Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Fred,
    You bring reel tinkering to a new level... the bar was already way over my head... you go boy!
Come up for air,
Dom

foakes

Got the old D.A.M. Quick 270 Super completely cleaned, restored, upgraded, serviced, and ready to go for a member of this board.

This reel was introduced around 1954 -- and production continued for around 10 years, or so.  This particular one is from about 1960.

These are very durable surf reels -- they are set up and designed for salt water.

Metal spool, worm drive, very heavy bail system -- not beefed up, just over engineered for long-term durability and function.  Components are of superior quality and overbuilt.

Here it is ultrasonically cleaned and ready for assembly --

Completed --

Notice a few detail things --

Replaceable stand
Double reinforced bail and bail roller system

Don't toss these old soldiers away -- fix them up and use them -- you will be pleasantly surprised.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

Better than new... someone just got Hooked Up!
Nice reel and nice job,
Dom

Tightlines667

That does look like one tuff little reel. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

This reel is far from little John! Its bigger than a 9500ss! :o
I finally have a reel serviced from the Dam Quick Master! ;D

Definitely a Long Lost Warhorse! I am in your debt Fred! This reel is Awesome!

I never was a fan of German Vehicles. Mainly Just because the repairs and parts were so expensive.
I think Fred has taken care of the parts and repairs cost. Thanks Fred! ;)
Life is Good!

MarkT

German vehicles? Yeah, I had a '82 Audi GT Coupe, never again.  I was always disappointed that it didn't have a turret rather than a sun roof. Crappy Bosch electrical system and bad CV joints. Drove great when it worked. I was always surprised when Motortrend picked it as the top sport sedan.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

txangler81

So where is this at? I'm excited to see how many reels where put together. I'm thinking its going to be pushing 60 plus reels.

Dustin

foakes

Got about 5 more completed -- still going strong -- plenty of parts, pieces, and bones left to assemble.

Will keep up until no more can be completed easily.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

UKChris

Dear Fred,

I just want to thank you for the inspiration!

Oh, and for the photo that shows my own collection of 'work in progress' is but a trifle.

68lb of parts is breath-taking but great to see real reels emerge.

foakes

This reel will not be included in the final count for the guess the number of reels completed contest.

Because it was received in the mail just a couple of days ago.

However, wanted to share before cracking it open.

9/0 Senator -- needs cleaning, service, and a few key upgrades -- nothing too wild -- just basics.

Seems to operate very well -- no issues -- good bones to work with.

I have long maintained -- a properly set up 9/0 or 6/0 with an aluminum frame, greased CF & SS stack, good under gear washer, and properly serviced -- will successfully land most anything in the Ocean, that is catchable.

Weak spot on these 9/0s -- has always been the potential for frame twist and torque.  This frame will eliminate that.

Then we may look at a SS gear set, SS sleeve, better handle -- although these stock handles are great.

Keeping this for myself -- as one of our members actually found it buried in his garage -- and did not know he had it.  Can you believe that!

Thanks, Daron!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

broadway

That frame looks familiar.  It not only prevents twist but looks oh-so-pretty too ;)
Enjoy the frame Fred... Daron you're too kind.
Good stuff,
Dom

harryk3616

daron is a great guy, he's on the A-list, like you, sal and a bunch of others, gary, fred, boy the list goes on, just a bunch of great members

Shark Hunter

If anybody is deserving. its Fred! ;)
Life is Good!

harryk3616

hey  dom, i didn't mention your name cause  i was refering to your comment about daron and fred, i hope you realized that