SL50SH Cast control

Started by Dave Bentley, September 27, 2010, 10:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Bentley

Hello all,
I have been having a few problems with major over runs on the Daiwa and consequently I have spent a bit of time setting the cast control, changing out the plastic "Widgets" on the cross arm on the spool, using heavier oil in the bearing and reducing the amount of line on the spool.

1. One thing that has just dawned on me is the cast control cap on the RHS of the reel. Apart from partially "jamming" the spool shaft between the copper washers on each side of the reel is there any other way that this works.
2. How do the plastic widgets work. I can see that centrifigal force will push them to the outside of the cross arm until they hit the copper covered ring but then what. They are not going to slow the spool down or are they????

Any advice appreciated.

Dave
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Bryan Young

Moving additional weight to the outside will slow down the spool due to centrifical forces.  Think of a spinning figure skater when they exends their arms out and bring their arms in close to the body, the skater spins faster when all arms are in.  It's been a long time since having that physics class, so this is the easiest way to explain it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phinaddict

You can "Mag" your reel with rare earth magnets. Its a simple process and works wonders. There are various ways to do it, but here is one specifically for  a Daiwa.

http://alamoareaanglers.yuku.com/topic/1185/t/Magging-the-Daiwa-Sealine-X-40-HV.html

This link will give you some of the science behind it and a second concept of how to do it.

http://www.charkbait.com/article/2004/Walt_Galen.htm

It takes a bit of tinkering, ( depending on the strength of magnet you select, quantity and distance from the spool), but its an easy mod and gives great results.
just make sure you maintain freespool and that the magnet(s) don't rub on the spool.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Ellis Feibush

Dave, some reels come with various  numbers of those plastic "Widgets". I could be wrong, but I thought the weight of each pair had something to do with cast control and affects the casting distance. The more weight, the more it's supposed to slow down the spool or something like that. Not sure. Just my two cents worth.

Dave Bentley

Played some more today and got it right.
Both sets of widgets that came with the reel on the cross bar and 1 drop of heavy auto engine oil on the black bearing on the gear box side nearest the spool.

I can now back off the cast control, cast with out busting my pooper valve with a 120 gram weight 130 metres and the spool stops with light thumb pressure.
Thanks all for your input.

Dave
Only believe that which you know to be true.