Penn 110 1/0 (The Mini Tank)

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, October 30, 2014, 02:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Hey guys

I have been messing around with the old senators lately and decided to bring some life back into the old Penn 1/0. It started out as something small and now I think I have built me a mini tank!

Here is what I did. Started out with a Stock 1/0 I got off Ebay.

First thing I set out to do was double dog this little guy. The reel comes with a 15-60 dog and I spoke to Keta and all he had where 112h ss dogs. So I got to 112h and dremeled them down to fit. I set them up as alternating.

The reel came with a brass bridge and I think the steel ones just look so much nicer. So I swapped the bridges and placed SS sleeve. Also, I took one of the spacing sleeves Black Pearl offers and added that to. The spacer helped with flexing and any tilt might get from having the dogs alternating.

Then I threw in one of Bryan's 5+1 stacks in. Very nice and smooth! Also, I put a new and cleaner 5-60 main gear in.

Then when I was going through Scott's Bait and Tackle site I notices they had a different ss pinion gear (#13-140) that had replaced the old ones in some of the reels that carried the 5-60 gears. I ordered it up and swapped it out. However I had to dremel the inside of the pinion slight where it fits into the bushing on the side plate. Working GREAT and smooth now. Note that the new pinion gear does not fit on the brass spool so I swapped it for an aluminum 501 spool.

Slammed it all back together with a nice Tiburon 501 Spool and Frame. Then a nice handle. Here it is!

All said and done pushing 15lbs of drag, however I wouldn't push over 10lb as of right now but plan to really push this guy to its limits. With that all said The Jigmaster 501 has bigger gears and drag however just something about this little Mini Tank carrying the Senator name.

Alto Mare

Beautiful job fisHsTiiCkS, I love it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 30, 2014, 02:58:29 AM
Beautiful job fisHsTiiCkS, I love it!

Thanks! Its now my favorite reel! But it was all possible because of the work you did and all the members on this great site!

George4741

Certainly the most upgraded 1/0 extant. Very nice!
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: George4741 on October 30, 2014, 03:21:34 AM
Certainly the most upgraded 1/0 extant. Very nice!

Yeah i got pretty carried away with the upgrades but its a sweet reel!

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 30, 2014, 03:40:24 AM
Good Job Fishsticks. Looks Great! ;)

Thanks guys!!

bluefish69

I did a 1/0 & kept it original except for the SS Bars & 501 Aluminum Spool. It's on a Plinth in front of me.

Your reel is really sharp looking.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 30, 2014, 04:07:11 AM
I did a 1/0 & kept it original except for the SS Bars & 501 Aluminum Spool. It's on a Plinth in front of me.

Your reel is really sharp looking.

Mike

They are great little reels arent they! Sporting that senator name! Can't wait to get out on the water with this bad boy.

Ron Jones

Way more torque than a 501. And with your upgrades will do the same drag as a built 501. Perfect live bait reel, lots of 40-50# braid and nice slow retrieve. Medium retrieve I guess because a Surfmaster would be slower.

My kind of reel for sure.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Marcq

That's nice  8) What's the gear ratio on it"

Marc..

Bryan Young

Nice.  Looks just like my narrowed long beach 259 minus the double dog and aluminum frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Beautiful little reel. Almost toooooo nice to fish! Good work.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: noyb72 on October 30, 2014, 06:24:51 AM
Way more torque than a 501. And with your upgrades will do the same drag as a built 501. Perfect live bait reel, lots of 40-50# braid and nice slow retrieve. Medium retrieve I guess because a Surfmaster would be slower.

My kind of reel for sure.
Ron

Live baiting is exactly what I plan using it for!

Quote from: Marcq on October 30, 2014, 06:25:30 AM
That's nice  8) What's the gear ratio on it"

Marc..

With the new pinion gear the gear ratio is 3.3:1 I think.

foakes

Just a perfect reel --

Both for the parts that obviously show -- and more importantly, what doesn't show under the hood.

Colors are pretty -- but my vote always goes to a silver frame -- it matches the metal on the reel already -- and after 100 fishing trips -- will still look like new.

Great thought went into this tough little tank.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Did you put SS screws in the reel????

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.