Waterproof fishinggloves for cold conditions !

Started by Drisse, October 29, 2014, 01:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hello !

I guess that many of the members here don't need gloves for cold conditions :) . But I see if I get any answers.....

I'm looking for warm and waterproof fishinggloves for autumn and winterfishing. The gloves will be used in temperatures
below 0°C .

I've spent a lot of money on gloves, but still haven't found the perfect gloves for cold conditions. I think like
this....You can travel to the moon, how hard could it be to make a pair of warm and 100% waterproof gloves ? :)
I've tested a lot of gloves from different fishingbrands. Tested many gloves by different brands made for
industrial / craftsman work. Tested rubbergloves that are 100% waterproof with innergloves. Works, but
aren't that smooth and quite slippery. Had in mind to buy a pair of the brand SealSkinz that is supposed
to be waterproof. But a friend told me that his SealSkinz gloves couldn't stand a day of winterfishing in
northern Norway. During winterfishing in northern Norway, you handland a lot of fish (C&R). The gloves
get splashed, it snows, its windy and so on..... Other than being warm and waterproof the gloves need
to be of good quality, since both the days at sea and handlanding fish tears on the gloves.

I don't mind to pay for gloves that could fill my request.

Thanks in advance !

Tightlines667

I use neoprene wetsuit type gloves when retrieving duck decoys in cold weather.  Not waterproof, but they keep your hands warm when exposed to cold water.  Something similar to these might work for you?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Hi Drisse --

Do not know if these will work or not --

But I do a fair amount of manual work outside in the winter -- and also use snowmobiles in conditions as low as near 0 -- sometimes when taking into consideration the wind chill factor -- it is likely below 0.

Anytime a glove is considered waterproof, you will lose some dexterity due to the insulation, and they may not hold up as well for wet, cold, winter work.  So you may be looking for some sort of compromise between a heavy duty work glove, insulated, and waterproof.

I cannot attest to having used these gloves -- but Duluth Trading Company is a solid mail order company that only sells really good quality products that hold up very well.  Anytime I need a special jacket, tool bag, HD work vest, socks, shirts -- this company I have used for nearly 13 years.  And everything I have ever bought, is still functioning as new, after a lot of hard use.

Get on their catalog mailing list, and you will find they have very good prices also.

I like the reviews (352 in this case, 4 stars plus) by guys in the trades -- longshoremen, oil rig workers, anyone who makes a living in the outdoors in harsh conditions.

Also, check out the glove model below called Yellowknife -- sounds like it might be a possibility.

Yellowknife, Canada -- is one of the coldest places in North America.  Good video -- good reviews.

Cannot say enough good about this company's products.

Good luck with your search,

Fred

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/winter-work-gloves-mens-duluth-trading-winterproof-work-glove-11094.aspx
[/quote]
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Try hamiltonmarine.com on page 5-6 of clothing - Gloves - Blue/Felt liners

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Drisse

Thanks alot for your answers !

Tightlines666: I've tested alot of neoprenegloves. As you said, not waterproof and I always freeze my hands of in them. Think the thikest I've used is 3 or 3.5mm neoprene.

Fred: Seems like a nice glove, but the most important I'm looking for is warm and 100% waterproof. As long as I don't know or hear from a user that they really are 100% waterproof I won't buy them. As I wrote earlier I have a big bunch with gloves that was supposed to be waterproof. Last pairs I bought was a craftsman winterglove from our industrialdealer at work. Really nice glove and perfect for winterfishing. The text in their catalog stated 100% waterproof. I even mailed the brand behind the glove before I bought it. They claimed their 3-layer waterprotection was more waterproof than Gore-Tex. After half day of fishing in Norway my hands were wet :( .
But I'll browse around and have a look at their gloves.

Mike: Do you mean this model http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/glove-removable-liner-cold-resistant-blue-large-177068/4,35661.html ?
If so, I have tested rubbergloves. Only thing 100% waterproof so far, but they are very slippery when handling fish/fishinggear.

