Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

I think it was brown Fred, don't think it was a Mitchell, totally round reel body maybe Phluger?

I looked up some 50's reels it was a Luxor, I saw a picture that looked just like it.

Mark

foakes

Some of the French reels had round bodies. 

If you can narrow it down -- let me know, and we might get lucky with one I have that I could just send you.

Most of the round bodies were 50s and very early 60s.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on May 25, 2015, 04:53:31 PM

For now, this project is completed -- and I am sorry to bore you with all of this -- but just wanted to share the last bit...

Bore me?? Hardly!! I read every page of this thread...AWESOME! Those parts bins are killin' me. I have ALL my parts in a single padded mailing envelope...I feel so small...;) :D :P

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: foakes on November 03, 2014, 03:41:59 PM
Looked up a little history on that old Rogue reel from the 60s --

John Shaw, independent reelmaker -- each assembled by hand -- high quality.

Up in Keta Country -- Grants Pass, Oregon.

By 1960 it was evident that those new fangled spinning reels were here to stay, and Shaw turned his attention to producing a fixed spool reel equal to the quality of his other Rogue Reel. The result was the Model 150 Rogue Spinning Reel, which came out in 1962.

The Rogue 150 was a high quality machine that incorporated the floating disk drag principal in a spinning reel. This drag was innovative, for it was not found in the spool, or on the rear of the reel. The drag adjustment was on the back of the cup, and it also incorporated a finger lever. The spinning reel drag lever worked the same as on the Model 200 single action reel - push the lever forward and you had a free spool; pull it back and you could increase the brake to full lockup.

This spinning reel was just as high quality as Shaw's other reels. The frame, spool, and external brake parts were cast from an aluminum alloy. The working parts were helical cut gears of steel, caged needle bearings on the gear shaft with other bearings of oil-ite bronze. The bail roller did that - it rolled rather than just being a hardened piece over which the line passed. The bail was made of stainless steel, and the bail trip spring was adjustable. You didn't need to back up the handle and slam it forward to make the bail trip with a Rogue reel. It always sprung to retrieve position easily.

This was a large spinning reel, made for the steelhead and salmon the Oregon. The spools  held 475 yards of 8 pound test monofilament, or 200 yards of 15 pound test monofilament. The spool only held the  line and had no other mechanical parts within. Extra spools were available. It was made in a left handed model as well as the standard right hand version.

The Model 150 Rogue Spinning Reel came out at a list price of $37.50, but by the 1980s it was selling (or not selling) for $87.50, including a simulated leather case. In the late 1990s John Shaw was still assembling spinning reels on demand, from parts on hand.

From gladiolus farmer to maker of the famous Rogue Reels, John Shaw led a very full life. He was eighty-eight years old when he died at his home in Grant Pass on May 13, 2001.

Phil White, with help from, and photo by, Ernie Johnson

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Got one of those Rogue 150's. A solid Reel through and through. Surprised nobody else tried to copy or imitate the unique finger control drag system. Mine's a lefty.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishy247

Looking at your parts inventory and workshop, Fred, all I can seem to say or think is "WOW"....
How long have you been collecting parts anyways??

Awesome job on all those reels, BTW....again....WOW!!!

foakes

Quote from: Fishy247 on July 02, 2016, 11:07:05 PM
How long have you been collecting parts anyways??

In Dog Years, only about 7 or 8...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mjg378

larry3142

Hello Fred hope your all doing well,its a little crazy here in Delaware with the virus thing but staying safe.  I would like to guess 58 reels in that box.I finally put a face to your name lol  Those Acedo Microns I see there in the photos are they for sale and what condition are they in? I have one and in great condition bought on the bay 2 years for $35 I love these reels and I know nobody likes to work on them but I do found find  some tricks to service these reels (the bearings you know what I mean) I was a machnist toool and die maker for many years you just know how mess with things.
Anyway let me know

foakes

I think I have (3) Larry —

2 Italian, and one Made in Japan.

Think the badges are missing on one or two — never broke them open.  Just been sitting in the bins for a few decades.

All operate properly — so they likely each need a thorough cleaning and service. 

I also have a couple of the unusual drag knobs for these in the loose drag nut bins.

You are welcome to those also.

These are not the reels that I work on at this point in my life — so they are for sale if someone wants them.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oc1

Quote from: foakes on January 05, 2021, 07:27:33 PM
I also have a couple of the unusual drag knobs for these in the loose drag nut bins.
Best, Fred

Are those the knob that looks like an airplane propeller?  Alcidos were one of the best in their day.
-s

Midway Tommy

Steve, Are you thinking RU?

This is a RU Sport.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ddselvig

I know this is an old post, but this year I made it my mission to acquire all the same model reels we used during our childhood. Some reels are ones my dad used, some my uncles used, some reels I used. It was a real eye opener when I found that most of the reels we had back then I could buy off eBay for very little cash outlay. Almost all of the ones I reacquired were less than $20, some less than $10. I acquired a Johnson Century 100A, Pflueger Akron, Shakespeare Marhoff, Shakespeare Summit, Shakespeare 1766 II, Shakespeare 1755 Wonderspin, and an assortment of rods over fify years old. It was a lot of fun finding them. It was even more fun fishing with them. I posted a video of me fishing with some of my vintage rods and reels on YouTube. See it at:

Wompus Cat

Man  dat brings back some Reel Good Memories
Those Bugle Mouth Bass are a Fight for sure! The 5 Gallon Bucket is my Go To Gear as well.
Thanks for Sharing this Video!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Thanks, ddselvig!

Great idea!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.