alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Pflueger Pelican 1020 spinning reel
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 18, 2019, 08:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pflueger Pelican 1020 spinning reel  (Read 8387 times)
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« on: October 10, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »

A little while back we were having a discussion about spinners that retrieve line without the oscillating system and Fred mentioned the Pflueger 1020. From looking at his pics, I mentioned that I was going to purchase one of those for myself, so I could take a closer look. Fred beat me to it, he already had one in the mail by then. Grin
Thanks again Fred, I appreciate it.
Here are a couple of shots of the reel:

removing the spool, I noticed no drag washers anywhere Undecided

there had to be drags somewhere, the reel was working just fine, so I decided to take a closer look

I don't have any parts list, I wonder if the main gear is delrin, Fred could educate us on this reel,we'll see what he thinks

removing the plate at the back of the reel, reveals an interesting design with the drag

the thumb screw is attached to a coiled spring that gets tight or lose as you turn it.

This reel is probably 50 to 60 years old, maybe more, these guys were way ahead of us, I wonder why they gave up the design. Undecided
interesting reel.
Sal
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:56:14 AM by Alto Mare » Logged

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:58:32 PM »

Around 1953, Pfueger was scrambling for a way to get into the spinning reel business.  They had been very successful with their other conventional and fly reels -- but it looked like spinning reels we're going to take a big chunk of the market -- and their sales were flat or decreasing -- while Mitchell, Record, Alcedo, DAM Quick, Shakespeare, and others were increasing their market share.

If the reel was either a little smaller size -- or larger for salt water -- it may have had a better chance.  As it was, instead of trying for a base hit to get on base -- they went for a home run with a very unique design. 

Basically, was a case of bad timing during an era of solid competition -- along with a company already floundering financially.

Quoted by Dr. Todd Larson --

Dr. Todd says:

"The Pflueger Pelican was Enterprise Manufacturing Co.'s belated attempt to enter the spinning reel market. Designed in the early 1950s by Tom Sarah, Pflueger's lead reel engineer (and certified reel genius with 40+ patents), internal strife delayed the Pelican's launch for nearly two years. When it reached the American angler in 1955, the market had changed. Part of the problem was its look; while European firms were manufacturing reliable and aesthetic models, the Pflueger Pelican looked…well, about as graceful as a pelican about to land. That doesn't mean it didn't work--it's a fine utilitarian reel--but when compared to the graceful lines of a Record or Mitchell, it lost out. It's also a large reel for freshwater, but too small for saltwater, that came out at a time when ultralights like the Alcedo were becoming all the rage. It was not the hit that Enterprise needed, and Pflueger's failure to develop a viable spinning reel led to their eventual decline and sale to Shakespeare in 1966. Your Pelican is worth $10-$20 in used condition, and twice that much (or more) in the box. For a picture of the 1953 Pelican patent, and a new in the box model, click here."

Best,

Fred

Get a Good Night's Sleep -- Only (3) things happen after Midnight -- and none of them are good...

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »

As I said above, Fred would know Grin.

Thanks Fred, always very informative Wink.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
cwillis85

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:43:17 AM »

Fred you need to start a weekly education segment. This type of information is not available anywhere else. Keep the knowledge coming. Out of curiosity,  how does that reel work, is it as simple as it looks or does it have a less obvious unique way of operating?

Chris
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »

This reel is similar to an idea that Sal had a few weeks ago --

What makes it unique:

The spool shaft remains in place -- it does not move up and down like most other open face spinning reels.

This allows for a dead simple adjustable drag at the rear of the body housing --

And the last main thing is the action of the rotating head -- the rotor housing goes up and down to facilitate the line lay -- instead of the spool going up and down.

Best,

Fred

Get a Good Night's Sleep -- Only (3) things happen after Midnight -- and none of them are good...

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
Cubby1973

Reel and camera collector!

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:58:31 PM »

These are very neat looking reels. I recently got one of these in a lot that included a shakespeare 2052 and a Dam quick 221. I took it down cleaned and lubed, but it was still not smooth at all, it works as it should just not smooth. Not sure if it's the plastic bearing or what. May look into it again someday, but for now it's just a quirky show piece.

Thanks
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: