cabin layout

Started by alantani, November 06, 2014, 01:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the layout of the cabins and bunks is pretty simple.  anything forward of the stairway is quieter, but can get pretty bumpy.  anything aft is going to be more stable, but the engine noise can be deafening.  ear plugs are a must.  i tried the orange and green foam earplugs but was not happy with them.  i finally settled on the wax earplugs. i think they work the best.  big ear muffs or noise cancelling headphones might work if your a back sleeper.  bring sweatpants and a sweat shirt to sleep in.  the cabins can get very cold.  make sure you have a flashlight handy, plus an alarm clock if you are a heavy sleeper.  you do not want to miss out on breakfast or a good early morning bite. 

i can still climb in and out of the top bunks, but i do not want the older guys having to climb.  that will mean that the younger guys get the top bunks and the older guys get the lower ones.  you may get split up from your friends if both of you are young or both of you are old.   and then there is the issue of how far forward or aft you are.  i'm going to try to break it up as best i can, but i will need you guys to check out the cabins and let me know if you have a preference.  here is the diagram of the cabins.

QuoteThe SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE is a small passenger vessel, not a cruise ship. She is 88 feet long and 25 feet wide and provides excellent stability. Accommodations are provided in 14 small, air-conditioned cabins with limited storage space. Most cabins have upper and lower bunk beds, wall to wall carpet, and reading lights. Four toilets and three freshwater showers are located on the main deck. Meals are prepared fresh daily and all passengers are served in one seating. The galley is equipped with a TV, DVD player and natural history books. Outside seating is available on the main deck as well as on the upper deck.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Umm... assuming I'm fortunate enough to land a spot on the June trip, what happens if no other gals want to go? Who do I get to bunk with? (I'm a lower-bunk oldie.)  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

no, you get a cabin by yourself!  there is a really nice lower double.  i'll reserve that one for you.  hey, privileges of rank!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Boss!
You never cease to amaze me. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on November 06, 2014, 05:15:40 PM
no, you get a cabin by yourself!  there is a really nice lower double.  i'll reserve that one for you.  hey, privileges of rank!  ;D
Hey Aiala it looks like Alan and the guys are going to take care of you.  There will be a ballot for Queen of the Spirit of Adventure.  You're a shoe in even if Wayne goes on the trip.  The boat packs a tiara for the ceremony.   :D  Oh BTW did I tell you the queen has to eat the heart from the first tuna.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on November 08, 2014, 05:45:57 PM
Hey Aiala, it looks like Alan and the guys are going to take care of you. There will be a ballot for Queen of the Spirit of Adventure.  You're a shoe-in even if Wayne goes on the trip. The boat packs a tiara for the ceremony.   :D  Oh BTW did I tell you the queen has to eat the heart from the first tuna?   ::) Dominick

Well, I'm hoping some other gals will decide to come, but aren't you going to be aboard, Dom? If you are, I'll certainly vote for you.  ;D

The tiara I can do, but not the tuna heart, ye gods!! My stepson did that last summer on the ROYAL STAR... the thing was still beating... I almost passed out...   :P

Big Tim

Aiala, I prefer my sushi chilled below the bacteria break temp, but I did do the Albacore heart and Bud Light once...Kinda gross. I will protect you, but if Dom is on the boat we will all need protection  ;D ;D ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on November 08, 2014, 07:28:45 PM
Quote from: Dominick on November 08, 2014, 05:45:57 PM
Hey Aiala, it looks like Alan and the guys are going to take care of you. There will be a ballot for Queen of the Spirit of Adventure.  You're a shoe-in even if Wayne goes on the trip. The boat packs a tiara for the ceremony.   :D  Oh BTW did I tell you the queen has to eat the heart from the first tuna?   ::) Dominick

Well, I'm hoping some other gals will decide to come, but aren't you going to be aboard, Dom? If you are, I'll certainly vote for you.  ;D

