Tigerwrap

Started by Jon Vadney, October 04, 2014, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

So Alan and Bryan Young came by my place today and were hanging out.  They were checking out the staggering inventory of blanks I have at my place and just shooting the breeze.  Somehow, tigerwraps came up and I had asked Bryan if he has ever done one.  He stated he hadn't and Alan, busily enjoying his Guinness that he so graciously brought over, shrugged as he had never seen one wrapped.  Luckily, I had a rod that had a half-way done tiger on it, so I decided to show both of them the final steps.  I gave this very eloquent, beautiful, heartfelt description of the process, how Lenticular images work, etc etc (the speech really deserved to begin with "We the People....") and as I was getting ready to wrap I hear Alan say, "STOP!  Bryan, do you have your phone?"
"Yes...." Bryan says.
"Jon, start the explanation over, Bryan record it for the forums!"

So...needless to say my 2nd attempt at the explanation fell exceptionally short of the first and we are left with what you can view below.  Because I didn't explain the whole process that well, I also attached a PDF that outlines, step-by-step, how to do a tigerwrap.  Also, in my video, the top layer doesn't have to be the same 3 threads that you used on the bottom....but....with different manufactures of thread, their sizes will vary even if they are called the same thing.  Size "A" from company X could possibly be larger than size "A" from company Y.  I use the same threads so that I can guarantee that the spacing mirrors the bottom layer.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/Tigerholo.pdf

Here is the video that Bryan took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvK-wvLWVQA&list=UUptwAw7YxBg-d9aPfn6bsgw

And here is a video of the tigerwrap with the first coat of finish applied, as well as a bonus of a 6470XH Super Seeker that just got it's final coat of finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHKhskiNPI&list=UUptwAw7YxBg-d9aPfn6bsgw

Marcq

Wow! That's pretty cool John, thanks for sharing

Marc..

alantani

pretty awesome stuff.  i'm going to see about having jon do a full set of rods for me!  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Jon,
   I don't wrap rods, but you're one talented guy. That was a very cool tutorial!
Thanks for sharing that,
Dom

Newell Nut

Very impressive work Jon. I may have to wait on that one for a while.

Bryan Young

It's simply amazing.  I'm going to have to make up a few poles and bring out all of my wrapping gear.   I don't want to be in the business of custom rods again but wouldn't mind doing it as a hobby again...especially wrapping from my kids.  Something that could last a lifetime.  Luckily, my new drug (rods, guides,...) are only down the street from me.  :)

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jonnybravo

Lets all keep Jon busy!  Moar custom rods!

Jon Vadney

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: Jonnybravo on October 05, 2014, 06:22:27 AM
Lets all keep Jon busy!  Moar custom rods!

LOL Jon! Haha, your 5 rods are coming along.  Alan I think is ordering a dozen.  It's getting hectic but I love it! 

Alto Mare

You do some beautiful work Jon, looks like you've been doing it for a while.
Do you have a list of prices or are they individually priced as you get the orders.
Giving an idea on the average would help.
Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Jon, I just found your nice site that Alan put up, sorry. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jon Vadney

Hey buddy!  The site explains it pretty well but generally speaking, labor will be in the neighborhood of $200 on up. I charge $150 for just straight black on black.  Components cost about half of what a factory rod costs (generally speaking), if you get the same components that the factory rods have.

Alto Mare

Yes it does Jon, thank you. I would love a rod or two from you similar to the one with the Italian colors, but will need to wait a little longer... don't go anywhere ;D.

Jon Vadney

Sound good man!  I don't plan on leavin :)

EccentricRuss

That is pretty awesome.  I need to check out the website for sure.  Does the wrap affect the action of the rod?

Russ

Jon Vadney

Quote from: EccentricRuss on October 06, 2014, 01:35:27 AM
That is pretty awesome.  I need to check out the website for sure.  Does the wrap affect the action of the rod?

Russ

Hey Russ,
The vast majority of what I build are saltwater rods where some thread and finish aren't going to do much, if anything, to affect the action and the weight increase, as a percentage, is negligible.  Now...If I were building a Phenix K2 bass rod, a NFC trout stick, or a fly rod, I would definitely try to keep the thread work and finish to a minimum as those are verrrrrry light blanks.