&_fln=1&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282)

Many of the reel parts will interchange with Penn reels, depending on model.

I think CharkBait had a 251 (which is essentially a spectra capable jig master) in the store.

lois

CapeFish

Looks like a brilliant reel, how well do they cast and what is the line capacity on this model? Pity they don't get made anymore

alantani

these things are tanks.  more than that, they are hypnotizing.  you should see bryan when he starts talking about these reels.  he gets that glazed look in his eyes, that wide-eyed stare, starts drooling a little and gets a little bit of a tremor.  that's what these reels do to you.  they really are gorgeous.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

Darn pity they never made it to our side of the Atlantic, seems to be the bomb proof reel that you can stand in the waves with all day and put the brakes on a big shark and be able to belt out a loooong cast with a 14ft rod, like a Shimano 20/40 (or a modified Torium) but with better line capacity and stronger?

Bryan Young

I'll look up the specs.  I have them saved electronically, somewhere, and will post.

You may find some of these reels in Florida.  That is where I saw some of these reels. 

Bryan Young

461 line capacity is 300yds 50# mono, 5:1 gear ratio.

The spacing between the spool and frame, you don't need to worry about spectra getting caught.

broadway

Great Job on the tutorial! I was, however, a bit surprised to see you mixing greases. I was under the impression from Alan's tutorials/postings that it's not wise to mix lubricants.  Can someone clue me in on mixing lubes (Keep it clean boys;)  That reel is sweet...and obviously maintained beautifully!  Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Triple guard is a thick and sticky grease.  I mix CorrosionX and to help loosed the thickness up a little.  According to my email conversations JD Hill, Distributer of CorrosionX, he indicated that I will be pleased with the results of fortifying my grease with CorrosionX.  He did indicate that the mixture should be tested combination and evalauted to determine which grease to use and what ratio to blend to achieve optimum results.  So far, it's on several of my past reels for 3 years now with no noticiable negative effects.

CapeFish

Quote from: BryanYoung on September 14, 2010, 06:31:24 AM
461 line capacity is 300yds 50# mono, 5:1 gear ratio.

The spacing between the spool and frame, you don't need to worry about spectra getting caught.

Thanks Bryan, I might just start trawling the net for a good second hand 461, it's just a pity that most 2nd hand sellers on ebay don't ship internationally, but I can always make a plan, presume it is a stardrag model? You don't perhaps have the schematic and spec sheet for the 461? Amazing tolerances re spectra not catching between spool and frame. I will be using it with spectra at the bottom and mono on top