The tiara I can do, but not the tuna heart, ye gods!! My stepson did that last summer on the ROYAL STAR... the thing was still beating... I almost passed out...   :P
I am hoping some other women might be tempted to join the trip so that you can feel a little more comfortable, although everyone I've met on this site will treat you well.  As far as my being on a boat for more than one day at a time it is not going to happen.  I like fishing one day and taking a day off to lie around the pool with a pena colada.  That is what I like about fishing in Cabo.  You are into tuna, marlin, dorado and wahoo in 15 minutes from the dock.  No need to go on a 12 hour or more boat ride to hook into cow tuna.  From San Jose del Cabo to Inner Gordo Banks is just about 15 minutes.  About the tuna heart, according to tradition you are supposed to hold the beating heart in your teeth until the beats slow then chew.   :P :P Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DCH

Alan, I'll take the back of the boat bunk(s) just like last year, those diesels purring all night didn't bother me after the second day. I'll see Wes tomorrow and encourage him to send funds asap. Certainly looking forward to another great trip with everyone........D-

Aiala

Quote from: Big Tim on November 08, 2014, 09:46:21 PM
Aiala, I prefer my sushi chilled below the bacteria break temp, but I did do the Albacore heart and Bud Light once...Kinda gross. I will protect you, but if Dom is on the boat we will all need protection  ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim, I'm not much for sushi and/or beer, but I appreciate the offer of protection; although it appears the voyage will be Dom-less, as he doesn't care for long boat rides. Too bad.  :'(

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on November 08, 2014, 11:07:11 PM
I am hoping some other women might be tempted to join the trip so that you can feel a little more comfortable, although everyone I've met on this site will treat you well.  As far as my being on a boat for more than one day at a time it is not going to happen.  I like fishing one day and taking a day off to lie around the pool with a piña colada.  That is what I like about fishing in Cabo.  You are into tuna, marlin, dorado and wahoo in 15 minutes from the dock.  No need to go on a 12 hour or more boat ride to hook into cow tuna.  From San Jose del Cabo to Inner Gordo Banks is just about 15 minutes.  About the tuna heart, according to tradition you are supposed to hold the beating heart in your teeth until the beats slow then chew.   :P :P Dominick

Well, Dom, you certainly can't go wrong fishing in Cabo. I caught a nice striped marlin there once... can't recollect what gear I used, but it wasn't a 2-speed, and that fish kicked my butt.

I hope you and your pals get into those wahoo... they're biting like crazy down south. If you want to know what a big-time 'hoo bite is like, check out the November 8th report from Tim Ekstrom, skipper of the ROYAL STAR: http://www.royalstarsportfishing.com/reports.php

Enjoy those piña coladas, good luck and tight lines!   ;)

~A~

Dominick

Aiala, thanks for the link.  Although the captain gave you no mention in the text there was a picture of you with a very nice Dodo.  My biggest fish from Los Cabos is a 300lb blue.  Here is a link to the picture of it being dragged to the cutting table.  It is one of my favorite photos.  It looks almost old world.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2349.0  Dominick

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on November 09, 2014, 09:36:41 PM
Aiala, thanks for the link.  Although the captain gave you no mention in the text there was a picture of you with a very nice Dodo.  My biggest fish from Los Cabos is a 300lb blue.  Here is a link to the picture of it being dragged to the cutting table.  It is one of my favorite photos.  It looks almost old world.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2349.0  Dominick

That's a huge fish, Dominick! My striper was nowhere near that big. Maybe you'll catch an even bigger one this time...?

Actually, Tim did mention me in the text... he knows me as "Lannie", which is what I go by in the outside world. "Aiala" is actually a transliteration of my Hebrew name (I'm a Jewish lady). It means "doe", as in doe, a deer, a female deer.   ;)

~A~

SoCalAngler

Aiala,

If you have the opportunity to sleep in the princes cabin, I'd go for it.

I'm pretty much sure Annemarie will check everybody in and if she does ask how the cabin got its name, not what a lot of you may think. It is a great story on how Mike, the owner of the SOA, and Annemarie met.

Anyway its a great cabin and you wont have to share. A double lower bunk, nice.(Edit I thing it is a queen sized bed). I charteremastered the SOA for 25 years strait and with the owner Mike Keating, or Brian which owners a piece of the boat I believe, on board it will make for a great trip. For me when a owner is on the boat or someone that owns some part of it is on the trip is makes for a sweet ride.

SoCalAngler

Oh and here is a couple of picks from 16 years ago with my son with his first BFT on the SOA.

As you can see here in this pic Shaun has warmed up and took off my jacket so he can catch a few more.