Pflueger Supreme XT 9040XT

Started by fsrmn, November 09, 2014, 08:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

When I finished servicing the reel it has a rough bumpy crank to it now . It was smooth as butter before I serviced it, just a little stiff. I can't seem to find a schematic on the 9040XT (the 9035xt is a little different) model so I might have a washer in the wrong place, but I don't think so. It seems to be caused by the main gear and the pinion gear not aligning properly. It has a little up and down play in the pinion that I didn't notice before. The way the clutch is, it can only be assembled one way. All the bearings are good and spin free and the plastic bushing that guides the main shaft seems fine.
  If anyone has any knowledge on this model or ran across something like this before or a schematic. The help would be greatly appreciated. I have taken it apart about 5 times now and changed from grease to oil and back. Nothing seems to help it. The needle bearings in the clutch are a real PITA >:(
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

foakes

This may help, fsrmn --

Sounds from your description like a main & pinion issue.

If you have all of the washers seated correctly -- then try another washer between the bearing and main gear -- just to push it slightly away from the pinion -- or take one of the outer main washers and put it between the main gear and the main bearing -- light grease is your best bet on these gears -- try to keep the grease away from the small parts with springs -- just lightly oil these.

Good luck & let us know.

Best,

Fred

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/displayimage.php?pid=5914

Link should work now -- if not, just go to Mikes Reel Repair.
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Three se7ens

I'll second that it's probably the shims on the main gear. 

fsrmn

Thanks for responding ;D I couldn't get the link to the schematic to open  :'(  I will try moving the washers when I get home from work in the morning.

foakes

Modified link fsrmn --

Should open now...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fsrmn

Thanks for the  schematic Fred. Funny, there are things on the schematic that are not on the reel and things on the reel that are not on the schematic. I bought the reel new so no one has been inside it except me. ???
  I am ordering some new shim washers for the main gear from ereplacements and a new clutch spring which just disappeared. Hopefully that will take care of it. I will keep you posted.

fsrmn

Update on the repair.  Got the shims and put everything back together. I added a shim to the non handle side and that seemed to eliminate the grinding. The roller bearings in the clutch were a major PITA. Finally used a pair of tweezers and pushed them in from the inside just to have several of them fall out when putting the clutch on the shaft >:(. The reel is smooth now but a just a little stiff. I think it might be from the grease. I oiled the bearings, clutch and shaft but greased the rest. Thanks for the help and the schematic. Henry