Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

That looks very nice Fred, but i didn't notice any Delrin washers, what's up with that? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Sal --

I have about 30 or 40 Delrins -- and go through about 20 a month.

Many times I just put a Cal's greased smaller CF under the gear. 

They both work well -- although the Delrin is my favorite -- because it works better -- but if I did every upgrade on clients reels -- no one could afford the bill.

So I use Delrin most times -- but for a $20 complete service & a new drag stack, UG washer + some change out parts at no charge -- it still is $30.

I am slowly moving over to Delrin -- but still like the greased CF UG nearly as well.

And I have a lot of washers to use up first.

So it depends on the client, their expectations, and how they will likely treat the reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

fred,  you are the man,  unbelieveable,   that qualifies for photos of the year.  our hats off to you,fantastic.   harryk

Robert Janssen

broadway

Impressive is my first thought... my second is HOLY CRAP, like River Rat said.
You left me speechless, which ain't easy!
Dom

steelfish

holy wacamole!!!

thats impresive. ..speachless

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Fred, i like how you say "some line"......which is probably several miles....

Tiddlerbasher

I'm dribbling now - Holy guacamole 8)

skrilla

Impressive indeed. So when's the garage sale?  ;D

Islandgypsy

The reel repair "Hall of Fame!"....

Jerseymic

jeff smith

Absolutely fantastic Fred. When I next visit your country, is there any chance I can buy a ticket to a guided tour of your workshop???   Beats the 'Canyon' hands down IMHO.......not sure the wife would share my enthusiasm however.

Leo Battle

Quote from: foakes on November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM
Going through a bunch of old reels over the weekend -- and found a few neat old oddball spinners  (probably no one else likes them as much as I do -- but that's OK).  They are all mostly metal, ball bearing, and well made from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.

2 old Italian Alcedo Microns
A Italian Cargem 44M
Ocean City 350
Ocean City 300, 310, 320
Daiwa A-130RL
Daiwa GS-13S
Daiwa 100X
Zebco 6010
Abu Cardinal 653
Shakespeare 2210
Shakespeare 2240
Rogue 150

The old Rogue is kind of neat.  There is a finger lever up and behind the rotor that will put the spool into free-spool when pressed with your finger.

There were the usual other suspects like Mitchell, Dam Quick, Penn, Shimano, Ocean City, Pflueger, Johnson, Langley, Ryobi, lots of old baitcasters, fly reels, and around 400 just junk or parts reels.  About 1500 total.

Best,

Fred

anglingarchitect

My first reel was a spining reel my dad got at work as a present that he re-gifted to me. round main gear housing compact body.

Not sure what ever happened to it. At some point as a teen I bought an Ambassador 6000C for my self I owned for at least 25 years, but I lost it out of a boat fishing the back waters of the Chassahwitzka river for snook. I loved that reel, but never got another.

foakes

Do you know which reel it was, AA?

Sounds a little like a Mitchell 304.

What size, and what color?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.