Question for PENN historians

Started by Islandgypsy, October 03, 2014, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Ted, that is a beauty ;). I'm glad that I'm at the very top of your list for when you decide to break them lose ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

no problem Sal, just get ready to take a 2nd mortgage if you ever want to outbid the big hitters on a reel like that.....I'm still eating top ramen after buying that one.. lol

BTW, my apologies to the original poster for hi-jacking this thread..........Sal made me do it !!!

Hey Sal, you should have an e-mail  w/pic of the crank side of the 3 different 209's....perhaps you could post that and put the thread back on subject. I only sent Len the one pic cause My e-mail carrier was messing with me at the time.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Lensters

You can send them to me one at a time if you wish.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Lensters on November 07, 2014, 03:54:07 AM
You can send them to me one at a time if you wish.

Ok, Len, I sent you a shot of handle side and a 2nd shot of clicker sideplate with flash so the colors really stand out.....it's a little blurry, darn camera cant focus after one little glass of vino.....shoulda know better

broadway

Hey Ted,
    Any chance you picked that 9/0 up recently? I bid on a 9/0 in the box just like that over the summer. It went for about $400 more than I was willing to pay. It is one heck of a center piece for a serious penn collection, which you clearly have. He's right, Sal... Second mortgage time  ;)
I wanted that reel so bad, but then I realized I like having a roof over my head just a bit more ;D
She's a beauty,
Dom
PS- Let me know if Sal passes on your toys when you're ready to sell (if ever)

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on November 07, 2014, 03:10:57 PM
Hey Ted,
    Any chance you picked that 9/0 up recently? I bid on a 9/0 in the box just like that over the summer. It went for about $400 more than I was willing to pay. It is one heck of a center piece for a serious penn collection, which you clearly have. He's right, Sal... Second mortgage time  ;)
I wanted that reel so bad, but then I realized I like having a roof over my head just a bit more ;D
She's a beauty,
Dom
PS- Let me know if Sal passes on your toys when you're ready to sell (if ever)

Yep, about 6 months ago.

I had kinda sorta hinted to my wife that I may do something stupid at the end of that auction, and then I lived up to my prediction, so she only shook her head at me instead of scratching out my eyeballs and breaking my index finger (the one I type and bid with). Someday that 9/0 will surely get passed on to another person........but that'll hafta wait till the good lord calls my number, till then I'm just a custodian of a piece of history and as long as I have it, the box and reel will be under sealed glass away from all daylight and moisture.

I have no doubt someone from this forum or the orca reel talk forum will eventually end up with it.....who knows, but somehow it sounds like Dom might just be that guy........sal must be broke from modifying reels and is likely not able afford one that sits in a corner to be admired and not used lol....besides, it doesn't have enough drag poundage for Sal anyways

broadway

Ted,
  I like your style! ...and you've got a heck of a woman, too!
I really thought I was gonna win that reel, but glad it went to a good home.
Also, you're right, it does belong in a museum, but it looks better here on Alan Tani where we can all enjoy it ;)
I'm ready with cash in hand, but until then enjoy her. Sal, you really do need that book... It's eye opening.
Thanks for letting me see her again,
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I could make Ted an offer he couldn't refuse, if I wanted to, but then I would have to trade it for "Big Red" ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lensters

Here they are:

I always thought that "brown" was a dark maroon.  I have a really pretty one that I plan to sell if I ever get around to taking pictures and listing them.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Maxed Out

A lot of people think that dark brown is dark maroon, but once you've seen one that's been used hard and lost it's factory sheen, it is obviously more brown than any other color.

That pic of the clicker sideplate shows the first generation design that changed over around 1960 to the sideplate you see on the far right maroon 209.

Thanks for posting the pics Len.....I just happened to have actual sunshine to use for the picture.....A rare sight this time of year in the Pacific Northwest

Lensters

Looking at the molding style, mine is probably just a dark maroon as it is the second style.  I do have a black of the earlier style molding in the line that is for sale.  However, its chrome isn't as pristine.   

broadway

Sal,
   She (big red) loves her home and needs a man in her life... One from about the 1930's in the box.
I've got a pretty nice collection of 9/0's that are in need of a center piece like Teds. I can wait a while... I plan on collecting for a very long time. The hunt is the best part. The only other reel that stands out that I really wanted to see in my collection was a left handed 1/0 new in the box (German silver/green box). It went for $330 about 3 years ago on eBay. I hope it pops up again some day.... I'll be a buyer for sure.
I am curious to see what you'd have to do to get it out of teds paws... Sell your soul? :D
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

Dom,
Its hard telling what Sal has up his Sleeve! ::)
He is kind of Secretive showing his reels. I was showing off my new ss collection and he shows four NIB 9500's with some sick looking Handles on them I've never seen before.
He has some connections. I think we should start calling him the Godfather! :-*
He has been at it longer than you and me. Hard telling what he has! ;)
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Yeah, I keep expecting to see some guy named Sal on that hoarding show on TV ;D

Walk in the house and one skinny walkway thru thousands of reels..........Maybe someone should e-mail the producer of the show..... lol

Alto Mare

You got us beat Ted ;).
Daron, this morning I was looking for a new 850, I knew I had it but couldn't find it anywhere. I opened a cabinet in the loundry room and found that reel, along with some more  9500 new with boxes ::).Nice to forget what you have and get surprised ;).