Shimano Sahara rear drag

Started by NeilF, September 20, 2010, 08:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilF

The above spinning reel is getting a stiff spot as you turn the reel, so I thought I'd do a clean and lubricate. I can't get in! Undoing the 4 side plate screws, just makes it loose - it seems to be trapped under the rotor. Taking the rotor nut off doesn't seem to do anything.

While I've stripped, cleaned and lubricated a couple of multipliers, I've never touched a spinning reel. They are much more complicated than a multiplier and I don't want to end up with enough parts left over to build a gas radio!

Even if I could just get the side plate off to have a look-see, it would be something.

alantani

neil, i'd call shimano on this one.  their phone number is 877-577-0600.  they actually have a pretty good program for servicing these, as long as they are not too old. 

rear drag reels are a nightmare to work on.  i did a couple, years ago, and have avoided them since.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pro Reel

I service rear drag reels, I charge $20 for rear drag spinning reels. If you have removed rotor nut, you just need to pull the rotor straight up. It may be snug and you may need to wiggle it. After you get the rotor to slide forward, you can remove the side plate. If you go any further than that, make sure you take pictures plus notes and have the schematic handy. It's very easy to get confused on where some of the little plastic collars and bushings go. Also, the oscilation drive gears can be tricky to put back. The rear drag comes halfway apart from the rear and then you need to slide a few parts out from the side, those are tough to get back in and you need to make absolutly sure of the order of each part as they can't be switched or it won't fit back together.

NeilF

Thank you very much for the replies, gentlemen, and doing it myself would seem to be fraught with difficulties. I will check with Shimano UK on servicing.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: NeilF on September 22, 2010, 10:19:42 AM
Thank you very much for the replies, gentlemen, and doing it myself would seem to be fraught with difficulties. I will check with Shimano UK on servicing.

Give Felindre Servicing (Shimano after sales centre,Swansea) a ring, 01792 796584 as they should be able to help you.  I had a problem  with a  Shimano Stradic caused by salt water corrosion in the rear drag. Dismantling the thing was a nightmare and reassembling it was even worse. No more rear drags for me after that episode. Fewer parts in front drag spinners and easier to work on,in my opinion anyway.