Penn 110 1/0 (The Mini Tank)

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, October 30, 2014, 02:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

You would get away with the thinner post, but will need to replace the spacing sleeve with one of these:
https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc/item/spacing-sleeve
One of the best upgrade out there and priced right.
Most of my reels have one.
The handle will feel a little stiff at first, but will work itself in nicely.
There is zero side way movement with the gear sleeve, no matter if the post is thinner or not...that reminds me I need to order some more.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2018, 10:53:23 AM
You would get away with the thinner post, but will need to replace the spacing sleeve with one of these:
There is zero side way movement with the gear sleeve, no matter if the post is thinner or not...that reminds me I need to order some more.

Sal
uncle sal,,,,how much max drag you think there getting?and how much 18lb or 20lb mono does it hold  ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Benni3 on March 23, 2018, 02:59:45 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2018, 10:53:23 AM

Sal
uncle sal,,,,how much max drag you think there getting?and how much 18lb or 20lb mono does it hold  ;D
Not sure what they're getting, yours I'm giving you the ok to push it to 20 lb. ;)
As for line capacity, figure 350 yds. of 20# mono... maybe 400, I don't remember.
Your reel is almost done, I made a mistake on ordering the inner rings, I ordered 1 instead of 2, I thought I did have 2 on there ::).
The second one should be here today or tomorrow, Scott's doesn't mess around when it comes to speedy delivery :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

I've been able to shim some a my gear sleeves and eliminate about 90% a the horizontal movement. I've found that old ball bearing shields fit well and look to be made a ss. So, these P. Challenger spacer sleeves get ridda the vertical slop on all stock reels using the 98-60 sleeve? How about the Cortez Conversion plates?

Edit: horizontal for me = in & out movement and vertical = wiggling back and forth.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on March 23, 2018, 04:39:02 PM
I've been able to shim some a my gear sleeves and eliminate about 90% a the horizontal movement. I've found that old ball bearing shields fit well and look to be made a ss. So, these P. Challenger spacer sleeves get ridda the vertical slop on all stock reels using the 98-60 sleeve? How about the Cortez Conversion plates?
90% by adding a shim, looks like you have it covered, no need for a spacer for you then.
No, these custom spacers do not work with Tom's plates or Accurate.
I did request the hole on those to be a little larger, but there was no interest.
You could make it work, but will need to reduce the custom spacer .
I have done this to some that requested it, but keep in mind, the chrome would be gone.
A little grease would kee it happy.
Sal

nelz

Joe, thanks anyway, Mike, thanks, great to have those measurements in case I decide to add a SS sleeve.

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2018, 10:53:23 AMYou would get away with the thinner post, but will need to replace the spacing sleeve....There is zero side way movement with the gear sleeve, no matter if the post is thinner or not...Sal

Sal, thanks for that tidbit. So if I'm understanding correctly, the slop created by the thinner post would be compensated by a tight fitting spacing sleeve, in effect leaving the gear sleeve "floating" around the post, and being supported only by the spacing sleeve? That would weaken the assembly and lead to wear inside the spacing sleeve, and would add cranking resistance as well. I would rather leave the original gear sleeve then add a SS one to a thinner post.

Alto Mare

Quote from: nelz on March 23, 2018, 09:04:49 PM
Joe, thanks anyway, Mike, thanks, great to have those measurements in case I decide to add a SS sleeve.

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2018, 10:53:23 AMYou would get away with the thinner post, but will need to replace the spacing sleeve....There is zero side way movement with the gear sleeve, no matter if the post is thinner or not...Sal

Sal, thanks for that tidbit. So if I'm understanding correctly, the slop created by the thinner post would be compensated by a tight fitting spacing sleeve, in effect leaving the gear sleeve "floating" around the post, and being supported only by the spacing sleeve? That would weak the assembly and lead to wear inside the spacing sleeve, and would add cranking resistance as well. I would rather leave the original gear sleeve then add a SS one to a thinner post.
Even though the post is thinner, check the base where it is pressed in on the bridge plate, that's where the sleeve takes most of the pressure. I have a 3-60 of the same and when comparing it to the thicker post the base is just a tad smaller.
of course if you have lots of play, I see your point and I agree with you.
I actually have one with a brass insert, but don't remember where it came from

A new bridge would make things easier.

Sal

mo65

I was just thinking...you are going to use 20lb. line. Likely your drag won't be set tighter than 10lb. I think that stock sleeve will do just fine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

Quote from: mo65 on March 23, 2018, 09:53:34 PM
I was just thinking...you are going to use 20lb. line. Likely your drag won't be set tighter than 10lb. I think that stock sleeve will do just fine. 8)
65lb power pro maxcoutro =12lb ,,,,,it alot of math,,,I know fins is better ;D

nelz

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2018, 09:43:41 PMEven though the post is thinner, check the base where it is pressed in on the bridge plate, that's where the sleeve takes most of the pressure.

Ah-ha, I kinda figured that might be the case.