Question for PENN historians

Started by Islandgypsy, October 03, 2014, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Picked up two 209's at a garage sale.Both appear identical but one has maroon side plates and one has black side plates. When did PENN change from maroon to black, or vice versa , or were they always available in two different colors?

foakes

Maroon is the oldest -- black is newer.

Then there was green in 1956 -- and a couple of years after.  Also grey, then black, then red, then black finally again.

Hard to pin down exact dates with Penn -- because they basically built what the market would support, and used up all of the left over parts they had on hand before moving on to the next variation.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Islandgypsy

Thanks,Fred. Was just curious, knew someone would have an answer. Did not know they made that many color variations over the years. Have a great day!

akfish

I believe the very earliest 209s were closer to brown than maroon. Also, the cross posts were cut on the ends so that they fit inside the rings a 1/16th inch or so. I've seen exactly one of these...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

Hi Bill --

Yeah, I've only seen one of these -- although in my used parts inventory for Penn, there are some posts with the type of ends you describe.

And I think the worm drive idler gear was made from some sort of hard Bakelite or resin plastic material -- instead of white nylon.

These were the earliest models.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Fred, does the 1956 apply to all Penns?  I have an all green Penn No.9.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Do not know about the "9" -- but that is a likely era.

Mike Cacioppo's new book -- Chronological History of Penn Reels, is an absolute wealth of exhaustive research and information.  Covers up to 1957.

Some of the guys on here may have the book, and can look it up for you (Dom?) -- but I won't get my copy until my birthday next month.

That green 9 is a very collectible little reel -- hang on to it, or sell it to me.  😀😀😀

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

john2244

The note I have with my green "9" is 1955/56.  I have the green 9, 109, and 209 and don't think they ever made a green 309.  I need to buy Mike's book.  I am glad he finally wrote it, I bet it is a great book.
John

Rancanfish

Good to know greenies!

You have first dibs Fred when I go to sell.  It's pretty much unused condition. I know I'm not trying to collect anymore. I paid $100 back about 10 years ago on ebay. (I know, I got carried away). It's how I ended up with so many duplicate reels too.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

broadway

Fred,
   You're correct, I got the book a few days ago after waiting a loooong time.
I've only gone through the book, but haven't sat down and had a good read yet.
I'll keep my eyes open and if I come across it, I'll post back.
Can't wait to get a minute to read this thing... looks like it has tons of info!
Thanks
Dom

Maxed Out

Actually the first 209 (1950) was black, then 1955/56 was green, then there was just a couple years of a dark brown, then maroon, then back to black again.

Micheal mentions the 209 color progression in his book, but he somehow left out the couple years of dark brown (I have one new in box from 1958). lol, he is working on a revised edition that will likely take several years as more info comes his way. Sorry, I have no clue how to post pics or I would post the first generation black 209 pristene in its original box, as well as the brown 209 that followed the green.

If one of you guys that posts pics wants to PM me your e-mail, I'll send along a few pics

Tight Lines
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Lensters

Here is the pic...

Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Maxed Out

Thanks Len.

If you look close, the one on the left is black, the middle one is dark brown and the one on the right is obviously maroon

The black is the first generation 209(far left). Notice the hex nut for worm drive. That was only on the early black 209's(1950-54). After that it was a slotted round head.

Also note the maroon (far right) 209 has a different designed sideplate than the brown and black. That newer design started right about 1960 with the intro of the maroon 209.

When they went back to black in the 80's, the 209 had completely different designs on both sideplates.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Good stuff Ted, thanks for sharing.
Guys and Gals, Max Doubt is the most knowledgeable man I know, when it comes to Penn reels, I've known him for a while. Ted, send me a pic of that 9/0 and I'll post it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

and here is the 9/0:

Here it is Sal......the absolute centerpiece to any penn collector.

Micheal Cacioppo, author of the recently released "chronological history of penn reels", told me that he knows of only 4 original boxes in existstence today, and he said this box was by far the nicest condition....as well as a unfaded perfect original label. It really belongs in a museum. HA ha, look at the price on the box...$25 for a 9/0 senator, sounds affordable, but this was in the thick of the depression and if a guy was gonna spend $25 on a reel back then, he was gonna use the heck out of it. Consequently most the survivors are ridden hard and put away wet, and just locating one is a near impossibility, much less in near unused condition.

The reel is of course all original first year 9/0 that goes in this box. It was used a couple times, but other than a few spots of plating loss on the spool it is in absolute mint condition.

Hard to imaging having a 300# fish on and trying to reel with that little nob that barely fits your thumb tip and one fingertip.... Likely why this style of nob only lasted the first 2 years.

BTW Sal, if you don't have Micheal Cacioppo's penn history book yet, you are missing out on a mind blowing experience.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.