How many metal washers in 113HSP drag stack?

Started by FatTuna, November 18, 2014, 03:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

How many metal washers should be in the drag stack for a 113HSP? I just bought a few new senators from different sellers online and they all have seven metal washers inside. Two eared, four flat, and one curved one. Is that correct? It's confusing because on MysticParts.com they list only six in the schematic.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Depending on who you buy them from, but I have seen as little as 2 eared and 3 keyed metal washers.  I have see as many as 2 eared and 4 keyed metals washers plus a belleville spring washer.  The extra keyed washers are use to fill up the drag stack if needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

Thanks for the advice Bryan.

So would it be okay to use it with or without the extra keyed washer? The star on this one feels pretty tight. It feels better to me with one less washer but I wasn't sure.

Bryan Young

As long as your drag stack consists of keyed eared keyed eared keyed then belleville. you will be fine.  You can add extra keyed washers between the last keyed and bellevilled washer if you need to tighten up your drag stack.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

crackerman

Use whatever you need to that gives you almost free spool with star backed off , and without drag star bottoming out on side plate before belleville is completely compressed and achieve max drag.

FatTuna

Thanks guys.

I thought about it and I think that the HSP model has the extra keyed washer because the spool is so heavy, especially when it is filled with wire. I tested it with a full spool of wire; without the extra keyed washer the gear sleeve and handle move a little bit. Seeing as I won't be casting this reel, the extra washer seems to give it better support. In my regular 113h the extra washer just takes away from the free spool. I think that I will just leave it in there.

mizmo67

I'll add notes here for future readers, also.

Because the plates changed over time, sometimes an older reel needs an extra metal washer. That's why Penn started including an extra one in the metal set.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com