DISCONTINUED Daiwa Sealine 400H/400HW/450H/450HW 5+1 Drag Kits - $30 shipped USA

Started by Bryan Young, November 02, 2014, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Long awaiting Daiwa 400H/400HW/450H/450HW 5+1 Drag Kits are now available.  

As you know the Daiwa 400H/400HW/450H/450HW drag system leaved a lot to be desired.  Could you get 22# of drag as advertised by Daiwa.  I could not.  I was lucky to get 15# of drag and it was sticky especially during hard runs.

Here are the pics of my original drag set-up.

Here is the Ultimate Upgrade solution.

As you can see in the above photos, you will still need to use 2 of the original drag stack metal washer.  The lower keyed washer is to ensure that the 2nd Carbontex drag washer sits above the slot in the main gear for the eared washer (See diagram below), and the last eared washer it to bring the stack height to near stock thickness.

The cost of the new drag kit is $28 shipped in the USA.  International orders will incur actual shipping charges.

Please PM me here or send me an email to Ultimate.Upgrade@yahoo.com.

Thank you.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

UtahTuna

Bryan

Received the Daiwa 400H kit yesterday, thanks. The items look good to me, I'll install them soon and will post a report of the results.

I'm looking mostly for a smoother operation of the drags since the stock parts create enough drag but it can be bouncy and unstable, especially when the drag first begins to slip.

My two stock Daiwa keyed washers are both quite thick so I may need to play a bit to make sure the stack isn't too tall. I may need to leave the upper thin keyed washer out. It is in parallel with the top thick keyed washer so I could do that.

I've also ordered some Smooth Drag Carbontex washers for my old Trinidad & Torium 20 & 30 reels. I'll post my results for these reels. One had broken ears on the inner tube drive shaft extension. I didn't know there was a problem until I opened it, wonder how many years it has been broken.

Thanks!

UtahTuna

Bryan Young

There are 2 thicknesses of the keyed washers in the Daiwa stack.  Use the thinner one for the first keyed washer.  This will wilt the next eared washer above where the slot ends in the main gear.  Everything should fit as described with good smooth and solid drags
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

UtahTuna

Hi Bryan.

Today I installed the new Carbontex drags and your keyed & eared washers in my old Daiwa 400H.

My Daiwa keyed washers are both quite thick, 2.37 mm thick.
My Daiwa washer is 1.41 mm thick.

Without a thinner Daiwa keyed washer I was unable to install in the order you recommend.

Because I had machined the ear slots in the gear to a deeper level several weeks ago, I was able to re-order the washers and was then able to get all washers installed with both eared washers being in the gear slots.

The stack is a bit shorter but it works great, the star wheel doesn't hit the bearing adjustment knob.

I checked the drag with a full spool of line and, with the drag as tight as my fingers would allow (no tools), I have 27 pounds of drag. I'm amazed and am also sure I won't fish with this high of a drag setting. Something would fail I'm sure.

Conclusion: Your drag kit is a winner.

Thanks,

UtahTuna

Mjg378

Bryan.   Thank you for sending the kit so quickly.   All I can say is amazing!   ;D
Now I can't wait to test it out.  Thank you again.  Mike G

broadway

Hey Bry, will these fit the 300HW ...try finding one of them 8)?  Its the 300H with a 316 ss spool.
Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Hi Dom,

No the 400h drag kit will not fit in the 300. I'm strappe with CAsh at the moment so I will not be able to make them anytime soon. Sorry.
Bryan

Bryan Young

Eddie K

Hello Bryan, do you make a kit for the Diawa Sealine 900? 

Bryan Young

Hi Eddie,

Alan Tani makes kits for Daiwa Sealine 900 H.

Bryan

crackerman

Hi Bryan, it's been a good while since I have ordered from you. I am in need of a drag kit for daiwa 450h. We havent been fishing in a while, and am now in need of upgrades for the gear!

Please let me know if you can scrounge a set up, or where I might be able to.

RowdyW

Quote from: crackerman on July 06, 2021, 03:27:06 PM
Hi Bryan, it's been a good while since I have ordered from you. I am in need of a drag kit for daiwa 450h. We havent been fishing in a while, and am now in need of upgrades for the gear!

Please let me know if you can scrounge a set up, or where I might be able to.
See reply #7

crackerman

Yes rowdy, out of stock, discontinued by manufacturer... I checked there first.

alantani

Quote from: crackerman on July 06, 2021, 05:19:43 PM
Yes rowdy, out of stock, discontinued by manufacturer... I checked there first.

found one and sent you a pm!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!