Daiwa Sealine Saltwater Conventional Reel Specifications

Started by Bryan Young, October 28, 2014, 06:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: tgorman on September 08, 2016, 12:58:15 AM
I may be putting my 400H to the test this week

Funny how I've been just going nuts shopping and researching a good 50-60# 2- speed
and pretty much narrowed it down to the Makaira 10II-SEA  or AVET HX Raptor
And I am leaning towards the Makaira and trying to decide between the 15ii or 10ii

But .. that is a lot of money and will have to wait until a fat commission comes in later this month.

But I want to go fishing.. now!!!

I have a seldom used 400H that  Byran helped me get a 5+ stack of washers and the drag is rock solid.
And I think I tested it 22#s on my spring scale.

So.. I think I go old school on the bluefin next week and go 3.4:1 and a new Power Handle from  Smoothdrag
I bought and had not decided on what reel to put it on. So I think it goes on the 400H for now.
It has a 30" retrieve so the gear should be plenty low enough for bigger tuna.

Pictures of  fresh ahi to come :-)

Todd

I have yet (and not for the lack of trying) to hook up to a fish big enough to put the 5+1's in my 400H's or 600H's to the test.

Bent rods and tight lines! Looking forward to the report.

Rancanfish

And Tom (Cortez) makes the new stainless gear sleeves to make the 600h almost bullet proof.  That is where I would put my money.

(And will).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 08, 2016, 10:11:55 PM
And Tom (Cortez) makes the new stainless gear sleeves to make the 600h almost bullet proof.  That is where I would put my money.

(And will).

May do the same...

Rancanfish

Wai, I want to get my Daiwa's together and go on a fishing trip with you.  We'll show those high dollar guys all they need is a good Daiwa.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 09, 2016, 09:34:01 PM
Wai, I want to get my Daiwa's together and go on a fishing trip with you.  We'll show those high dollar guys all they need is a good Daiwa.

The 2017 SOA sign-ups are coming up soon.

Unfortunately, the option of flying down to PV in November this year and fishing with Alan is NOT an option open to me...not enough brownie points with my "Boss."

Maybe Big Tim will organize another Morro Bay trip...

newport

[/quote]

I have yet (and not for the lack of trying) to hook up to a fish big enough to put the 5+1's in my 400H's or 600H's to the test.

Bent rods and tight lines! Looking forward to the report.

[/quote]

I got a chance to test my 600h on some yft and bigeyes on September 1-2. I set my drag at 20lbs with 60lb mono main line and 80lb flurocarbon leader, and it worked wonderfully. I lost a nice bigeye tuna that made a nice run that dumped more line than made me comfortable. As we were just seeing color in the water, it pulled the hook. My arrms, hands, and back were sore, but reel functioned fine. The drag felt flawless and smooth. I have the 5 stack drag as well, but am not getting the full 35lb max range (I'm getting a max of 25lbs more or less). I have to adjust the thickness on one of the cabonfiber washers in order for the eared metal washer to make full contact in order to get full drag range. Here are a couple pics. I was on the Voyager out of Point Pleasant NJ. We caught over 50 yft and some bigeyes. Unfortunately, I only boated one.

Porthos

Quote from: newport on September 10, 2016, 07:13:26 PM
...Unfortunately, I only boated one.

ONE is greater than ZERO - mission accomplished. And, at the very least, you saw the Big Eye before it spit the hook -- just think of it as "catch-n-release."

newport

Oh I enjoyed the trip. Besides false albacore, this is my first tuna catch, ever, so I was very happy either way.

ez2cdave

Unfortunately, Daiwa never produced my three "Dream Reels" in the Sealine H Series  . . . 650H, 950H, 1200H . . . THOSE would have been INCREDIBLE !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

A few spec sheets . . . Some may already be posted.

Shark Hunter

I'm gearing up a 600H for my grandsons this April.
I figure they could handle this a lot better than a 14/0.
Bryan's Drag kit, SS Sleeve from Tom and a 5/0 grip on the original arm.
Spooled with 50lb mono.
As long as there isn't a cut off. I'm sure this reel is up to the task.
I usually fish 100lb mono minimum, but there isn't enough capacity.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I just went through my 350H. These reels are basically pre-tanked. Just need bigger grip as you did.

Decker

Guys, looking for advice... My experience with fishing for tuna is very limited (almost non-existent), and I have a Sealine 450H.  Is that reel theoretically capable of  handling a 100 lb tuna?  Or should I go bigger before I get on a boat?

I have a 113H Senator YTS, and am wondering if the 450H is a good backup reel for the Penn, or vice-versa ;D  Or maybe I would need to tank the 113H with drag inserts to be tuna-ready  ???

/Joe

P.S. From Alan's information below, I'm now thinking that line capacity of a YTS might be an issue for tuna fishing, especially fishing monofilament line.  Would it be appropriate to use 65lb braid with a top-shot for fishing 100lb tuna?

Decker

Found this on-target summary from the Boss, below.  Stories of fishing experience welcome!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8.0

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:17:56 PM

now, for a few comments......  the sealine 450H is a real diamond in the rough.  let's compare daiwa sealine 450h to the 4/0 penn 113hlw.  the spool size of the daiwa sealine 450h on the right hand side is about the same size as the wide spool 4/0 penn senator 113hlw. 

the drag range is also about the same.  with greased carbon fiber drag washers, the functional drag range for both reels is 10-20#'s with an absolute maximum drag of about 25#'s.  because of the risk of damage to the main gears, i would recommend keeping the drag below 20#'s.  once you change out the drags, the performance of the two reels is identical.  the main advantage of the daiwa sealine 450h is the aluminum frame.  a similar upgrade for the penn is $80 for the frame alone. the daiwa sealine 450h is available for $120, the penn 113hlw is available for $130.  with a $10 drag washer upgrade, you can have an all aluminum "4/0 wide" daiwa that will perform as well as a penn.  honestly, the performance of the two reels will be identical, but because of the all aluminum frame, i will vote for the daiwa sealine 450h to edge out the penn 113hlw as the best in its class. 

thorhammer

Well, there are tuna and then there are tuna....what kind are you after? 20 lb blackfin, 50lb yellowfin and 500lb Bluefin are all different equations (Joe is on East Coast, where weights are sort of reversed with YFT and BFT vs. Left Coast fishing.

Excepting maybe SS sleeve, a 450H is probably close to a tanked Senator if you put in carbontex: already has aluminum frame and plates. I would def upgrade handle or at least grip, and I put Strikemaster clamps on all my offshore reels vs. wimpy stamped stock clamps. That said, looking at Dave's chart above, you should be able to get a solid 300 yds 65 braid on the reel and maybe 150 yds 60 topshot, give or take, and should put you in the reel's sweet spot for drag 20-25lbs.  This will put you in decent shape on most East Coast YFT. This is mathematical, I haven't taken one tuna fishing, but certainly would apply this exact setup and lock down the drag for snatching grouper out of a rock....