Penn 110 1/0 (The Mini Tank)

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, October 30, 2014, 02:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I think these little reels are awesome. Just got my frame today. Thanks to all here for the handle, drag set, and frame. Now just need to double dog

Rancanfish

Nice job.  These are great little reels, I have three now.

I'm holding off on double dogging mine.  Not sure I'll ever stress it enough.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sharkman

Just got to take mine on an all day fishing trip. Unfortunately didn't catch anything big enough to stress test drags. Did catch a bunch of gray snapper (aka grunts). Going to tear back into the reel.  Something is just a little off and I cant put my finger on it.  I have a little scrubbing sound occasionally when reeling in fish and some back play.

nelz

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 24, 2016, 05:24:23 PM
Pics needed?  Pic#1 shows bridge post and sleeve with cutout area on bottom to cover oiled felt on post.  Pic #2 shows stock sleeve on bottom with a smaller I.D.
Is the oiled felt disk shown on the post a stock part? I don't remember seeing it when I serviced my 110.

mo65

Over the years there were several gear sleeve/gear post designs, this oiling felt being one of them. The most annoying design is the one with the smaller diameter post...known for throwing a cog in the wheel when wanting to upgrade to a stainless steel sleeve. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Been wanting to do a 1/0 for awhile and trying to find a "victim". I do have a 259 live bait caster and thinking of using that instead. Is it pretty much a wide 1/0 and the same tib frame and spool would work? Would the 259 be a good canidate for the available upgrades or should I keep looking for a 1/0. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on March 16, 2018, 02:34:34 PM Over the years there were several gear sleeve/gear post designs, this oiling felt being one of them.

Ok, so there was nothing there when I pulled off the sleeve, no washer or felt. The sleeve just sat on the post by itself. So this is the stock configuration then?

Benni3

How much max drag do you get ?,,,,,how much line does it hold? :) :D ;D

thorhammer

Capacity wise, it uses a 501 spool.

Decker

Quote from: Swami805 on March 16, 2018, 04:37:36 PM
Been wanting to do a 1/0 for awhile and trying to find a "victim". I do have a 259 live bait caster and thinking of using that instead. Is it pretty much a wide 1/0 and the same tib frame and spool would work? Would the 259 be a good canidate for the available upgrades or should I keep looking for a 1/0. Thanks

Sheridan, yes the 259 is just about the same.  As Mo mentioned above, some come with an older bridge with a thin post that won't work with the SS sleeves.  Here is a post where GFish ran into that:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17534.msg255990#msg255990   If you need the newer bridge, I may be able to help.   /Joe

Swami805

Thanks Joe. I think I have something that should work
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Yeah. Joe came to my rescue with a 3-99 bridge that'ed fit a ss gear sleeve upgrade. Those larger OD-stud 3-99 bridges are getting hard to find. Looked at trying to make a 3-500 or a 3-60 bridge plate fit, but just couldn't line the screw holes up with the 259 plate. The reason I used a 113H stand with 6 total screws was cause a the width a the 259 spool and the possible need to strengthen the frame, given the other upgrades.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Quote from: Decker on March 22, 2018, 02:54:46 PMAs Mo mentioned above, some come with an older bridge with a thin post that won't work with the SS sleeves. If you need the newer bridge, I may be able to help.   /Joe

Joe - can you measure the width of the post on that newer bridge? Thx.

Decker

Quote from: nelz on March 23, 2018, 02:18:47 AM
Joe - can you measure the width of the post on that newer bridge? Thx.

Sorry, Nelz, don't have one handy, but will let you know if I come across it. /Joe

mhc

I'm not confident in the accuracy of my calipers, but I measured ~ 5.5 mm (0.2165") for a newer post and ~ 4.76 mm (0.1875) for the older narrow post.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.