ABU 6600c3 Lever Drag

Started by ssiniscalchi, October 12, 2010, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssiniscalchi

Hi Alan, a few months ago i bought this little but very interesting reel but i saw that it has a big, think and somewhat sticky cork drag washer glued to the left side of the spool.
The first thing that came into my mind is that the washer isn't fixed in place with a strong glue. I was able to pry it out and the first i thought was that it was glued with some sort of a cheap contact cement....
The second thing was that it is quite thick, something like 3 millimeters. Not being able to use a C clip i can't just stack 2 carbon fiber and a metal washer like if it would be a star drag stack (I'm not sure even if this would have worked at all) but my thought is to glue 2 or 3 HT100 washers to make a tall one. Or just glue 2 think carbon fiber washers to a metal one.
Do you know if this is a viable solution? If so, which kind of glue should i use?

Any input will be very appreciated.

Regards,
Sebastian

alantani

an epoxy would probably work.  there is also loctite 330, but it is way to expensive.  a couple of small screws might also work well if there was room. 

it's been a while since i've opened up one of these.  they never sold well, and for obvious reasons. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

hi sebastion,i have the same reel and what i did.brush the cork washer with acetone and it came off easily.i sanded the cork washer down until the ht-100 fitted on top and level with the rim of the spool.then glued the cork in place then the ht-100 to the cork.make sure no glue on the working surface of the drag.cals grease.ive got plenty of drag,dont  know what maximun drag is because i dont go over 5lb on this reel.very smooth.i used a super glue called shock proof by selleys.the reel is a delight now.hope this helps.cheers  maxi drag is 7lb,plenty freespool

ssiniscalchi

Awesome, that's a very nice idea that never thought about!
I'll give it a try ;D

Hey Alan, when you say that the reel never sold well for obvious reasons, what are these? I don't see anything bad with the reel (other than the cork washer) for inshore applications and all seems to be quite sturdy if kept below 7 or 8 pounds of drag. It also has plenty of freespool (like every other Ambassadeur) and the size seems to be the right one.

Thanks guys!
Sebastian

wallacewt

in oz when they 1st came out they were shockers,i took mine back without ever using it,forget now what was wrong,long time ago,they replaced it for no charge.still no good,i think it was grey colour.they told me another new one was coming and i could update for a small fee.which i did.mine is deep royal blue in colour but it still had the silly cork washers.at the time i didnt understand drag very well so i didnt use it.here comes mr wiz,put the greased washer on top of the cork,gave it a proper service and the reel is great.imho 5lb drag is the max.bushers not bearings,freespool,drag,little maintenence,all good.it does what it is meant for.light fishing.cheers