shimano cu201

Started by Brewer, September 19, 2010, 03:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewer

hello, my 1st. thread.

i have a curado that would not reingage the casting thumbar and retrieve after a cast. i replaced the the clutch pawl. ussually this is where the problem lyes.  well even after the new clutch pawl was replaced. i'm still having the same problem.  is there anything else i'm missing?
"stay thirsty my friends"

alantani

there is a ratchet gear underneath the main gear.  is it upside down?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewer

i'm not sure about upside down. i'll check that out, by the way whats the purpose of the one little pin hole in the cog/rachet?

alantani

it just makes a fancy noise..... :-\

Brewer

well i flipped the cog and nothing changed.... could there be another part that is worn?

Pro Reel

When the handle is turned, the ratchet should grip the clutch pawl and push it back which in turn wil rotate the clutch cam and let the pinion gear engage the spool. Those are all the parts that are basically involved. I would pull the cover back off and see if it works by hand. Check to see if the spring is in the correct spot on the clutch pawl. The clutch pawl should be in the groove of the frame and should be under spring tension. If the reel is currently engaged to cast, you should be able to push the clutch pawl backwards and the clutch cam should rotate and engage the pinion. I would guess that right now the thumb bar is not under any presure and will float up and down? if thats the case, then I would guess that nothing is in a bind and probably the clutch pawl is not being engaged by the ratchet when you crank the handle. As I was typing this , I think I may have guessed the problem though. You have probably checked everything I just refered to and if all that is working, then somehow, the ratchet is not turning when you crank the handle. If thats the case, then the problem is that you don't have the anti reverse clutch sleeve engaged into the top drag plate. I have had that problem before. What happens is that I would put the sleeve notches into the plate notches but while I was putting the rest of the reel together, it would pop out. I solved that by adding grease to the inside of the sleeve to help it stick in place and I don't turn the reel sideways untill I have the drag springs under tension with the square nut. The same thing can happen to a reel that was working but the drag star was backed all the way loose and the sleeve pops out of the plate.

Brewer

proreel, thank you for the time in considering my problem. i have already done eveything that you suggested. i've carefully studied the process and here is what i see. i carefully insure that all the parts are in a normal retrieving order. however the sideplate is not on. i observe that when i push the thumbar down the cluthpawl moves foreward to far. so when the ratchet gear is rotated foreward it makes no contact with the CP is made, cause it's to far foreward. thus no ingagement. i can't seem to prevent this from occuring. i've considered that possabley the frame of the reel is worn. allowing the CP to advance to far ahead. however i can't see where is is the case. if i use my finger to manipulate the CP closer to the cog everything works correctly.  >:( >:( >:(  i'm hoping that what i explained is not confusing... sometimes things can be hard to follow you know.  the who guy owns the reel is kinda wanting it back real soon.

alantani

i'm just repeating what proreel already said, but just so we're all on the same page, here is the page. 

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Low_Profile/94CU201_v1_m56577569830570288.pdf

there are only four parts to this system. first is the ratchet gear (key #1490).  sometimes it's obvious which way it goes, sometimes not.  you tried both and there is no difference and there is no obvious damage to the gear.

second is the pawl.  that was replaced but it has to properly engage the gear.  it does, correct?

third is the return spring.  it's key #1523.  it is properly in place. 

fourth (and last) is the groove in the frame that the pawl ride in.  if there is damage to the groove, then the pawl can get stuck. 

now, this assumes that all of the pieces are properly lubed and move freely, from the thumb bar to the pinion gear yoke.  the biggest culprite here is the hole in the clutch cam (key #1521) that holds the pawl (key #1522).  the pawl need to be able to move freely in that hole or it will not engage the ratchet gear properly.  how about reversing or stretching out the spring to give it more upward force?  i'm running out of ideas.......

Brewer

alan, back to the ratchet. i've noticed that one side of cog is slighly rounded while the other side is straight. refresh my memory here, what side of the cog faces up?

i'll go back out to garage shortly and break the reel down again and see if i'm missing something obvious.

alantani

the side that goes up is the side that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brewer

i believe the problem now lies with the spring. i'll more closely delve deeper this evening. alan you maybe very correct that the spring itself maybe abit tired. i'll try what you suggested and report back with findings.

oh! LOL on the the cog remark.

VERY FUNNY!

Pro Reel

The rounded side of the ratchet cog faces up, but it will work both ways. I am looking at a cu 200 torn apart right now. If your white plastic clutch cam is is good shape and the hole that the clutch pawl fits in is not wobbled out, then the pawl should be where it belongs. If it's not anything I mentioned and the cog isn't hooking the pawl, then it is either the spring or you got the wrong pawl. Take it all back apart down to just the clutch partys and the pawl still hooked up. Slide the cam bacwards to plkace the reel in cranking mode. The pawl should now be at the back of it's slot and the spring tension should be holding down at the front, you can push it up but it should pop right back down. Now depress the thum bar and the pawl should go to the front of it's slot. It should now be up at the top with the spring tension pressing the front edge of the pawl up. The tip of the pawl has a tit on the underside. That tit holds it in the slot and should be just about even with ridge at the top front of the slot. In this position, you should be able to push the pawl down towards the bottom of the slot and it should spring back up. If not, the spring is bad or is installed wrong.

Brewer

great news!!! that pain in my arse curado is done!!!! and yes the flippen spring was the culprit in hiding. keep in mind when i recieved this reel it had salt water damage... steelhead fisherman have no heart or souls.  the spring was near stiff, which explained why it was such a easy perfect switch out with the clutch pawl. well i had to literally pry that spring free from the frame.  it was such a b!tch that i thought i was going to bust that mutha humpin spring inside the reel frame... no joke! well it eventually came free and after some grease and working back and forth the spring began to move freely.  so the problem was a very stuck spring.  wow a stuck spring, this is 1st for me.  this explains why the clutch pawl  would not snap back. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!! the frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  i bet i put down a half bottle of bushmills (or more  ::) )with this friggen curado.

i want to thank alan and his trully awesome board for helping me work this out. thank you proreel for your suggestions.  this board is GOLD!