Pflueger Summit 1993

Started by Lingwendil, July 26, 2020, 06:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Here's a very fun little reel, that in my opinion anybody that appreciates older gear should own at least one example. Truly a symbol of a bygone era. In typical Pflueger fashion, it's a 4-1 gear ratio, has a clicker, and is direct drive. They have a very simple cast control that actually works fairly well. This is the 1993 "L" model, denoting a lightweight aluminum spool. Cork arbors were also available for these reels as an accessory that you placed onto the spool. I find that they cast very well with typical mono of decent size, I personally run 12# trilene big game on one and haven't backlashed it badly yet.

They are available pretty commonly all over auction sites, and most of them can be had in very good condition for less than ~$40, sometimes even with the original box. I snagged this one for $12 shipped, and it needed a replacement screw for one of the posts. Can't beat that :)

Even as it came this reel looked pretty good-

A penn wrench has the perfect fit to remove the handle nut on these, and it's a good idea to use them, most of the screws and nuts are rather soft and mar easily.

Doesn't look too bad inside-

Simple backlash adjustment- basically a knob to put tension on the side of the spool. I like this better than simply tightening the main bearings.

All apart! Now just to rub it all down and get it back together.

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Lingwendil

Now to get it all back together.

Gorgeous reel!

Hope you guys liked the pics, these little Pflueger reels sure are interesting.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Swami805

Good job on that reel. It cleaned up nicely.
I bought one just to display for the engraving. It looks like a watch or something. That must be pretty time consuming to do although I have no idea how it's done.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Hand engraving would be too expensive and they didn't have CNC machines.  It was probably stamped into the metal.
-steve

Sharkb8

Good job thanks for showing us the inside I enjoy cleaning up reels when I get them. When I got one it was so clean I didn't touch it, the reason why I got  one of these reels was for the patterns on the reel the look great.

Kim