charter special tr 1000/2000

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEA

Hey fellas, why are the drag numbers so far off compared to the factory specifications?

Meaning, after upgrading/servicing 15lbs at max versus "advertised" at 33lbs?

Granted, I would expect it to vary, but by 50% less?

Not to mention going from fiber to carbon fiber drag material?

Also, how close are the line capacity numbers?

redsetta

G'day DEA, the factory specs on the Shimano (North America) site are incorrect.
As AK mentioned earlier, the Charter Special (in standard spec) can't take more than about 8 or 10 pounds of drag without doing damage.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

DEA

Thanks a bunch Justin!

Surprising how far off the spec's really are though.

Thubert57

Quote from: alantani on April 01, 2012, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: Pinfishkiller on April 01, 2012, 05:50:33 AM
Is it worth getting the collar and brake parts?  I plan on using the reel for some light trolling in the Gulf for Spanish, Reds, etc... The levelwind feature is great when you take multiple kids fishing.

don't worry about the pins.  i usually just pull them out anyway.  and welcome!!!!!!

Glad I read this.  I was spinning the spool and one of the blue sleeves flew off, hit the garage floor and is now lost ... forever.
Thanks,
Norfolk Anglers Club

Bryan Young

Can you post photos of your spool?  There is no way we can help if we don't know what you are seeing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Spool looks fine. On the left side are 4 small screwws that you remove to open the left side. On the right side there is a cap with a nurled edge that is as big as the spool end that you unscrew. Note that it is a reverse thread (righty-loosey, lefty-tighty). All of this is either explained or shown in the tutorial. You shouldn't skim the tutorial but take it step by step. BTW, the spool should be aluminum not plastic "The middle is just a plastic tube?"
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

redsetta

G'day Ruben,
They're the same.
If by "geared structures" you're referring to the pinion gear, it's still in the right side plate bearing.
dayOne has you on the right track.
Twist the drag cover clockwise, as indicated, ie you should see the word 'Unscrew' and an arrow, as pictured below.

They can be a bit tight, but just try wrapping a cloth around the notched edge and twist.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 22, 2013, 09:39:47 PM
reverse threaded is counterclockwise?

Reverse (left hand thread) is counterclockwise for in clockwise for out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Keta is correct. Clockwise to unscrew. I occasionly have to use a rubber strap wrench on one to break it loose, but they are usually hand tight. There isn't anything that is really breakable, as long as you turn it the correct way. As said, there should be an arrow on the cap.
David

redsetta

G'day Ruben,
Grasp the nurled outer edge of the drag cover, ie 12 and 6 o'clock in the below pic.
The arrow is shown in red:

Hope that helps.
Good luck, Justin

redsetta

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, that's the pinion gear, which will be in the right side plate - still attached to the main bearing.
Good luck, Justin

Ron Jones

This is a brand new reel, if the spool spun when you turned the handle prior to tearing it down the the pinion gear is somewhere. It is either in the bearing, on the spool shaft or on your table. It is in the "most important" category of parts, you need to find it.

Congratulations on taking the plunge and working on your new reel.

Ron

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

day0ne

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 24, 2013, 07:06:12 PM
I do have something like that, the gears, but it wasn't attached to the cap, just slipped onto the axel of the spool.

Ruben

That is the way it is supposed to be. It isn't attached to anything, it slides on the spool axel and seats in the bearing. On used reels they sometimes stick either in the bearing or the cap.
David

fishy76

Hey Alan,

Still trying to get the cost of the drag washer for the 2000 reduced in cost.  Likely barking up the wrong tree, but I found 1/16 inch and 2 mm quasi carbon fiber sheets that could be suitable for drag washers. Think called Dragon Plate and is epoxy laminate with different surface products.  At $24 for a 6X6 sheet, maybe 6 washers could come from lots of work.  Maybe not enough savings if the material is appropriate for the purpose as the washer might be about $5 each?  What's your thought?

Fishy76

alantani

stick with carbontex.  they are cut properly and they are the right thickness.  there is a penn drag washer will work, but you have to bore out the center with a step drill and it's a real hassle.  i use to do that but gave up when dawn came out with a carbontex drag that fit. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!