Thanks alot guys. Keep on posting..... :) I think there is a perfect waterproof glove somwhere out there. Just have to find it.

/Andreas

bluefish69

Yes that's the place.        If you can find the Gloves made by Atlas also Blue Rubber they have some texture on the palms I have 1 pair left. This is the brand on the Deadliest Catch. Someone had them in Sheepshead Bay a few years ago. Fell off a truck.

I guess you will be working on a Dragger this Winter -- Where

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Hi Drisse --

Let us know what you discover -- and how well it works.

Question:

Was the wetness in your last gloves coming in from the outside -- or do you think it may have been perspiration due to the waterproof material (lack of breathe-ability) that turned cold and clammy?

Just a thought...

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Drisse

Hi !

Mike: No, I only need gloves for rod&reel fishing in northern Norway. It can be quite harsh conditions and I'm one of those who always freeze my hands of during winterfishing.

Fred:Yes, the wetness came from outside.

I'll keep on searching.......

Tightlines667

There are many different models available..
may want to check out the Grundens Glacier (warm and tough but low dexterity), or other fleece-lined vinal work gloves (like those by Atlas).  There are extra tough, cold weather, scalloper gloves, and many different fitted neoprene models.  I've used the grundens gloves and sleeves, and the atlas models when hand lining or running hydraulics.  They are warm and waterproof, but may not give you the 'feel' you're looking for. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Drisse

Hi Tightlines666 !

Could you post a link with the gloves you mentioned ?
Hydraulics on a fishing boat ? :)

Regards !
/Andreas

gstours

Hello and yes we want to help!  Please be more specific about the work or chores you will be wanting these gloves for!  Will you be pulling levers or reeling and baiting small hooks? how much dexterity and feeling do you need?   many gloves are made for cold weather fishing around water.  The Atlas in pink or blue are lined with a furry pile lining and are very warm, changing gloves often also helps if you can have some drying, keep rotating them and you will not suffer.  these atlas gloves are popular in the lonline fishery, winter crab, and are readily available thru large marine fishing suppliers, like seattle marine and etc>

Lunker Larry

Try Kast Steelhead gloves. Steelhead fishermen fish in pretty foul weather and need the dexterity in a dry glove. Expensive but worth it.

http://kastgear.com/gloves/steelhead-glove.html

They get good reviews. Here's just one.

http://www.deneki.com/2011/12/kast-steelhead-glove-review/
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Drisse

gstours: The gloves should have quite good dexterity, so I can handle my Shimano Talica 8 or 10 without problem, and handland cods. No small baits or hooks. I use to have 4-5 pairs of gloves in the boat, but sometimes its not enough. I'll have a look at the Atlas gloves.

Lunker Larry: The Kast gloves looks nice. The model is a bit like the last pair I bought. But is the waterprotection better on the Kast glove it would be a great glove. Will check it out.

Thanks alot !
/Andreas

willybendit

I have my own small boat and after spending ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££  on all sorts of Gloves over the years ive not found a pair  that keep my hands warm in winter as i get older i seem to suffer more to the point where i stopped going fishing  until the warmer months   then i came up with a idea that just might help  my son works in a off road Motor cycle shop and in winter They Fit Heated  Handlebar   Grips to there  racing bikes   i spotted these  and bought a pair  since a few of the riders had come off they bike and bent the Handlebars i asked if i could  take a pair home and see if i could make something up   Dead easy   just cut a Length of about  9inches long and Glued the heated Grips on  ran the Wires on the the Battery and  stuck the thermostat onto the Gunnel near the seat  now i go out fishing and if my hands get cold (Freezing) i just put some Gloves on turn on the Heated grips  and wait until my hands are warmed up  im sure you could fit them to your snowmobiles 

ossipeter

I got four pair off these cloves for me, my wife and two friends.http://kastgear.com/gloves/steelhead-glove.html
The first work was to test the waterproof. 100% in my lifebait with ice on top. Then every day walking with balu in cold an whet weather. One of the friends ride with his bike two weeks ago to a Meeting. He told he never had such a thin clove so waterproof and warm by this wintertours.