charter special tr 1000/2000

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alantani

yes, i change out the old handle arm for a stainless steel one.  then you have a  choice of a 2/0 grip of a 4/0 grip. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hadge

I'm having a problem with a Tr 2000
Once I tighten down the Drag control level and the level shaft body the drag control level will not move. The level shaft body locks on to the square end of the main gear shaft.
I check all the parts, but I'm stumped on this.
Any help??
???
Hadge

Bryan Young

Sounds like the drag control know (drag pre-set) is too tight.  You may want to check that right side plate bearing as it may now be damaged due to the pressure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hadge

Thanks Bryan,
I'm missing the concept on these drag levers.  I can do the star drags but this is my first lever drag fix.
I would guess what tightens the drag is pulling the main gear shaft towards the drag lever.
But once the square slot of the lever body connects to the main shaft it all stops!
I will see if loosening the pre set will help.
Thank you
Hadge

???
Hadge

akfish

Remember: Never adjust the preset knob except when you are in free spool. To your specific problem, I suspect one of two things is happening. Either the cam is installed incorrectly or the pinion bearing is fried. The Charter Special is a great reel but really can't take more than about 8 or 10 pounds of drag without doing damage.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hadge

Yep, I did not have the reel in free spool, that's all it was.
Like you say make sure your in free spool when replace drag lever.
Thanks for the help.
;D
Hadge

striper_tamer

Alan,

I noticed on the Charter special tutorial, you are holding the reel with a rod clamp.  Is this an after market rod clamp because I don't see one on the schematic for the charter special?  I have a TR200-G and was wonder if a rod clamp can be added.  I would assume the rod clamp for the TR2000LD would fit the TR200-G. If so, do you sell the rod clamp or knows where I can find one?  Thanks.

whalebreath

The first rod clamp looks like an old Backbone-Charkbait has some but I'm not sure the company is still in business.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csr_Reel-Clamps.htm

striper_tamer

day0ne

The standart Shimano rod clamp that fits the TLD's and many other reels will work on a 2000. A TR1000LD doesn't have holes. so you have to use something  like a Tiburon TCU-M
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Pinfishkiller

I bought a used Charter Special 1000 and am in the process of rebuilding it.  From reading some of the previous post in this thread, the reel I purchased does not have the brake collar or the blue studs.  This indicates that I have an older model Charter Special, correct?  But other than lacking those items, the reel rebuild is pretty close I take it.  I bought some spool bearings and a drag washer from Smoooth Drag and plan on installing them during the rebuild. I am new to this forum but in a very short period of time I have noticed it has a wealth of great help and info.  Thanks

day0ne

Quote from: Pinfishkiller on April 01, 2012, 01:08:20 AM
I bought a used Charter Special 1000 and am in the process of rebuilding it.  From reading some of the previous post in this thread, the reel I purchased does not have the brake collar or the blue studs.  This indicates that I have an older model Charter Special, correct?  But other than lacking those items, the reel rebuild is pretty close I take it.  I bought some spool bearings and a drag washer from Smoooth Drag and plan on installing them during the rebuild. I am new to this forum but in a very short period of time I have noticed it has a wealth of great help and info.  Thanks

According to Shimano, the missing brake collar and brakes is the newer model reels. They quit putting them in for some reason. If you can find the collar (no part number), you can still order the brake pads. The Shimano reel repair guys found me a collar but it took awhile.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Pinfishkiller

Is it worth getting the collar and brake parts?  I plan on using the reel for some light trolling in the Gulf for Spanish, Reds, etc... The levelwind feature is great when you take multiple kids fishing.

alantani

Quote from: Pinfishkiller on April 01, 2012, 05:50:33 AM
Is it worth getting the collar and brake parts?  I plan on using the reel for some light trolling in the Gulf for Spanish, Reds, etc... The levelwind feature is great when you take multiple kids fishing.

don't worry about the pins.  i usually just pull them out anyway.  and welcome!!!!!!

alantani

Quote from: striper_tamer on February 23, 2012, 11:08:00 PM
Alan,

I noticed on the Charter special tutorial, you are holding the reel with a rod clamp.  Is this an after market rod clamp because I don't see one on the schematic for the charter special?  I have a TR200-G and was wonder if a rod clamp can be added.  I would assume the rod clamp for the TR2000LD would fit the TR200-G. If so, do you sell the rod clamp or knows where I can find one?  Thanks.

the wider reels have a clamp.  the narrower reels do not, and they are not really needed.  alan