Penn 110 1/0 (The Mini Tank)

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, October 30, 2014, 02:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely job - Almost too nice to fish ;)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: foakes on October 30, 2014, 02:31:38 PM
Just a perfect reel --

Both for the parts that obviously show -- and more importantly, what doesn't show under the hood.

Colors are pretty -- but my vote always goes to a silver frame -- it matches the metal on the reel already -- and after 100 fishing trips -- will still look like new.

Great thought went into this tough little tank.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred I appreciate the kind words!

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 30, 2014, 03:15:25 PM
Did you put SS screws in the reel????

Mike

No its the stock screws but ss screws arent a bad idea! Also would love to get an ss yoke for this Little Tank. Few more things I might still do to it.

bluefish69

I did the SS screws on my 99. All that's around is flat head screws. I cut my screws to length & put the screws in the Dramel ground the heads a little thinner then normal using a Diamond Stone. Using the same Stone with the screw in it hold the Dramel at about a 45* angle & grind the head of the screw to your liking. They look nice this way & they are flush with the ring.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 30, 2014, 06:05:07 PM
I did the SS screws on my 99. All that's around is flat head screws. I cut my screws to length & put the screws in the Dramel ground the heads a little thinner then normal using a Diamond Stone. Using the same Stone with the screw in it hold the Dramel at about a 45* angle & grind the head of the screw to your liking. They look nice this way & they are flush with the ring.

Mike

Mike you got me real interested in the SS screws after a little looking a found some nice ss screws! These were made originally for newell reels, but or an almost direct drop in due to the tib frame.

This is the ss screw and original side by side. The ss screw is just slightly longer and the great thing is it already has the 45 degree angle on the screw head.

The orginal screw have a rounded head like this.

Now with the ss screws in! Looks sweet and of course each screw is still greased

Also added a ss arm and new handle.

Now if I can just get someone to cut me an ss yoke lol. When is Lee back!

bluefish69

The Newell Screws are called Oval Head. The screws that I worked with are called Flat Head. You can get all the Flat Head SS Screws that you want at McMaster & Carr but Oval Head are hard to find in mass.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 11, 2014, 03:35:56 AM
The Newell Screws are called Oval Head. The screws that I worked with are called Flat Head. You can get all the Flat Head SS Screws that you want at McMaster & Carr but Oval Head are hard to find in mass.

Mike

I found mine at uluajunkies.com they have them in 3/8 and 3/4 size.

basto

WOW!!! what a beautiful, solid looking little reel.....much nicer than any jig master because of the double rings and stronger attachment of the side plate to the frame. Never did like the turnkey type on the jig masters and squidders (just my taste)
Congratulations on a great job.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: basto on November 25, 2014, 02:08:19 AM
WOW!!! what a beautiful, solid looking little reel.....much nicer than any jig master because of the double rings and stronger attachment of the side plate to the frame. Never did like the turnkey type on the jig masters and squidders (just my taste)
Congratulations on a great job.
Basto

I know what you mean! I had a thumb screw on a jigmaster break on me while hooked into a yft! So I definitely feel more confident with the double rings! Thanks for the kind words!

coastal_dan

Awesome!  This little guy would be a killer Tog and Trigger reel for a kayak.  Nice job sir.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Lowprofile

awesome!

after seeing this I just put in bids for two 1/0's on ebay. marked the spools and frames so if I win I can buy them too. will be fun to do them this winter. thinking they will make nice trolling reels for kings on the kayak.

Rancanfish

Well I finished mine tonight.  This is my second 1/0 ever, since I had zero luck about 10 years ago on an Ebay project.  We didn't have the upgrades and finding parts was rough. So I sold it. Anyway.....

I bought this one off Ebay since it looked a lot cleaner in pics.  So right away I dropped in Bryan's 5 stack, an anniversary spool and a new-old-stock AccuFrame from Randy.  Then I noticed the out side ring screws were sitting a bit high. So I then realized someone had put this thing together with an inside ring, on the outside, and it doesn't have a taper to the holes so the screws sit flush. So MysticParts.com to the rescue. I then figured I might as well get the SS sleeve too. Then the work started.  I couldn't get the new SS pin in so I started filing away on the post. Still had a bit of a problem as I mushroomed the pin driving it in. Back to the brass pin that dropped right in, hmmm.
Then I fit one of the Chui spacers to the side plate, but it wouldn't fit over the new sleeve.  Get out the round file,(no not the trash can), and filed away until it dropped on barely snug. Yay.
Then I put it back together and noticed my star hits the oil port, hmm.  No longer spacers available so I raided my stash of Bryan's thin washers, put it under the star and voila! She's clicking and purring. Now as soon as my larger star gets here it'll be complete.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 22, 2015, 05:03:52 AM
Well I finished mine tonight.  This is my second 1/0 ever, since I had zero luck about 10 years ago on an Ebay project.  We didn't have the upgrades and finding parts was rough. So I sold it. Anyway.....

I bought this one off Ebay since it looked a lot cleaner in pics.  So right away I dropped in Bryan's 5 stack, an anniversary spool and a new-old-stock AccuFrame from Randy.  Then I noticed the out side ring screws were sitting a bit high. So I then realized someone had put this thing together with an inside ring, on the outside, and it doesn't have a taper to the holes so the screws sit flush. So MysticParts.com to the rescue. I then figured I might as well get the SS sleeve too. Then the work started.  I couldn't get the new SS pin in so I started filing away on the post. Still had a bit of a problem as I mushroomed the pin driving it in. Back to the brass pin that dropped right in, hmmm.
Then I fit one of the Chui spacers to the side plate, but it wouldn't fit over the new sleeve.  Get out the round file,(no not the trash can), and filed away until it dropped on barely snug. Yay.
Then I put it back together and noticed my star hits the oil port, hmm.  No longer spacers available so I raided my stash of Bryan's thin washers, put it under the star and voila! She's clicking and purring. Now as soon as my larger star gets here it'll be complete.

Pictures pictures pictures,  how can I be expected to vicariously live through these great projects without the visuals? Now you have to tear it down and take pictures putting it back together.  I'll wait here, on my couch.

Rancanfish

OK since I now can post pics, I decided to add them for you David!

Rancanfish

And a final pic, since AT.com told me I couldn't add any more pics in the previous post.

thorhammer